If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2006 Duramax fuel filter?

This is a discussion on 2006 Duramax fuel filter? within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am going to be changing my fuel filter shortly and do I need to get a new sensor when ...

2006 Duramax fuel filter?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am going to be changing my fuel filter shortly and do I need to get a new sensor when I get the filter?

Re: 2006 Duramax fuel filter?

No. You will need to re-use it. All that you need to do is remove the the air intake tube and disconnect the the wire couplers that go into the WIF sensor to the bottom of the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by 04SleekZ
    All that you need to do is remove the the air intake tube
    Why?

You can get right to it. The WIF sensor will either be so tight you'll ruin it getting it out or it will come right out. There is a special socket for it that of all things is made of plastic and if they're really tight it just jumps off anyway so what works best is a pair of channel locks, parrot bills, water pump pliers, whatever you want to call them. Just be careful with it. Also apply a light film of vasiline to the orings and it will go back on a little easier. Also make sure the oring seal type hodis in the center of the filter comes off with the old filter. If it stays on the housing make sure you take it off so your not fighting it going back on. Then once the filter is on, open the bleeder a few rounds and pump it up until fuel comes out and then close the bleeder and just barely snug it. Afterall its just plastic and you can't get the bleeder if you break it, you get the whole fuel filter housing.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

Be careful with channel locks, it can be easy to tear up the plastic threads with those. Also, make sure you get that old o-ring off the center, after removing the old one. I learned that the hard way once. KennedyDiesel makes a real nice tool for this, a blue annodized aluminum to remove the WIF sensor.
    2004.5 Chevy CCSB D/A LLY

Tuff Country Suspension, Toyo MT's, Exhaust, EFI Live, Danville 64mm VVT, Kennedy Pumps, SunCoast IV, some Mike L. tranny stuff, some color matching, lots of other junk.

x2 on the o-ring, took me a half hour of swearing and sweating trying to get the new filter on before i realized the old one was still stuck to the housing, they dont seem to fit too well with 2 orings for some reason...

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

You don't need to remove the intake tube if you are going from the top. There is just enough room to pull the filter up through the top. Just be careful not to drop it once its loose.

im doing this same thing, just got a filter and noticed it has a hole in the bottom with threads, i thought that is where the bleeder would be but i havent really looked into it yet(its dark and cold out). so im just wondering if thats where you are talking about the WIF plugging into or not. thanks
    06 kawasaki KFX 400

2007 chevy 3500 DURAMAX/ALLY crew cab long bed 4x4

Seabees

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue85
    im doing this same thing, just got a filter and noticed it has a hole in the bottom with threads, i thought that is where the bleeder would be but i havent really looked into it yet(its dark and cold out). so im just wondering if thats where you are talking about the WIF plugging into or not. thanks
    Yes, the WIF sensor screws into the bottom. Bleeder is on bulk head, black screw next to the push primer.

Tuff Country Suspension, Toyo MT's, Exhaust, EFI Live, Danville 64mm VVT, Kennedy Pumps, SunCoast IV, some Mike L. tranny stuff, some color matching, lots of other junk.

Yep, That is where the WIF sensor goes.

thanks a lot. my lil heads up display keeps telling me to change my fuel filter everytime i get in the thing, so i will be glad to see that gone. will there be a power difference afterwards or will it run the same?
    06 kawasaki KFX 400

Seabees

thanks a lot. my lil heads up display keeps telling me to change my fuel filter everytime i get in the thing, so i will be glad to see that gone. will there be a power difference afterwards or will it run the same?
    Honestly, mine seems to run a little better when I put a new filter on. I don't have DIC, but I usually change by 7-10k miles, unless I start popping 1093 codes under hard acceleration. I'm going to do a new one this weekend. FWIW, I carry a spare one behind the backseat as well. Never know when you are going to get some crud in the fuel on the road and need one. Cheap insurance. I also recommend keeping a pair of gloves, changing those things can be messy.
    I unplug the WIF sensor (leaving it screwed into the filter) and then swap it over the new filter after I get the old one out. Also, watch the rubber ring/gaskets, as sometimes they stick to the bulkhead when removing the old filter, and it can be a sumbitch to try to screw that filter back on with both the old ring still on there and the new one in the new filter. I learned that the hardway on a mid-90's day with about 95% humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Angry
    Also, watch the rubber ring/gaskets, as sometimes they stick to the bulkhead when removing the old filter, and it can be a sumbitch to try to screw that filter back on with both the old ring still on there and the new one in the new filter. I learned that the hardway on a mid-90's day with about 95% humidity.

Sounds like some good info Foreman coulda used a while back.

2005- 2500, Duramax/Allison, torsion bars cranked with 1" block, 33-12.50R17 Mickey T MTZ's on 17x9 MKW-27, Silverline 4" stainless straight pipe, Predator programmer, tie-rod sleeves, much more.

'96 Z-71 Sold

Quote Originally Posted by '96 Z-71
    Sounds like some good info Foreman coulda used a while back.
    Sometimes the best lessons are learned the hard way....

How often do you need to replace the fuel filter?

Pretty sure GM says every 15k miles.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

cool thanks for the info. i keep meaning to get to it but some linkbelt cranes seem to keep making me come home way after dark. im tired of working :P
    06 kawasaki KFX 400

Seabees

cool thanks for the info. i keep meaning to get to it but some linkbelt cranes seem to keep making me come home way after dark. im tired of working :P
    Did mine this weekend, looked pretty good inside, (I have a Huge aux filter on my lift pumps back by the tank) But I swear it was running a little smoother (and quicker) after the change.