***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get "brown look" off of tires

This is a discussion on How to get "brown look" off of tires within the Detailing forums, part of the General Discussion category; On this truck i just purchased it has a brown tone to the tires that will not scrub off. I ...

How to get "brown look" off of tires

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    On this truck i just purchased it has a brown tone to the tires that will not scrub off. I have heard some of you state is is from the spray on tire shine? Any ideas on how to get rid of it.
    2006 V-Max LT

275/70R18 Cooper STT, 18x9.5 Rev Wheels, Pro Comp Leaf Springs, 4.10s, Blackbear Tune, Airaid Intake

Re: How to get "brown look" off of tires

Mine usually turn brown after i use tire shine Takes awhile but i usually just spray on wheel cleaner and brown goes away...

Original Gold Member 97Silverado's Avatar

Westleys Bleche White.

Much like alcohol, tobacco, and voting there should be an age requirement for computer usage.
    "Drag racing helps me get rid of all my extra cash."
    Team credit card holder and crew chief - "Hot Rod" Heather JD4193 & Holly "Wood" JD4145

Quote Originally Posted by 97Silverado
    Westleys Bleche White.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by 97Silverado
    Westleys Bleche White.
    X3, with a stiff bristled nylon brush, tires'll be black as wesley snipes when your done

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

Bleache white works great and its cheap.
    "02" Silverado Reg. Cab 6' Box 4.8 2WD

dave94K1500

Quote Originally Posted by foreman00081
    X3, with a stiff bristled nylon brush, tires'll be black as wesley snipes when your done

i found that simple green and a towel wipes it all right off.
    Last edited by dave94K1500; 06-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Hate to sound like the oddball but I didn't have much luck using Whestleys. I still had brown residue on the tires. I tried using Pinnacle Tire and Wheel Cleaner. That gave me nice clean tires and I followed it up with some PB Bold n Bright. That worked out really nice.

Not saying you wouldn't do well with Whestleys. Maybe mine was too old or something. I think I'm going to try a good APC next. Now that my tires are pretty clean it shouldn't be hard to maintain them... I hope.

p.s. if you look at the picture in my sig (I know its a lousy picture but cut me some slack!!) you'll notice the browness of the tire after cleaning with whestleys. The other thing that made me nuts was the horrible tire dressing I tried using. Those tires are dressed but you can't tell from this picture. I threw that stuff out. Bold n Bright worked out so much better. I'd post up a picture but its raining cats n dogs here.
    Last edited by JRs_Z71; 06-04-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L, 3.73's, G80
    Praying for a day when my truck is clean and its not raining...

I don't think it is the tire dressing so much. Mine are brownish and my buddy's are black - we use the same dressing. I do take mine on gravel roads/dirt roads and he stays mainly on pavement though.

go to the dollar store and get a bottle of Awesome Orange cleaner it works good and is cheap also when I was in the military all we used was simple green to clean stuff and that stuff is bad *ss too. Be careful with wesley bleach white it screwed up some polished aluminumn wheels I had I will never use that crap again....it did work good on the tires though!

03'2500HD 6.0 6"Rc lift 16x12 classic locks 35x12.50 baja claws
    K&N FIPK,Hypertech programmer,optima redtop,flowmaster exhaust

I have "Awesome Orange" and "Simple Green" in the garage, Ill try that when I get it back from the dealer, along with the clay bar and a good coat of wax. Ill get some pics up when Im done so you can see the new ride.
    2006 V-Max LT

275/70R18 Cooper STT, 18x9.5 Rev Wheels, Pro Comp Leaf Springs, 4.10s, Blackbear Tune, Airaid Intake

Quote Originally Posted by JRs_Z71
    Hate to sound like the oddball but I didn't have much luck using Whestleys. I still had brown residue on the tires. I tried using Pinnacle Tire and Wheel Cleaner. That gave me nice clean tires and I followed it up with some PB Bold n Bright. That worked out really nice.

Not saying you wouldn't do well with Whestleys. Maybe mine was too old or something. I think I'm going to try a good APC next. Now that my tires are pretty clean it shouldn't be hard to maintain them... I hope.

p.s. if you look at the picture in my sig (I know its a lousy picture but cut me some slack!!) you'll notice the browness of the tire after cleaning with whestleys. The other thing that made me nuts was the horrible tire dressing I tried using. Those tires are dressed but you can't tell from this picture. I threw that stuff out. Bold n Bright worked out so much better. I'd post up a picture but its raining cats n dogs here.
    did you scrub the tires when you used the wesleys? if you dont ive found that it doesnt get the brown off very well, i use a really stiff nylon bristled brush, the kind you scrub tile floors with to clean the grout. spray it on, let it sit for a minute, spray it again then scrub like he!!. sometimes ive had to go back over them a couple times but ive had some tires that were really brown and it brought them back to looking brand new.

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison

SOS pads dipped in water and dish soap.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

Quote Originally Posted by foreman00081
    did you scrub the tires when you used the wesleys? if you dont ive found that it doesnt get the brown off very well, i use a really stiff nylon bristled brush, the kind you scrub tile floors with to clean the grout. spray it on, let it sit for a minute, spray it again then scrub like he!!. sometimes ive had to go back over them a couple times but ive had some tires that were really brown and it brought them back to looking brand new.
    I thought I scrubbed em up pretty good with a tire scrubber brush. Maybe I needed to do it again or something. I think Pinnacle did a better job also it was safe for my rims so it was a 2 in 1 type cleaner which is nice for saving a little time. Thats why I thought I might try some kind of biodegradable APC.

My tires look a lot better now. I got that black shine back and BnB worked like a champ on my RWL. Of course its been raining like crazy here the past couple days and I have to travel on roads that have lots of construction going on so my tires/entire truck are filthy again
    2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L, 3.73's, G80
    Praying for a day when my truck is clean and its not raining...

Dollar General Oven Cleaner works too. Id be willing to bet that just about any household degreaser and a lil scrubbing will work great. I like using household products as much as possible..they are cheaper and tend to work better. Im just extra careful to keep harsh stuff off the paint.

3" BDS BL, 3" BDS Blocks, Ford Keys, Skyjacker Hydro7000 Shocks, 315/75-16 Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Westin Black Brushguard, KC Daylighters w/stone guards

The Simple Green Worked Just fine. Here are some pics of the truck.

2006 V-Max LT

cool, i did my tires the other night too, nice black tires really make a truck look good. and nice looking truck, i heard one of the vortecMax's with dual exhaust the other day, dont think it had headers cause it wasnt too loud but it sounded real nice.

using Armor All tire foam turned my old tires brown..never using that stuff again

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Did you use the bleach white on the tires with them wet?I think its needs to be sprayed on a dry tire then scrub, per the instructions.

the bottle does say dry but i did one tire dry, scrubbed it then sprayed the rest with the hose first cause scrubbing the dry one was a lot harder to do. turned out that the 3 that i wet down first came out blacker than the one i did dry so im going to keep hosing them down first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast