If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

08/09 Duramax issues

This is a discussion on 08/09 Duramax issues within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi everyone, I am new here and I'm looking to buy a "new" 2500 or 3500 HD with the Duramax. ...

Smile 08/09 Duramax issues

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi everyone, I am new here and I'm looking to buy a "new" 2500 or 3500 HD with the Duramax. Is there any issues with these? I'm hearing all three (Chevy, Ford, Dodge) are having some issues because of the new emissions.

Thanks,
    Monker77

Re: 08/09 Duramax issues

the milage is down some because of the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which wastes fuel to burn off soot but otherwise the engine itself wasnt really changed at all from the previous generation (LBZ) so i dont believe they are having any new problems. the fords and dodges are another story but those were both newly designed/redesigned engines.

oh, and good to see another western NY'er! welcome to FSC! im in Rochester.

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

The new diesels fuel mileage sucks ass. I have an 08 duramax and I tore off the exhaust and put a turbo back exhaust system from an 01-07.5 duramax. It is the same truck and bolts right up. Went with an MBRP 5" turbo back and quadzilla programmer. If you remove the DPF which I higly suggest, you must have a programmer to stop regeneration and to keep a service engine light from coming on. I have a crew cab 3500 long bed 4x4 and I am getting 17 around town with 33s and 20s

Its the city driving that makes the mileage really take a hit. Its simple to remove on the Dmax, but bye bye warranty. There are no other real issues other then that.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

warranty is not an issue unless it burns out one of the dpf sensor, but none of that is being used. its no different than doing turbo back an older model. right now dealers will work with everyone!

afterall you can be a mangina your whole life. Afterall a lift they say voids your warranty but if you have an attorney and dig into it, they can't leagally void your warranty unless they can specifically pin point that it caused a problem

fortplainman

hey another western ny guy nice! ya all you have to do is get aftermarket exhaust and say screw emissions lol.

there arent any problems with them... but i would recommend a DPF delete kit and a programmer to shut down the system... I can help you get some good deals on any parts you will need for it.... and I am originally from Orchard Park... so nice to see a WNY local on here
    Sig by xZoomerZx

I'm really good at 'Guitar Hero,' and I thought maybe I should get a guitar. Then I thought, like, I'm really good at 'Grand Theft Auto.' Maybe I should start beating up hookers

Quote Originally Posted by shavedon53s View Post
    right now dealers will work with everyone!
    Not when there losing $$ on warranty work and if a rep finds out about it. They're going to know you have a tuner on it as well. I'm not saying it isn't worth the risk or you might not find a dealer that won't look the other way.
    Last edited by dozerboy; 05-19-2009 at 07:37 PM.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

I say DPF delete and programmer, or deal with the ****ty mileage on all the new diesels! I got tired of 11-12 mpg on the 08 so my DPF " fell off"

you can find mod friendly dealers anywhere.... and if you get the right tuner, you wont have to worry about the dealer... I sell PPE (which is the best box tuner for the dmax) left and right and they dont leave a footprint... and EFI live if you know what you doing is the best period and it wont leave a trace if you clear everything
    Sig by xZoomerZx

I'm really good at 'Guitar Hero,' and I thought maybe I should get a guitar. Then I thought, like, I'm really good at 'Grand Theft Auto.' Maybe I should start beating up hookers

Quote Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
    I sell PPE (which is the best box tuner for the dmax) left and right and they dont leave a footprint... and EFI live if you know what you doing is the best period and it wont leave a trace if you clear everything
    They can to tell if you put a tune on the new LMMs. Boy your a good vendor I'll be placing my next order with you.

35s whinin on the asphalt braaap11889's Avatar

Actually they can't everyone says they can figure it out cause the new tech 2s are SOOO amazing but they can't if you return it to stock. If you go to the dealer with the tune in they can find out but they have to be looking for that just plugging in the tech 2 won't tell you right away there is a tune in the truck. And again it won't void you warrenty unless that caused the problem if your power mirrors go out but OMG you have a PPE tuner they can't say that caused the problem cause it is unrelated
    2003 Chevy Silverado LT ECSB LB7 DURAMAX

Suncoast 4, 1058 TC, EFI LIVE, BD supermax Turbo, Bd Manifold, BD downpipe, 4inch straight pipe, Dynomite 75hp Injector nozzles, Airdog 150, Gauges (EGT, Fuel pressure, Boost) Robby Gordon MX6R lift, 37" Mud grapplers 20" KMC monsters, Stepside bed

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy View Post
    They can to tell if you put a tune on the new LMMs. Boy your a good vendor I'll be placing my next order with you.
    they can unless you do the necessary steps... and there are no vendors here...

The LMM has a few more steps necessary... but if you go in with the econo tune, almost no dealer will say anything
    Sig by xZoomerZx

GM won't be around for much longer and the government won't know the difference when you take it to them for warranty work
    2008 GMC Sierra 4.8L Ex-Cab 2WD

they can still tell you had a program on the truck by the amount of boost you hit and the mph if you go over 100 mph, due to the little "black box" on board the new GM's. GM will be around, they will just re-organize!

If you run anything other than a stock tune on an LMM, the ECM (I think) will keep a log of that tune. Dealership scans your ECM and sees that it had been tuned, warranty is voided.

The ONLY way around this is to have two ECMs..
    06 truck

the dealer is not going to void your warranty unless they are total pricks and have a stick up thier ass. My LMM has been in for injector issues. I pulled the tune off and took it in with the DPF delete on (5" turbo back still on) and they just asked me what programmer I had and replaced the injectors under warranty! Of course like several others have said as well it all depends on the dealer and how they are about aftermarket equipment. I say DPF delete the truck and tune it and say the hell with it

like a rock

Black box? Does GM want to go out of business? This is just one more reason im starting to dislike them but they still have the best trucks.
    1994 ECSB K1500 F44 Z71, 295/75/16 tires.

yep black box. its on the truck. They say info can only be subpeonad in the event of a major accident due to the fact it can tell if you hit your brakes before inpact and all that good stuff. But I dont believe thats the only way if you ask me. It basically stores all info of the truck, so everything is detectable now!!! ****in government bull****!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast