GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

1980 Chevy 1/2 ton no tail lights (totally stumped)

This is a discussion on 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton no tail lights (totally stumped) within the Classics forums, part of the General Discussion category; So I have been for the past two days trying to find the reason why my 80 chevy 1/2 ton ...

1980 Chevy 1/2 ton no tail lights (totally stumped)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    So I have been for the past two days trying to find the reason why my 80 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd shortbox has no tail lights. Brake lights and blinkers work fine. So far I have checked the fuses (visually), replaced the light switch in the dash, cleaned up and replaced the ground behind the drivers side tail light housing, rewired and replaced a bulb housing on the drivers side that looked corroded, and I have inspected the split in the harness at the end of the frame. I also chased the wiring down the frame rail looking for a open area but found nothing. Is there any thing else I am missing here?

Re: 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton no tail lights (totally stumped)

are the correct bulbs installed? Don't laugh, I've seen it more that once.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
    are the correct bulbs installed? Don't laugh, I've seen it more that once.

Yes I believe so, there are three bulbs total. The upper bulb is a dual filament and from what I got it is for brakes and blinkers. there is another one below it which is the same size but a single filament and I am not getting it to do anything. there is also a much smaller bulb which is on the side of the housing which I believe may be the running light which is what is not working. I switched a few bulbs around from my parts truck today and before I took out the light switch from it all the lights were functioning properly. I am however kicking myself in the a** for not taking the lens covers off and actually seeing which bulbs do what. I assuming that the lower bulb is for the reverse light which is on the bottom of the lens. and no I have not checked to see if I have funtioning reverse lights.

I Ain't Never Growin' Up!

X2 on checking for the right bulbs.

When/why did they stop working, you just got it that way, someone worked on it and then they quit, etc?

Are any/all of the other park lights working, on the front and/ or the dash lights?

Get a test light, and look under the back, near the frame rail/bumper mount area. you should see a rubber plug, about 1" in dia. pull it apart, check for corrosion. it'll have 4 blades in it, one each for park lights, reverse, left turn/brake, and right turn/brake. See if you have power to here for each one.
    Then, get a power source, either an extra battery (remember to ground it to the frame as well) or a long lead from the truck battery (AND PUT A FUSE IN IT!!! DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW THAT'S IMPORTANT!!) and feed power to each circuit, see what works and what doesn't. Last, if anything still doesn't work, try leaving the power fed to it, then run a ground from the side of the bulb, and touch a good clean ground point somewhere.

Another place to check is if is has, or ever had, a trailer light plug on it, no one ever does a good job wiring them, normally just scotchlocks and a little tape, because they need lights right now and they'll "get around to fixing it later". It's common anywhere in a salt belt, a pinhole or cut in the insulation and the wire inside will corrode and break, but you can't see it

Quote Originally Posted by TroyB890 View Post
    So I have been for the past two days trying to find the reason why my 80 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd shortbox has no tail lights. Brake lights and blinkers work fine. So far I have checked the fuses (visually), replaced the light switch in the dash, cleaned up and replaced the ground behind the drivers side tail light housing, rewired and replaced a bulb housing on the drivers side that looked corroded, and I have inspected the split in the harness at the end of the frame. I also chased the wiring down the frame rail looking for a open area but found nothing. Is there any thing else I am missing here?
    I had the same problem. It ended up being a short in the wiring, deep in the truck that I couldn't find. I had to have it re wired, sucked balls. I tried everything as well, it had to do with the trailer wiring I believe as well that was installed before I bought the pick up. Hopefully you find the problem.

Matt