GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top 10 Duramax mods

This is a discussion on Top 10 Duramax mods within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Okay so im looking to pick up a 2001-2006 2500hd CCSB duramax soon, I'm looking for power and durability!!! 1-EFI ...

Top 10 Duramax mods

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Okay so im looking to pick up a 2001-2006 2500hd CCSB duramax soon, I'm looking for power and durability!!!
    1-EFI Live or Six-GunŽ Diesel Tuner & Speed-Loader
    2-RBP Duramax Air intake system
    3-Borla si/so 4" XR-1 12" case diesel muffler
    4-Trans go shift kit

So far thats what I got guys whats your guys thoughts on the top ten mods for power & durability, in intakes, turbo back exhaust, chip or power programmers, intercoolers, TQ, Allison mods, ect??
    Last edited by NS Outlaw 525; 03-01-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Re: Top 10 Duramax mods

depends how much you are looking to spend. If you are looking at some serious power adders, I would recommend a sun-coast tranny. If you can't afford that, then at least go shift kit and torque converter. That will make that Allison bullet-proof
    96 k2500 Suburban, 454, 4.10's, superchip, k&n, stat, be-cool, buckstop, PIAA, HID, billet grille, tint, Kicker, polk, esky cluster, Bilstein, led swap - SOLD

2011 Silvy, 5.3, almost stock, 35% tint, bed liner,

2010 Silvy, 5.3, bed liner, painted bumpers, smoked tails, black emblems, 25% tint

Formerly inside your MOM. RoLL1n D4rK's Avatar
    B1ow1n B1aCk Sm0k3 ThRoUgH MeMpHiS, T3NaK3y

gauges, intake, 4" turbo back straight pipe, EFI, transgo shift kit, Torque converter, FASS 150, ported fuel rails depending on year you get... injectors, turbo
    02 DMAX!!!!!! 6" fabtech kit on 315/75/16's AFE intake and 4" straight pipe

Okay so Banks makes a piller style gauge thing, anything on the RBP intake?? http://www.rollingbigpower.com/produ...roducts_id=154, so you guys think the EFI over the banks setup?? for sure the shift kit and TQ, whats the FASS 150?? whats some options for infecters better then stock?? and isnt the 6.6 duramax turbo'ed????

the FASS 150 is a fuel pump. It stands for Fuel Air Separation System. IMO the 150 is a little large unless you are looking at a truck that's gunna be at the drag strip a lot. For a street truck, I would recommend the FASS 95. It still helps out a lot when adding a programmer and injectors while being more mpg friendly.

In terms of injectors, I would run a set of 50hp injectors either from Industrial Injection or ATS. Similar to with the fuel pump, more isn't always better. I have seen trucks make more horsepower with a 90hp or even a 50hp injector than a 120hp injector just because the 120 adds too much fuel.

I have seen trucks with RPB intakes before, and while they are nice, they are very expensive (as is anything with the RBP logo). I really like the AFE stage II intake as well as the Banks Ram-Air intake.

The stock 6.6l does have a turbo, but the actual turbo changes depending on the model of the engine. the lbz (and i believe possibly the few 06 lly's) have a variable geometry turbo, where as the lb7 (and i believe 04.5-05 lly's) do not. The lbz also has a lower compression ratio, which actually often means more power with diesels and the lbz comes with a 6-speed tranny instead of the 5-speed.

I prefer EFILive over Banks because of the customization that the tune has. The Banks chip is nice, but it is rather expensive and you only get the 7th level if you purchase the six-gun + pda. I do like the look of the Banks gauges, but you might also want to look at Auto Meter, just incase you are looking for a different style gauge face.
    96 k2500 Suburban, 454, 4.10's, superchip, k&n, stat, be-cool, buckstop, PIAA, HID, billet grille, tint, Kicker, polk, esky cluster, Bilstein, led swap - SOLD

2010 Silvy, 5.3, bed liner, painted bumpers, smoked tails, black emblems, 25% tint

There is a good list that has been posted before. The stock intake is good enough for a truck that still has the stock turbo. Stock injector have been pushed to 700HP. No point in doing a Trango shift kit in anything but the 06+. For the earlier ones you have to drop the trans and if your going to that might as well just have it fully built.
    A new down pipe should be added to the list its better then a new exhaust and only $200.
    Secondary fuel filter
    Beefed up IFS parts
    Last edited by dozerboy; 03-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.

Agreed with the uprgaded IFS. Control arms, ball joints, and tie rods should all be upgraded, especially if you spend a good amount of time in 4wd. If you are doing an exhaust, CHANGE THE DOWN PIPE!

I hope this helps you some more. If you need any help with any more parts (specifics, part numbers, etc.) feel free to pm me at any time.

Okay so far ive came up with these, EFI live, trans go shift kit and banks TQ and a mag-hytec Allison trans pan, and AEM Brute Force HD Intake System for the duramax, FASS 95 fuel pump and 50hp injectors by Industrial Injection!! So what do you guys think of my list sofar??
    Last edited by NS Outlaw 525; 03-04-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Windham, Maine (home) Orono, Maine (school)

If your not going to fully build your tranny, go with a banks six gun. I think banks is the best programmer for a truck without a built tranny. It adds the most power and has safety features built in that will prevent you from blowing your expensive allison. If your willing to drop 4 grand for a built tranny, then by all means efi live is the way to go.
    03 Silverado RCSB LS, 5.3, Whipple Supercharger @ 10psi, Long Tubes, ORY, Dynomax, Tuned by Justin @ Blackbear Performace

I agree that the Banks six-gun is a great chip, but it is over priced and does not offer the customization that the EFILive tune does. If you can find a great deal on one go for it, but if you like seeing black smoke pumping out this isn't the chip for you.

so i want to do the efi live!? will a shift kit, aftermarket tq and a mag hytech trans pan be good enough?? Im gonna admit ill probably race and burnout a little haha

I think you will be just fine. With a shift kit and tq, you greatly increase the amount of power your tranny can hold without failure. Another thing I would add to the is a TCU. as I said before, ATS isn't my favorite company, but I love how their co-pilot works with the Allison.

If you can find a great deal on one go for it, but if you like seeing black smoke pumping out this isn't the chip for you.
    Sorry, but I could not disagree more. The Banks 6 Gun will not in any way shape or form pump out black smoke. Aint happening. I have a 6 gun PDA, and if you pound this thing in level 5/6...it will not allow you to overfuel...that is the main SAFETY feature of the Banks system. If it senses over fueling..it'll shut ya down rather than blow your motor/limp your tranny.

I'm not in any way knocking EFI Live. That is software that is a whole world away from canned programmers...by a light year or so. But you had better know what the hell you are doing with that, or better yet have someon like IdahoRob or someone that is very higly experienced to do a cpl of tunes for you.

As far as intakes are concerned..dont bother unless you are building a motor that will get you over 550 Rear Wheel HP. It will not make any difference below that level. As per Dozer, if you get an LB7 or LLY, don't bother with a full Transgo, jsut build a tranny...if you get a later model 06/07 classic LBZ, then by all means get a transgo Jr. cheap insurance for up to about 500+ HP. I too like the extra protection of an additional fuel filter. Bad fuel is no fun at all.

Lift pump ala FASS 95 or stand alone lift pump (PPE), or an Airdog would not hurt.

bout all i can add here.

cheers
    '06 "LBZ" D'Max-Ally CCSB SLE Blanco
    174,410 miles
    ..and a few mods
    in my GARAGE
    Go Canada Go

Quote Originally Posted by steakman View Post
    Sorry, but I could not disagree more. The Banks 6 Gun will not in any way shape or form pump out black smoke. Aint happening. I have a 6 gun PDA, and if you pound this thing in level 5/6...it will not allow you to overfuel...that is the main SAFETY feature of the Banks system. If it senses over fueling..it'll shut ya down rather than blow your motor/limp your tranny.
    We are actually in agreement on this. We both said that the Banks chip will not blow out smoke.

any guys in oregon / Washington that you would recommend to have efi tune my dmax??

maby cali if he was one of the best??

I wouldn't go with a BANKS TC, just avoid banks, he's too expensive and the TQ is the exact thing everyone sells.

Suncoast is where its at....theres suncoast trannies in some of the TOP HP/TQ duramaxes.
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

okay ill check out the suncoast stuff, anything on the efi tunes around me here in oregon??

Okay so i checked out the Suncoast TQ's and they got 5-series?? The 1054/1055/1056/1057/1058, so with the EFI live, AEM brute HD intake, turbo-Back exhaust, aFe Intercooler tube, fass 95 and like 50hp injectors, a mag hytec trans pan and the Transgo shift kit and suncoast trans cooler which TQ would best suit the duramax 1054/1058-series?? and is this a good set-up for power and durability??
    Last edited by NS Outlaw 525; 03-06-2010 at 03:05 PM.

You need to ask them.

the series numbers is the tightness before it locks up. with a stock turbo and a good tune i'd say go tight as possible maybe one stage looser.

The loose converters are for the guys that have to spool up a big turbo(s), loose/tight = stall speed (loose is higher speed, tight is lower stall)

Email them or call them and ask,

The setup you just listed is a good setup for cool egt's (safe power). Honestly though i'd hold off on the injectors because they're just not necessary unless you want like 550hp+ from what i hear.

And the transgo kit is only if you get an 06+ LBZ with the 6spd auto.
    Last edited by crossy's son; 03-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast