GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2001 HD Allison performance valve body replacement advice

This is a discussion on 2001 HD Allison performance valve body replacement advice within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Awhile back I had some GM service done on my 2001 Chevy Duramax Allison automatic transmission. The shift points were ...

2001 HD Allison performance valve body replacement advice

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Awhile back I had some GM service done on my 2001 Chevy Duramax Allison automatic transmission. The shift points were slamming from 1-2 and 2-3 due to blowby in the throttle valves. The tech told me that aeventually I would need to consider an entire valve body swap if it gets bad enough. It's wearing out bad @ 220K on the ode.

Well, a year later and it's now bad enough to address. I have lost accurate shifting capability form 2-3 and 3-4 for passing and pulling. I mean the truck does fine, it's just slow and with no pressures between shifting due to massive blowby. If I make it another year pulling the camper I'll be happy so I'm hedging funds for some major service again. I want to go hunting in Colorado, and the mountains will be brutal if I try to travel long distances with it like this.

I need help and/or advice on the following:

1) What good brands would I need to look at for a total TB swap.

2) How hard of a job to do myself -vs- having my mechanic do it ? I know my way around an automatic transmission if it's a simple plug and play. If there is tuning and reflashing involved then I'm lost.

Here is one I found while googling around. Or is this even what I need ?

http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/su...valve-body.htm

My thought process is that for what GM wants for the factory replacement I can enhance the truck's performance with an aftermarket part for the same money (about a grand).
    Not only would CT destroy his soul with demeaning and hurtful words in concise sentences, he'd sick a goddamn badger on him, then post about it on FSC.
    My build thread here:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...til-complete**

EFI Live

Re: 2001 HD Allison performance valve body replacement advice

with that many miles and the shifts slipping and burning the clutches as bad as it is i would be looking into a full rebuild/built transmission. such as a suncoast stage III or something similar and would only be a few hundred more(than a grand)

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” -Abe

I was told the replacement trannies are like 6K. Am I wrong ? And if so then what can I expect to spend on a good rebuilt auto for my model ? I just put 1500 in a new transfer case last year.

I want this truck to last. The engine is unstoppable but the tranny is getting tired.
    Not only would CT destroy his soul with demeaning and hurtful words in concise sentences, he'd sick a goddamn badger on him, then post about it on FSC.
    My build thread here:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...til-complete**

I would just get yours rebuilt.Around here a stock rebuild is about $3k a suncoast V is about $5k.If you buy another the core charge is $800 or so.

03 2500HD duramax/allision,efilive,ad165,4"turbo back,etc
    95 3500HD 454/5spd century wrecker
    89 gmc 1500 350/auto,sb/stepside
    87 camaro z28 mostly stock
    72 camaro rs/ss 396/th400 looks stock