If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

6.2L what too look for

This is a discussion on 6.2L what too look for within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by crossy's son Yea you have 4.56's but you also have 37" tires. Haha but a loaded dump ...

Re: 6.2L what too look for

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Quote Originally Posted by crossy's son View Post
    Yea you have 4.56's but you also have 37" tires.

Haha but a loaded dump truck, yea thats bad.

Out in IN there's 1st gen dodges everywhere with cummins, Maybe you can even find one with a 5spd!! They make awesome donors, lol it literally takes 1 wire to run them. And the VE pump is awesome, 90% of modifications you do to the pump are $0 and will net you over 650 ft lbs.

good example of whats out there- http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1549623151.html , rebuild the trans, keep the engine. use both.... sell of the D70/D60 and sell off whats left of the truck and you still come out on top
    Yeah. I've found a few locally here, but funds are the problem at the moment. Hopefully by Spring I will have one.
    Burbn10
    1985 Chevy D30/K30 M1008 Military Pickup
    5.9L 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel
    4" Skyjacker front suspension lift springs
    Offroad Design rear shackle flip kit
    4.56 gears
    14-Bolt FF rear axle with Detroit Locker
    Dana 60 front axle with Lock-Right
    37x12.5x16.5LT Goodyear M/T Humvee Tires

I know I'm a little late on replying to this but figure people might look this up in searches. There is quite a bit of not-so-accurate information listed on this. Here are a few comments.

M1009 - based on a Blazer. 6.2, TH400 trans, NP208 t-case, 3.08 geared 10-bolts with a rear Gov-loc. (no 12-bolts or any other gear was available)
    M1008 - based on a 1-ton pickup, only difference are the axles are 4.56 geared D60 in the front, and a 14FF rear with a Detroit. As far as I know there was never a M1008 with any type of "locker" or other traction aiding device in the front. There were some other variants like M1028 and others (pickup with speciality bodies on them) that had the Trac-lok limited slip (not very positive engagement).

I don't believe the 700r4/4L60 will directly swap with the TH400 in regards to the input shaft on the t-case. The TH400 version of the NP208 t-case uses a 32 spline input, the 700r4 version uses a 27 spline version. I do think the 700r4 is a nice trans to use behind the 6.2, and was the civilian offered trans in 1/2 ton trucks and Blazers. I have a '90 with over 100k on it with the 6.2/700r4 combo with no problems, and the last 10 years it has been used and abused off-road. However I wouldn't put a 700r4 in the M1009 and keep the stock 3.08 gears because OD would be completely useless (way too high of an overall gear).

A stock M1008 can go faster than 50 mph. On paper with 31" stock tires, 4.56 gears, 1:1 trans gear, and 3,600 rpm governed speed of the 6.2 you would top out at over 70 mph. I wouldn't want to drive it like that for long periods of time, but it probably wouldn't be too hard on the engine.

"J-code" versions of the 6.2 are NOT military specific. All civilian trucks with the higher GVW rating had J-code verions (no EGR valve) simply because they had a high enough GVWR to lighter emissions regulations. Civilian1/2 ton trucks and Blazers did come with the C-code version, which again just added the EGR valve in the intake manifold. I have modified my stock C-code 6.2 to a J-code version by removing the EGR and swapping intakes out. There is some debate about which versions or year had better heads but have never heard any solid documentation to what is better, just's lots of hearsay.

While the 6.2 is no power-house, you can get a pretty decent power boost by simply optimizing the timing on the pump and increasing the fuel rate some (just be careful not to overdo it). Freeing up the exhaust and intake allows for more fuel rate increases.

Quote Originally Posted by grayblazer View Post
    As far as I know there was never a M1008 with any type of "locker" or other traction aiding device in the front. There were some other variants like M1028 and others (pickup with speciality bodies on them) that had the Trac-lok limited slip (not very positive engagement).
    I purchased two M10XX's from Canadian military (crown assets auction). One M1008 and one M1028 (ambulance service body removed, cab chassis). Both were 350 gassers. The M1028 had a Track-lok "lunchbox, aka drop-in" locker in D60. The M1008 had a full carrier replacement Detroit locker in the D60. I was surprised to see this, as neither truck was ever privately owned, which means the truck was ordered this way (unlikely) or the carrier was replaced with the full detroit by military mechanics (likely) as either a repair or upgrade.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 03-04-2010 at 07:53 AM.

There a CUCV buff near me, he has like 3 008's and a 009 blazer he drives daily.

1 of his 008's have detroit lockers in the front, bIts an 87, the other 2 are 86's with open diff's up front.

Oh and the m1008 was rated at 5/4 ton because of that giant spring pack out back.
    Currently-
    -91 RCLB C1500 silverado 4.3L 5 speed GU4 G80 beater truck
    -91 Dodge 350 4x4 12v Cummins/5spd 384hp/802tq

SOLD and missed-- 91 RCSB GMC, restored Black on black, 2/4 drop, 17x9 Torq thrusts, built 350tbi, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Redneck Hillbilly Fix 'er Redliner Raw's Avatar

I'd imagine gearing would contribute too, being so slow and able to lug.
    94 C1500 RCLB, 305/5LM60, 14 BFF, 3500 springs, 4.10's, 265/75LT16's, 235/85LT16's, 4 Wheel Disc conversion

Quote Originally Posted by WildChevys View Post
    stop riding kirk's d i c k without a helmet and go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quyonmob View Post
    I purchased two M10XX's from Canadian military (crown assets auction). One M1008 and one M1028 (ambulance service body removed, cab chassis). Both were 350 gassers. The M1028 had a Track-lok "lunchbox, aka drop-in" locker in D60. The M1008 had a full carrier replacement Detroit locker in the D60. I was surprised to see this, as neither truck was ever privately owned, which means the truck was ordered this way (unlikely) or the carrier was replaced with the full detroit by military mechanics (likely) as either a repair or upgrade.
    Like I said above, there is lots of inaccurate info.

1. The Dana-Spicer produced Trac-lock is a full case clutch pack based limited slip, definitely not in any way a "lunchbox" style locker......so you are wrong in some way with what you have.
    2. The CUCV trucks never left the factory with 350 gas engines to the best of my knowledge (never seen any documentation stating otherwise). Maybe the trucks were ordered by the military, but they weren't U.S. military spec vehicles. Probably a decent chance they were modified over the years, or the Canadian military spec'd them out differently.

Keep in mind that these trucks are over 20 years old and with the ease of parts interchangeability it's quite likely that a used truck will have different parts then when if rolled off the assembly line.

These were Canadian Military spec, so no, they obviously weren't US Military spec vehicles, but were given the same designation as the US specs (like the HUMV).

350 gassers 24v electrics, TH400 D60/14BFF, 4.56's, 5/4 leaf pack in rear. Could be had 6.2 or 5.7 here. As I said both were 1986 model year. They left the factory this way, these were not gas conversions. If they were, it was a damn slick conversion.

These were straight from Military via Crown assests. Only modifications would have been done by military, which was likely how the lunchbox locker (which I apparently misnomered as a trac-lock, but is more like a lock right or other drop-in/lunchbox locker) got in there.
    Last edited by Quyonmob; 03-06-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Redneck Hillbilly Fix 'er Redliner Raw's Avatar

Would heads from any year of 6.2L fit on a 6.5TD? I've got an offer right now for an '86 burb with a 6.2 for $500, I wouldn't mind redoing the heads to drop on my dad's '93 6.5TD. I'd then run the 6.5TD heads on the 6.2 and get a turbo setup going, or some other forced induction.
    94 C1500 RCLB, 305/5LM60, 14 BFF, 3500 springs, 4.10's, 265/75LT16's, 235/85LT16's, 4 Wheel Disc conversion

Quote Originally Posted by WildChevys View Post
    stop riding kirk's d i c k without a helmet and go to bed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234