If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark13
  • 1 Post By Koots

6.3L 80's model chevy duramax.

This is a discussion on 6.3L 80's model chevy duramax. within the Duramax Forum forums, part of the General Discussion category; Does anyone know anything about these engines? I am looking into buying one and dropping it in my 89 chevy ...

6.3L 80's model chevy duramax.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Does anyone know anything about these engines? I am looking into buying one and dropping it in my 89 chevy 1500 short bed. I have been told good and bad about these engines and am hoping that more input will help clear things up.

Re: 6.3L 80's model chevy duramax.

I know they don't exist.....
    My guess is you are thinking about GM's 6.2 diesel. Not a duramax, DMAX didn't exist until 98.

That and why you would want to perform such a swap intrigues me.
    '95 C1500, LT's, 3200 stall, and some PCM tweaking

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy4life11 View Post
    ive got 8 inches and i still wish i had 6 more

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_lover View Post
    That and why you would want to perform such a swap intrigues me.
    To perform a difficult, pointless swap with an imaginary engine is something we should all aspire to....

I have been told (Not 100% sure) that it is a chevy 6.3 80's model diesel truck. I had the some response you did but I thought I would do alil research because i was offered to pay $300 for an Engine tranny combo. So i'm starting to think it's a scam. Also I like the idea of a diesel in a small truck. it's that LeTourneau Engineering ;)
    Last edited by DanL; 11-04-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Sell current truck and buy a GMT-400 1/2 ton with a 6.5
    '95 C1500, LT's, 3200 stall, and some PCM tweaking

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy4life11 View Post
    ive got 8 inches and i still wish i had 6 more

I'm so much cooler online Mark13's Avatar

It has to be a 6.2 NA motor, could possibly have a turbo that was added in the past by someone. The dmax motors weren't put in pickups until 2001 and they are a 6.6. The only thing the 6.2 and the 6.6 have in common is they run on diesel fuel and are in GM trucks.
    thedirtymax likes this.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

wouldnt be able to make enough off selling this one. the engine and tranny is bad. also wiring is a rats nest.

I Hate You All, Equally.

The 6.2L requires careful maintenance, so it's not for the faint of heart:

-They are all mechanical diesel, which only requires 12V to the pump solenoid and glowplugs (if you need them).
    -They are not as stoutly built as Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax diesels, but stronger than any gas engine you've likely driven.
    -They can crack heads between valves and cylinders. They can also crack the block around the mains and ruin a perfectly good engine too. Running main studs and stud girdle help with this, but isn't a perfect fix.
    -They are Indirect Injection Diesels (IDI) just like the 6.9/7.3 Fords (even using the same mechanical fuel pump, spinning in the opposite direction though). The downside here is that your power potential is limited and the heads will build self destructing heat very rapidly without proper cooling and tuning.
    -In Naturally Aspirated form, like most 6.2's tend to be, your truck will be retardedly slow. Diesels love turbochargers, which is why you wont see another company without one. A juiced up injection pump, fresh injectors and upgraded pump made for a quicker truck, but a lack of turbo was always holding it back.
    Last edited by Koots; 11-05-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    PinkFloydChevy likes this.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

I Hate You All, Equally.

Having said that, I love my old 6.2, even though it hasn't been running for years now. I feel they have lots of potential, but it requires patience and hard work, but it will pay off with great mileage and one of the cheapest full size diesel engines available.

I was able to get decent performance out of my NA 6.2L from running 6.5TD injectors, 6.5TD HMMWV injection pump, electric in-line lift pump and running a turbo intake manifold with custom intake tubing and AEM dry flow filter. My Dad had an 87 Suburban w/ 5.7L TBI and my 6.2L could outrun it, even with higher axle ratio, 35's and 4" lift. I would get smoked after 65MPH though, without a turbo

If you want it for performance, a turbo 6.2L is probably only gonna handle 12-15PSI and roughly 250HP and 450TQ. With good headgaskets, head studs, main studs, new harmonic balancer, bigger turbo, Intercooler, modified injection pump and headwork, you might reach over 300HP, but that's heavily involved and definitely more work than most would ever think of putting into this engine.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress