GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

glow plug relay

This is a discussion on glow plug relay within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am looking for an upgrade to start the glowplugs on my 1993 6.5l td. I would like for it ...

glow plug relay

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am looking for an upgrade to start the glowplugs on my 1993 6.5l td. I would like for it to stay on longer as to help with the cold starts, but am not sure where to start looking. I saw a diy relay fix for a manual button inside the cab, but can't locate the thread online. I would just like to install a relay in the same spot that will stay on longer than the factory one. Thanks.
    1993 GMC C3500 Dually with 100k miles and all stock (for now )

'95 2500 6.5L 5 spd Suburban'07 Kawasaki Mean Streak

Re: glow plug relay

You need two parts for a simple system, a Ford style starter solenoid and a momentary switch, only use a momentary switch. Hook the wires that run to the glow plugs to the switched side of the solenoid and the hot lead to the other side. The switch goes to the small terminal on the solenoid, make sure to install a fuse or fusible link.

On the other hand, it may be easier to get some quick heats, or hotter than normal plugs. I just replace with wellmans off ebay and it fires up as soon as the first piston reaches TDC. Unless you have engine issues, new plugs and normal relay should be more than adequate. With older stock relay and plugs, my 6.5 easily started after a weekend-long -30* cold soak (block heater not plugged in). Sounded like a bag of hammers, but it fired up pretty easily.
    96 K2500 GMC Suburban 6.5TD with lots of miles

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into faster glow plugs and use the stock stuff first. Otherwise, I may try to invest in the external swith. Thanks for the links.

Jim

if you setup a manual glow plug setup make sure to install self limiting glow plugs, such as the 60G. otherwise if you hold the switch for too long other plugs will burn themselves out.
    95 2 door yukon 6.5L turbodiesel 4x4 for sale.
    84 chevy k30 with a 454, gonna be my offroad truck.

LOL! Oops! By bad. Wrong link. If you search that site you will find any info you need.

Bill
    '95 2500 6.5L 5 spd Suburban'07 Kawasaki Mean Streak

Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    The truck will blow some white smoke for a minute or so after starting on these 30 degree days, and then run normal. I have to check and make sure the glow plugs are all good, but would you say that these faster starting ones would help that issue? I am trying to make the original equipment work where it can, but will go for an alternate switch if need be. Thanks.

Even with the new plugs, I still get a small plume of smoke. New plugs will not help this. At 30* this morning, I let the plugs run the full cycle per the dash 'wait to start' indicator. It literally fired within 1 second of turning the key to start. There was no noticable cranking. I hit the starter and the truck fired off - still smoke. The smoke is more a factor of old injectors leaking a bit over night. If you are worried about the smoke (and you really should not be, that is what diesels do - they smoke) look at either new injectors or having your existing ones rebuilt. If your smoke does last for a minute or so after starting, I suspect a bad injector. You can start with injector cleaner, but look into rebuilding or new ones.

I don't suspect a bad injector, although the truck does have 100k on it with the original ones. I am sure they are getting near replacement, but that will have to wait for a minute. The guy I bought it from had a receipt that said he just replaced the plugs, but I don't know if he replaced them all. I have to look closer. I also know that all diesels smoke, but since this is my first, I don't know how much s normal. Smoking for a minute or so in the cold weather doesn't really hurt anything I guess. So I think I will focus on getting some new injectors in the future and then maybe add new plugs again at the same time, since I will be in the same area with my tools. Thanks, Avec.

No problem. I would recommend a diesel specific forum. I belong to thedieselpage.com and have gotten invaluable information there from the hyper-knowledgeable contributors.

So I started the truck yesterday when it was 50* outside and hardly any smoke. But when it was 30* it smoked for a minute or so. Maybe faster glow plugs would do the trick since the smoke comes from the cold weather.