GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

05 duramax?

This is a discussion on 05 duramax? within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; it probly been answered but, was wandering if some one can point me in the right direction. i want to ...

05 duramax?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    it probly been answered but, was wandering if some one can point me in the right direction. i want to put some aftermarket stuff on my truck. i want better gas mileage, better cooling, i am thinking exhaust, chip, down pipe, some inter-cooler parts. and i was wondering last time few times i have used it taking some scrap metal in i noticed that the coolant temp was getting close to 210 is that normal what should it be around. i do tow a 30ft. camper during the summer to. but in all just want some upgrades to get better mileage and more power. thanks for any reply.

Re: 05 duramax?

intake exaust and a chip would be great but gauges are a must with a chip imo (boost and egt)

1998 K1500 350 leveled ultra 164 wheels 285/75/16s
    sig photo courtesy of meangreen1

i now that just dont know what brands and the kind of money im gona spend. dont want to go cheap but dont wana go out and buy the most expensive thinking it is the best. just wondering what brands to stay away from and ones to look for.

i alos was thinking of getting a chip with the PDA so i dont have to buy gauges and can have more read outs
    Last edited by mudboger90; 03-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.

I'm so much cooler online Mark13's Avatar

Intake- use the PPE instructions to open up your stock intake. Most likely more then enough for your application.
    Tuner- Efi Live then PPE. A good Efi Live tuner can make unbelievable changes to your truck.
    Exhaust- 4" turbo back should do the trick. I run a diamond eye with their quiet tone down pipe, no complaints about it. Also look into a BD full bore manifold. I have one and it's already pre drilled and tapped for most standard egt probes.
    Gauges- your choice but atleast get a boost and egt gauge. I run an edge insight. No power adders included in it, just digital gauges.
    Cooling- Depending on the weight of your load of scrap and the outside air temp you may be fine. I notice my gauge gets close to 210 but my edge says the truck is running maybe 190 which for me is anywhere from 3-10 degrees warmer then normal. I can get it that warm just running the truck hard.
    Last edited by Mark13; 03-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

get a lbz mouthpiece on your lly cause the one on your truck now flows like crap

what sights should i browse to read reviews and look at product?

I found a sight dmaxstore. i think i am definitely going to get a lbz mouthpiece"good call woody". think im going to get new boost tubes. i do wana get a 4" down pipe and still trying to find a turbo out exhaust but still not sure what to get there. and do i need a tuner if i do those mods? i wana get one but just wondering if i can do mods first and see were i stand. and what kind of tuner should i look for? not sure if i wana mess with efi live i see that everyone is selling there banks six gun and edge juice programmer cause they want a efi live but not sure on that yet.

what is an egr block off and pcv reroute. i know what the parts are just not sure what the reason people are messing with them.
    Last edited by mudboger90; 03-22-2011 at 07:06 PM.

you dont need a tuner if your just doing intake and exhaust upgrades. theres some good tuners out there for efi live that will sell you tunes already made so you dont have to mess with it yourself

what do you guys think of the edge evolution cs or cts. and does it really mater on what brand of exhaust kits what to stay away from