If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Can I drive it without a serpentine belt

This is a discussion on Can I drive it without a serpentine belt within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; my dad paid about 50 bucks or so for a new idler pulley at an auto parts store. cheaper than ...

Re: Can I drive it without a serpentine belt

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    my dad paid about 50 bucks or so for a new idler pulley at an auto parts store. cheaper than the hundred for towing. cheaper than repairs later down the road. we did the fix and everything in the parking lot. you could probably drive it to a parts store. it was for his 5.3 though, not sure how much for a dmax. could be the same though.

sorry i didnt realize how old your post was.

Not familiar with the Duramax, as mine is a 94, but what will spin your water pump for the trip home?
    2003 Silverado K1500, 4.8, auto
    Former USMC,Retired Navy,Lifemember DAV,Proud Member Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by storminsince73 View Post
    Not familiar with the Duramax, as mine is a 94, but what will spin your water pump for the trip home?

Nothing, that was one of the main concerns with driving it. His trip was short enough that he made it home with no apparent problems. I think he was pushing it though. As someone else said, with no coolant flow there are hot spots in the motor that the temp gauge wasn't showing.

Over 12 MPG, Not for me Punk6296's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERZ View Post
    Its also useful if you get super wasted at a bar and they'll take you and your car home for free :P
    haha been there done that, used to get super trashed at this bar near me and pass out in the back of the burb... got a couple howdy dooty cops that wouldnt let me do it and were gonna arrest me if i didnt get some way to get my drunk ass and truck home.. so i had AAA tow me.. was a great Eff you to the cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred95 View Post
    There is this thing in the glove box containing multiple pages of useful information. In some parts of the world they refer to it as the owners manual

It's What Lurks Within...

Quote Originally Posted by Darty03 View Post
    Nothing, that was one of the main concerns with driving it. His trip was short enough that he made it home with no apparent problems. I think he was pushing it though. As someone else said, with no coolant flow there are hot spots in the motor that the temp gauge wasn't showing.
    Funny since this has been mentioned in the thread already once but Duramaxes have a GEAR DRIVEN WATER PUMP. You could drive it until the truck died from the batteries going dead and it will do everything short of having an alternator, power steering or brakes and not hurt the engine. The OP did not hurt the truck as coolant was and always will be still flowing regardless of a belt or not.
    JUST FOR CLARIFICATION

I hate GMT900 trucks period.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12