GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

typical life expectancy of a duramax?

This is a discussion on typical life expectancy of a duramax? within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; whats the general life span of a duramax engine? 250k, 300k? kinda wondering if they hold up as well as ...

rob

typical life expectancy of a duramax?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    whats the general life span of a duramax engine? 250k, 300k?

kinda wondering if they hold up as well as some of the other diesels on the market, both past and present.

seems like there's hundreds, if not thousands of 400k+ 12valve trucks out there, that are being abused on farms daily. any such thing with a duramax?
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

D-Max on the way

Re: typical life expectancy of a duramax?

Plenty of duramaxes with over 300k, a few with 500+ and I think theres one w/ 750k+ miles on it. They just haven't been around long enough for people to put that many miles on them. But from what they're showing so far i'd say they will last.
    Covered in darkness, but I wanna see. What's the matter with you babe. What's the matter with me

We're getting a trade ins with 140k plus all the time. If idiots would stop putting those dumb cold air intakes on and starting cleaning the filters then the engines wouldn't be filled with dirt and they might actually be worth a damn. I think the only real downfall to the duramax is an under educated owner. That and the injectors on the LB7 washing down the cylinders and filling the crank case with diesel. Never the less the ones we get traded in still run and sound like new at those miles.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

D-Max on the way

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    We're getting a trade ins with 140k plus all the time. If idiots would stop putting those dumb cold air intakes on and starting cleaning the filters then the engines wouldn't be filled with dirt and they might actually be worth a damn. I think the only real downfall to the duramax is an under educated owner. That and the injectors on the LB7 washing down the cylinders and filling the crank case with diesel. Never the less the ones we get traded in still run and sound like new at those miles.
    The stock filter flows plenty of air unless your goin pretty wild with it and the k&n's of the world actually do a worse job of filtering the air than the stock delco. But they want a cai dammit!
    Covered in darkness, but I wanna see. What's the matter with you babe. What's the matter with me

Quote Originally Posted by TexTahoe
    The stock filter flows plenty of air unless your goin pretty wild with it and the k&n's of the world actually do a worse job of filtering the air than the stock delco. But they want a cai dammit!
    Very true, I'm on a stock intake still and might change mine soon. But they live along time. I have a firned with over 250k on the clock and he still beats the crap out of the truck every day and puts down over 500rwhp with his 2002 LB7
    2006 LBZ, EFI live tuned by Diesel Addiction and other goodies
    531 RWHP / 960 RWTQ
    12.42 @ 106.37 MPH
    1/8th mile = 7.83 @ 86.2 MPH

D-Max on the way

Quote Originally Posted by DrHolliday
    Very true, I'm on a stock intake still and might change mine soon. But they live along time. I have a firned with over 250k on the clock and he still beats the crap out of the truck every day and puts down over 500rwhp with his 2002 LB7
    Nice. I can't wait for a trans so i can really start to play. I just cut a big piece of plastic out of the front of my box. Probably has 50% more area to pull air through. Wont increase the power probably but was lookin to pick up a little bit of mileage.

ive personally seen dmax's with 350K, 450K, and 550K on the clock. and all 3 of those pull heavy all day everyday. theyre built to last.

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

If you want a bigger filter there are other options available that allow you to stay with paper. Find the room and you could slip a Medium duty style filter on the inlet pipe of a light duty dmax. The medium duty's filter is about 20 inches long and say 10 inches in diameter. Lot of surface area there.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

mine just rolled over to 131k, still rippin as hard as my friends lly

DES=guilty til innocent H&S_Miner's Avatar

Some good stuff up above. Pretty much most will go 300-500k between rebuilds as long as you maintain the maintenance on em... well true most of the time atleast
    Proud father of 2 sons
    Jonathan Blake: 8/31/01
    Robert Elliot: 6/29/07

My AMERICAN BUILT Ricer: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...%20Crew%20Cab/

AmericanZ71

they are duramax. the duration is maximum.

duh.

You feel lucky......Punk? RnuovZ71's Avatar

As long as you maintain them well they will last! I have seen 1st hand a 03 Dmax with 278K on the clock still running strong and the auto tranns was still kicking!

Infantryman in the US Army

They will run a very long time if taken care of.
    A few things to look out for though.
    The steering shaft.
    Guage cluster
    Some had problems with the injector harness rubbing.
    And the transfer pump has a hold down plate that rubs thru the case.

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.

Chase'n that money!! 03CCDually's Avatar

Reynolds Towing here in Champaign Illinois, they have the duramax in a couple of there trucks. they have only been getting about 80k out of each. Insane i know. i dont know what they are doing wrong. Driver related i imagine.

GM rates the Dmax as a 200K motor and Cummins is rated a 300K. I'm not starting nothing here those are just the facts.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy
    GM rates the Dmax as a 200K motor and Cummins is rated a 300K. I'm not starting nothing here those are just the facts.

cummins may be good till 300k but the tranny behind it sure aint! lol

those numbers are pretty funny. id hope that any motor, gas or diesel nowadays would be able to do 200k no problem.

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

D-Max on the way

Quote Originally Posted by foreman00081
    those numbers are pretty funny. id hope that any motor, gas or diesel nowadays would be able to do 200k no problem.
    Those numbers do not surprise me at all. Just another scapegoat for the auto manufactures. Set #'s low so we don't have to fix chit. They probably consider it a wear item

Maybe on the 5.9 liter, the older ones deffinitely, the newer ones maybe, but I can't forsee the 6.7 running that long. Maybe it will prove me wrong but that engine is junk IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred95
    Maybe on the 5.9 liter, the older ones deffinitely, the newer ones maybe, but I can't forsee the 6.7 running that long. Maybe it will prove me wrong but that engine is junk IMO.
    you said it perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast