GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2003 Duramax Starting problems

This is a discussion on 2003 Duramax Starting problems within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hard starting on cold days even after being plugged in... Had the edge programmer on it took it off and ...

2003 Duramax Starting problems

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hard starting on cold days even after being plugged in... Had the edge programmer on it took it off and it would start but still starts hard.. sometimes have to use ether to start.. replaced the crankshaft sensor.. and is not throwing any codes.. any suggestions?
    Last edited by ThomasC; 02-10-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Re: 2003 Duramax Starting problems

Quit using ether before you trash the engine. How good are the batteries? Any white smoke after its warmed up at idle? Those are signs of bad injectors.
    Last edited by dozerboy; 02-11-2010 at 06:45 AM.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Its a buddies truck, batteries are good....as for white smoke I'll have to get back with that one. Thanks

I would check the injector balance rates

these trucks should never ever see ether...just a heads up
    07 3500 CC/LB Duramax
    Just a plain ole' W/T....
    :LOL:

Talked to my friend with the truck, batteries are good and there is no white smoke after it starts. New fuel filters as well. His next guess is fuel pressure. Anything that could cause it to just act up on starts, because once its running it runs good. And what are balance rates and how do you check?
    Last edited by ThomasC; 02-11-2010 at 03:36 PM.

How long ago did he change the fuel filter? Sometimes people forget to take the old o ring off and it lets air in, or the filter might not be seat all the way or the filter head may have a small crack. Another thing is the WIF sensor on the bottom of the filter might be broke and letting air in, that happened to me and it had the same problem.
    07 3500 CC/LB Duramax
    Just a plain ole' W/T....
    :LOL:

Changed the fuel filter twice in the last month thinking he got some dirty fuel, wasn't it. Changed seals both times the filter was done. The WIF Sensor as you call it was broke when he bought the truck. Ran perfect for two weeks or so after he got it. Then it started doing this. I believe the fuel also jelled up once after he got it too. I'm not a duramax guy, so be specific please...haha thanks. Also, the edge programmer had some broken wires and stopped working properly. That's why he took it off, is it possible those wires arcing could have erased proper fuel maps to the truck, or something else for that matter? Just throwing that out there too...

So it cranks good it just doesn't fire? Maybe glow plugs, but I think it should code then. Where is the truck from? Some areas have different emission regs and that causes different thinks to or to not to trip the CEL. To check the HP themselves you have to check the resistance from the power supply terminal on the GP to the block. It should be less than 1 Ohm. The check the harness/bus bar that supplies power to the GPs. If one is bad take GREAT care in removing it they break easily. Maybe a fuel regulator issue to, but I'm not familiar with there symptoms.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Yeah it cranks fine. The truck is from Colorado.

If the WIF is broke unless it's the wires or it's not working borke. He should replace that. Could be letting air in.
    Has he tried to prime it when it's hard to start?

03 Silverado ECSB, Dmax, Allison, 3.73 G80
    96 Silverado ECSB, 350, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker
    05 Cavalier
    74 Corvette Stingray, 350, 4 speed
    49 F-1, flathead 6, 4 speed, 2wd, unknown rear end. Old rust bucket.