GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

93 k1500 Blazer 4BT swap

This is a discussion on 93 k1500 Blazer 4BT swap within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Details of the build are: Bought 93 Blazer on ebay for $900 was 350 TBI gas 13mpg Bought a Frito ...

93 k1500 Blazer 4BT swap

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Details of the build are:

Bought 93 Blazer on ebay for $900 was 350 TBI gas 13mpg

Bought a Frito truck on Dovebid for $1400 + 200 auction fees and drove it from Ohio back to Illinois.
    Yanked 4bt, T475+trans adapter, fuel tank, Hydroboost and all power steering lines...scrapped van for aluminum.

Frito van had hydraulic motor mounts and couldn't even fathom fitting those in the IFS chassis, so had to get the 45* ones from a 4bt in a ford van (Ebay).

Pulled gas tank down and replaced it with a diesel one (probably didn't matter but original gas one was rusty/leaky) Used the sending unit from the frito van as well.. luckily it went the same depth and same ring size as the gas sending unit.. sender ohm'd out the same (0-90 ohms).

Got 3/8" and 1/4" aluminum fuel lines from Summit Racing. (25' each) (old lines were rusty/wrong size) Ran those from tank to motor (connecting with Goodyear biodiesel safe sae j30r9 hoses) Used all high quality "fuel injection" clamps to make sure I didn't have ANY air getting into the lines.

I'm a gambler so I'm sticking with the 4l60e because of the overdrive mainly. Got a TCI trans controller to control pressure and shift points since the tbi ECM is going to be useless.

No AC for now, I figure I'll work out the Air conditioning later.

I removed the vacuum brake boost and replaced it with the Hydroboost unit from the bread van.. Had to fab up a custom bracket for it (probably could have just bought one for this truck in 6.5 flavor) Had to make a custom tool to get the hydroboost backing nut off. All lines but the "Hydroboost to steering gear" line were a direct fit..(hydro to gear was too long from bread van..got one for a 94 Blazer/Yukon).
    The master cylinder had a bigger snout on it for the vacuum booster and I had to buy a MC for a 94 diesel Blazer/Yukon with smaller snout for hydroboost.

I figured out the mounts by just bolting the motor to trans and seeing where the two studs want to land and notched the frame for them.

I got lucky and ran into a guy on 4btswaps.com with the 4bt Durango and got a torque converter adapter ring made by him to bolt the 4l60e TC to the 400 bolt pattern 4bt wave ring (IIRC 4l60e/700 = 10.5" and 4l80e/400/475 = 11.5")

Had the converter custom made for 900 rpm stall and bolt pads fully welded compared to a gas TC where they are just tacked.

Wiring harness: ditching most of the gas stuff but keeping gauge essential stuff.

The 4bt required either pan modification or suspension lift to clear the pan.. I went with a 6" IFS front lift bought from a totaled truck from a guy on here from Michigan. (If done again, I'd go with a SAS with a Dana 60.

The back was lifted with a shackle flip kit from DIY4X4 (awesome guys and awesome fabrication by the way)

Problems I'm having are:
    Speed is inoperable - I can't have it hooked up at the same time as the TCI trans controller {they interfere} - AKA working speedo but no shift out of first OR no speed and trans shifts through all gears. TCI is of NO HELP or worthy advice. An EE at work was recommending the use of diodes inline for both to stop back feed when they are piggybacked (no know which diodes to buy?)

Tach sigal is exactly 4x high then what it really is (800 RPM reads 3200 RPM)

Overall it was a cool swap..It scoots the blazer around fine (I can chirp the tires into second :) Pulls my boat around with no problem. Doesn't use a lot of fuel. I don't know my exact milage due to the speedo not working.. but I' m filling up half as much as before. If I had a crew or ext. cab 2500/3500 and towed some decently heavy stuff... I'd go for the 6BT (12 valve).

I have a pic album here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cummin...92595/pic/list

Or I could post more here.

Let me know whatcha think?

Re: 93 k1500 Blazer 4BT swap

Password needed for pics. Sounds like a good setup tho, would like to see mileage and pics when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by slewis
    Password needed for pics. Sounds like a good setup tho, would like to see mileage and pics when possible.
    X2

I have 5 pic under "my gallery" on the left <----

Do you guys happen to know a place where I could host the pics? It seems as though I can't just insert them?

I'm manually tracking the mileage now.. (I know I go 11 miles each way to work..so I'll post what I figure out when I run it down.
    Last edited by drboostv6; 01-05-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Broke ass highschool kid bigwhite93's Avatar

www.photobucket.com Sign up, upload pics, copy and past [img] [/img] tags into your post, and vwala, you just posted a pic.
    1993 Chevy Full size Blazer
    1991.0 Dodge Cummins (non i/c) W350 4x4 5spd
    As always, murder comes at a price. If you want this fluffy little hitman to do your dirtywork, make an offer.

*this space for rent*

Quote Originally Posted by drboostv6
    I have 5 pic under "my gallery" on the left <----

Do you guys happen to know a place where I could host the pics? It seems as though I can't just insert them?

I'm manually tracking the mileage now.. (I know I go 11 miles each way to work..so I'll post what I figure out when I run it down.
    I do not see a link to your gallery under listed in yuor profile or even on the left under yuor user name. You are killing us man!
    2005 K3500 CCLB Duramax with a few bolt ons, weld ons and Glued ons.

87 Buick Grand National NOT Stock.

98 Chevy 3/4 4wd 454.... stockish for now (Gone but not forgotten)

hucking fates this server FordeatinZ71's Avatar

man, that sounds like an awesome setup...how does that 4bt perform in the Blazer?

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

I'm anxious to see this...

'96 K1500 RCLB Z71 350 154K Sold
    '96 F250 ECLB 4X4 7.3L 243K
    '04 MXZ 500 SS
    Quote Originally Posted by loud04z71 View Post
    If it were an OBS the combine would have been totalled, they have thicker bumpers.

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FordeatinZ71
    man, that sounds like an awesome setup...how does that 4bt perform in the Blazer?
    like a champ im betting. they were kinda doggy in them old bread trucks but the old humvees seem to do just fine with em

rob

Quote Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
    like a champ im betting. they were kinda doggy in them old bread trucks but the old humvees seem to do just fine with em

I never new AMG general used a 4bt cummins... thought they always had the detroit 6.2 or 6.5, seeing AMG's close ties with GM and Detroit.

news to me.
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

i was in the Army for 7 years...i never saw a factory Hummer with a 4bt. the only link i saw to one online even said it was a "custom swap". that's not a factory deal...cool...but not factory cool...

2004 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 rcsb, 5.3/4L60E/3.73/G80 time bomb...3" lift, tinted 03+ Silverado tails, plasti-dipped 16" wheels (unknown brand), 285/75/16 Thunderer M/T Extremes, Thrush Welded muffler...

the sea hates a coward rebelbowtie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    I never new AMG general used a 4bt cummins... thought they always had the detroit 6.2 or 6.5, seeing AMG's close ties with GM and Detroit.

news to me.
    i could be wrong but i have seen them with 4bt before

well yea, there have been ones out there...but not from the factory. there are companies that will take a newly-purchased one and swap in a new Cummins 4bt for those among us with money fallin out of their peupers...

Broke ass highschool kid bigwhite93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper_6
    I do not see a link to your gallery under listed in yuor profile or even on the left under yuor user name. You are killing us man!
    The links in the first post work fine for me.
    And by "my gallery" I think he means his FSC gallery. There's 5 pics in there.

1993 Chevy Full size Blazer
    1991.0 Dodge Cummins (non i/c) W350 4x4 5spd
    As always, murder comes at a price. If you want this fluffy little hitman to do your dirtywork, make an offer.

*this space for rent*

thanks, I am a retard, I am all hopped up on cold meds... I will blame it on that thank you man!
    2005 K3500 CCLB Duramax with a few bolt ons, weld ons and Glued ons.

87 Buick Grand National NOT Stock.

98 Chevy 3/4 4wd 454.... stockish for now (Gone but not forgotten)

I live in northern Indiana close to the AM General plant. They have only used GM and Detroit Diesel engines. The newer Humvees get a detuned 6.6L Duramax while the older ones have 6.2L N/A and 6.5L TD in them. A friend works there, I keep bugging him to hook me up with a crate motor.
    99' Ford F150 XLT,ECSB,4x4,5.4
    98' GMC Sonoma ECSB 2wd,4.3,ZQ8
    92'GMC Sierra ECSB 4x4,5.7,700R4(Sold to My Brother-in-law)

Dads Trucks
    98' Silverado RCSB 2wd, 4.3,auto
    85' Silverado RCSB 4x4,305,auto(ol'Blue)
    03' GMC Canyon

spark plugs are for cars VortecZ's Avatar

Very nice swap! I just put a 4BT in an '05 RCSB two wheel drive. I haven't had time to finish it and I'm having some different problems of my own but I have driven it down the road once.

Good luck with the problems. I can't beleive TCI can't help with the speedo problem. I'm not sure what to tell you. My plan for the tach is to get a tach kit from Dakota Digital. The DSL-2 reads teeth off of the flywheel. You could use it or one of the other units to just convert your signal. Look here
    By the way, how did you hook the tach up anyway? I didn't think there would be anything to wire to. Maybe the alternator?

How bad is the vibration? I was worried about that so I did use the hydraulic mounts from my Frito truck.
    Daily - 2005 1/2-ton 2wd Silverado with a Cummins 4BT & NV4500
    Farm - 2003 1-ton 4x4 Dodge Ram with a Cummins 6BT & NV5600
    Toy - 1991 Camaro with full air ride, a built Vortec 350, & T56

MY PICTURES

Thanks for the compliments.. I just had a kid and don't have time to get pics up..

Try to join up to the yahoo deal and just give the a bunch of "bunk" info to get your account going.. the pics are worth it there..

The blazer has been good ... I had a fuel gelling problem though (local NAPA guy said "he thinks it going around" (as in bad diesel duel delivered around here??) also said all of a sudden there were a lot of guys coming in for filters...usually a good sign.

I got a friend who get a bio/mix [ he doesn't have a clue what % but its dyed red :) ] delivered to his shop and it seems to (at least to me) to get the best mile out of that stuff..

She vibrates pretty bad.. but only at red lights with my brake foot up against the low stall converter...

I didn't have room for the hydraulic motor mounts.. otherwise they would probably soak up a lot of shake.

I got the van with the 4bt/th475 (drove it from Ohio to Illinois) for 1600 (1400+200 commission charge) on dovebid

Can't beat that guys!! there are plenty on there too.. + you get to get the $$$ for scrapping all that aluminum from the van after.

Totally worth it. When shopping on ebay prices were generally:
    motor=2000
    adapter plate=600

I now have the 475 sitting around.. maybe it'll go into the Chevelle one of these days :)

Check out 4btswaps or pirate4x4.
    email me directly at
    drboostv6@yahoo.com

and I can send whatever pics or give advice.

they make a electric/manual speedo adpater for the 4l60e now, its all in one unit
    i think its made by street and performance or something like that

its in the ls swap book, they show a picture of it in the book and the site also
    not sure how much it cost tho

not sure if the 93 has a elctric or cable driven speedo in the dash
    2k gmc, sold!

84 classic mini cooper, rhd, VP Austin metro 1275, stage 1 kit, coil spring conversion kit, 6point roll cage, classic bucket seats/4point harness, 13inch weller rims on yoko rubber, matt black