If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Need pros, cons on 6.6 D-max

This is a discussion on Need pros, cons on 6.6 D-max within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am new to the diesel truck world. Looking at purchasing a '03 Silverado 3500 with a 6.6 Duramax diesel ...

Need pros, cons on 6.6 D-max

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am new to the diesel truck world. Looking at purchasing a '03 Silverado 3500 with a 6.6 Duramax diesel and a Allison 5 spd trans (it's a 2wd crew cab dually)
    to pull my 26' enclosed race car trailer.... what can you diesel gurus tell me about this power train? Good, bad, or indifferent?
    Thanks in advance..

Re: Need pros, cons on 6.6 D-max

No one running this engine??????

...Collecting Parts...

There's plenty of people running a Dmax.
    For the most part, I've seen nothing but good reviews. Each engine has it's own set of issues though.
    For the 03 you're looking at, the weak point was the injectors. I've heard that if they haven't been replaced, you really need to look into doing that.
    For the most part though, I think you'll be happy with the Dmax for your needs. Like all diesels, they will pull like there's no tomorrow.
    92 Chevy 1500 W/T: 4.3 V6, 2wd, Big plans as soon as I have the cash to back it...

91 Pontiac Bonneville LE: Sold.
    Now there's more money for the truck!

Great motor and great tranny, in stock form. If you plan on adding more than 100hp, look into upgrading the tranny. As said before, if the injectors havn't been changed out it will need them. The early duramax motors wern't designed to run on the low sulfer fuel that is now at all the stations, and this takes its toll on the injectors. Anymore it is getting hard to find '03 duramax motors that havn't had the injectors done, unless the truck has very low miles.

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

Born and Raised Chevrolet YenkoST's Avatar

Power wise you couldn't be happier and they will last a very long time. However, a con in my opinion is how much it cost to replace factory parts. Like a water pump. A water pump alone for these trucks are about $600. Add labor into you are looking at $1400 just to replace a water pump. If you have to replace the whole engine...that's almost 5-digit territory without a warranty.

1990 Chevrolet C1500 Sport
    *The Hot Rod
    2011 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2L
    *Airaid MIT, Custom 2.5" true dual exhaust, 2/4 lowering kit, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners
    2012 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L
    *Airaid CAI, HIDs 4300k, HP Tuners...soon to be lowered

Quote Originally Posted by YenkoST View Post
    Power wise you couldn't be happier and they will last a very long time. However, a con in my opinion is how much it cost to replace factory parts. Like a water pump. A water pump alone for these trucks are about $600. Add labor into you are looking at $1400 just to replace a water pump. If you have to replace the whole engine...that's almost 5-digit territory without a warranty.
    My dads '04 LB7 cracked a piston at 120k. Needless its sat ever since. A new engine is 10k.
    2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 stock 194k
    1992 RCSB c1500 stock 5.7 TBI 5spd. 268k
    2007 Raptor 700 Special Edition not so stock
    2003 K1500 ECSB Sierra 4x4 5.3 97k just bought f**@!n pos!
    2000 K1500 Z71 5.3 ECSB Silverado many mods -SOLD-
    1996 C1500 Sierra ECSB 5.7 -TOTALED-

My father has a 2004.5 Chevy duramax equipt with the Allison trans. and this is a 4door long bed dually. We tow our 24' racecar trailer like nothing, most of the time dont use tow haul mode. Ours has 66K miles and havent had a problem yet. For fuel mileage, were are getting about 17 around town, and 18 or so on the highway, and ofcoarse with our enclosed trailer, it brings the fuel mileage down 2 or so MPG. Power wise it has towed everything we tow with it, whether it be a old buldozer we had or our racecars. I use this to plow the driveway in the winter and it does it no problem and the glow plugs takes 2 secs at the most to warm up to temp even when it is 10degrees out.
    Hope this helps
    Josh Cantara

You can get a engine cheaper then that and water pumps hardly fail.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

My uncle's dmax 2001 has 650k kms and he hasnt replaced a thing. the truck is falling apart not the powertrain... lol. and my other part of the family all owns dmax's from 06-09 beautiful trucks and hell of a motor. if u want power and quiteness.. duramax

that's almost 5-digit territory without a warranty
    ...even if a full crate motor would run a guy 9900 dollars...that is still far cheaper than a brand new truck. Chances of the motor/tranny going before the truck does is slim and next to nothing in my opinion.

Maintenance is key and doing it all the time should be a labour of love...it is for me..!!
    Rgds,
    stk
    Last edited by steakman; 11-22-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    '06 "LBZ" D'Max-Ally CCSB SLE Blanco
    174,410 miles
    ..and a few mods
    in my GARAGE
    Go Canada Go

we have an 03 for a shop truck with 178k miles on, still runs good and not our strongest puller but will definately haul your race car and all equipment needed easily