***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado (with pictures!)

This is a discussion on 4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado (with pictures!) within the Engine Swaps forums, part of the Duramax Forum category; 4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado I finally started driving my truck and thought I would show off ...

spark plugs are for cars VortecZ's Avatar

4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado (with pictures!)

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado

I finally started driving my truck and thought I would show off a little and give the details of my build. I did this engine swap so I could have a full size truck that gets great fuel mileage instead of driving some little crappy compact car. I havenít driven this truck enough yet to check the mileage but I will report back soon. I really did the swap because I thought it would be pretty cool but I use the mileage thing to justify it.

I started with a 2005 regular cab, short bed, two wheel drive, Silverado. It originally had a 4.3 V6 with a manual tranny.

Motor: 3.9L 4 cylinder Cummins Diesel removed from a Frito-Lay step van and originally had a turbo 400 tranny bolted to it. Rated at 105hp and Iím not sure of the torque numbers. It fits in the engine bay pretty nicely. I used hydraulic motor mounts out of the step van. I had to fabricate the motor mount brackets and the cross member under the motor for oil pan clearance. I used the oil pressure sensor and the temperature sensors from the V6. I also used the alternator from the V6 with a custom bracket. I used the starter from the Dodge but wired it from the fuse box instead of letting it go through the computer. The computer would only let the starter crank for a few seconds and shut-off so I bypassed it. The biggest problem I ran into was finding a good wire to use for the fuel pump shut-off solenoid. You need a keyed on power wire to it. I couldnít get the thing to start and couldnít figure out why. I made a real idiot mistake by using a wire that was on when the key was on but didnít realize it shut back off when the key was turned to start mode (these late model trucks shut off a lot of electrical things to conserve the power for the starter). I also added an intake grid heater off of a dodge. These Cummins motors use these instead of glow plugs. I made my own plates for the top and bottom of this and used the dodge relays to power it. I modified a factory fog light switch by putting a momentary switch inside of it to turn the relays on. This way, when itís cold, I hold the fog light switch down for a few seconds before I start it.

Tranny: NV4500 5 speed manual from a 1994 1-ton Dodge along with the flywheel and adapter plate. The truck originally had a NV3500 that I figured wouldnít hold up to the torque of the diesel. I had to make a tranny cross member to fit the larger tranny. The speed sensors (VSS) between the Dodge and the Chevy were too different for a simple signal converter so I had to make a reluctor wheel for the VSS to read. The chevy VSS reads a 40 tooth gear in the original tranny. My dodge tranny had a harmonic balancer on the slip yoke so I was able to mill 40 ľĒ slots in the balancer and made a bracket to hold the sensor close to it. This worked perfectly. The next problem was the slave cylinder. The NV3500 had a small internal slave and the NV4500 has a large external slave. I wanted to use the original clutch master cylinder because the mounting of it and the clutch pedal are kinda complex and wouldnít be easy to swap out with anything other than a larger one from a Duramax truck and they are too expensive. I ended up finding a smaller slave cylinder to match the volume of my master. I used one from a 1990 half-ton chevy. It needed a lot of modifying to make it fit this tranny but after cutting the flange, drilling some holes, and re-tapping the fitting hole for pipe threads and it worked great. I cut the end off of the factory braided hydraulic line and added a compression style fitting that had pipe threads. I had to use the dodge shifter but cut the lever off and welded the chevy lever to it so my interior looks completely stock.

As I mentioned, I just started driving it but I love it! It runs great. Only 105hp (well the pump is turned up a little) but the torque is awesome. It will smoke the tires in 2nd gear and bark them in 3rd. It doesnít vibrate bad at all like other 4BT owners have complained about. It is a little loud compared to the gas motor but I donít mind it and I donít think it is any worse than an old 12 valve Dodge. My next plans are getting the A/C compressor bolted to it (using the original one from the V6) and adding an intercooler.
    Daily - 2005 1/2-ton 2wd Silverado with a Cummins 4BT & NV4500
    Farm - 2003 1-ton 4x4 Dodge Ram with a Cummins 6BT & NV5600
    Toy - 1991 Camaro with full air ride, a built Vortec 350, & T56

MY PICTURES

Re: 4BT Cummins Turbo Diesel in an 05 Silverado (with pictures!)

that looks sweet, definitely unique!!!! Im gonna check back for mileage updates and possible power upgrades?

05 Gmc 2500hd, CCSB, loaded, bully dog programmer set on performance, billet grille, drop in afe filter, swiss cheese airbox, MBRP exhaust, kodiak mp, moron behind the wheel

I think even a intake and exhaust upgrade would be enough, you probably won't want a smoker! That looks a stock intake box off the v6 correct? Still running the electric fan?

05 Gmc 2500hd, CCSB, loaded, bully dog programmer set on performance, billet grille, drop in afe filter, swiss cheese airbox, MBRP exhaust, kodiak mp, moron behind the wheel

Subscribed for results

thats what im in the process of doing with an 0bs, wasnt sure of what tranny to do, will also be a sfa, as it is a 2wd chassis i am starting with, so I am going to do a 14b, and d60.

LAND OF THE OVERWORKED,HOME OF THE UNDERPAID
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado_13
    I will call your chill the f*ck out and raise you one shut the f*ck up.

great job on the swap! looks really clean. should be interesting to see what kind of milage you get.

03 GMC 2500 HD CCSB duramax, 6" full traction lift. 37/13.5/20 Toyo Open Country MT's, ATS E-Power tuner, AEM intake, Stage 3 allison
    452 RWHP/755 TQ verified on superflo dyno, 7/19/08 (ATS level 10)

dude you the man. that looks sweet. i'm going to putting a 12v in a 99 1500 too and am trying to figure out ideas to run the stock cluster. i like the ballancer idea you did.

Hey man nice build! I'm looking for a 5.9l cummins turbo for an old international truck i have. Where did you find this one and about how much do they run.

1998 k1500/5.7/3.73/Mickey Thompson MTZ/Moto Metal 951/14b sf/Wheatley tune
    1967 International 1500B/16,000 GVW/hydraulic bed/1 owner

Registered Abuser

Nice!

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 1994Gmcsierra71
    I think even a intake and exhaust upgrade would be enough, you probably won't want a smoker! That looks a stock intake box off the v6 correct? Still running the electric fan?
    I am using the stock muffler because I didn't know how loud it would be. I'm considering removing it but not sure. The air filter is the stock one from the V6 so I'll eventually change that. The electric fans are the original ones, still on, and work fin.

dude you the man. that looks sweet. i'm going to putting a 12v in a 99 1500 too and am trying to figure out ideas to run the stock cluster. i like the ballancer idea you did.
    I'm running the stock cluster and all the gauges work except the tach and I'm planning on getting it to work with a Dakota Digital DSL-2. Just use your original sensors on the 12v and they will work.

Hey man nice build! I'm looking for a 5.9l cummins turbo for an old international truck i have. Where did you find this one and about how much do they run.
    I paid $2700 for a complete step van to part out. I know some people have gotten them a lot cheaper but this one was close to home. If you are looking for a 5.9 then check the junk yards or for old Dodges with rough bodies so you can buy the whole truck cheap.
    If anyone is interested in a good low mile (less than 40k miles) 12 valve, my buddy has one for sale. I think he is asking $4000. He pulled it from a wrecked truck to do a Superduty Ford swap and changed his mind. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by VortecZ; 03-11-2009 at 04:53 PM.

MY PICTURES

amazing i am about to start the same swap...thanks for all the info...
    Fatkid Racing...
    02 rcsb 4.3 5sp 20" daytons with 255/45 toyo proxes, no cats with cherry bomb chambered muffler, 4/6 drop ,HD hood and Grille, hid's ,anzo taillights ....
    http://www.ohiofullsize.com

$4000 for a 12 valve? yikes.

We can't sell ours for $1300 ... we have a spare

Yea the 4bt vans are catching on now and everyone wants a 4b.. seems like the engines themselves go for $2000. Get the alum van and pull the motor and scrap the van.

Need more info on tweaking the pump PM me or join some forums :).... Me and my dad are masters of the VE.
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Quote Originally Posted by crossy'son
    Need more info on tweaking the pump PM me or join some forums :).... Me and my dad are masters of the VE.

Thanks, I'm more of a P-pump man but I plan on learning more about the VE myself. This one was a little wore out so I sent it to Scheid Diesel to get rebuilt. They updated it, did all their little tricks to it, and removed all the cold-start crap off the side of it. It should be good for a while. I think they may have turned it up a little too much because I get some pretty good black smoke. It should help when I get the intercooler on it.

MY PICTURES

rob

Quote Originally Posted by VortecZ
    Thanks guys.

If anyone is interested in a good low mile (less than 40k miles) 12 valve, my buddy has one for sale. I think he is asking $4000. He pulled it from a wrecked truck to do a Superduty Ford swap and changed his mind. PM me if interested.

by far, the greatest combo that SHOULD have been made.

damn ford for being loyal to international all those years...
    '94 Z-71
    H/C/I/LTs
    '02 z-71
    Stainless LT's/ORY, 285's
    '95 Formula
    364ci, 3spd, 3.73's

all, Tuned By:
    Bluecat
    KYHORSEPOWER.COM

That thing is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by VortecZ
    I think they may have turned it up a little too much because I get some pretty good black smoke. It should help when I get the intercooler on it.
    Um, not exactly. Black smoke is unburned fuel. To harness that fuel, making more power and cleaning up the exhaust, you need more air. Gotta make it breathe better.

The intercooler will help lower your engine's IAT's so you don't have a meltdown while you're leaning on it...

P.S. - Install looks good.
    Last edited by D_Theater; 03-21-2009 at 01:30 AM.

An intercooler will give it more air. It cools the air making it more dense. That means more in the same volume. I'm not saying it will help a whole lot and get rid of the black smoke but it should help a little.
    Paul07z71 likes this.

MY PICTURES

Real 4x4s' Rust ryan_thompson87's Avatar

Got any pictures of the whole truck?

87 K30-355 Vortec TBI/TH350/208/Dana 60/14FF/4.56s/Detroit/37"Bogger/Ult.TBI Mods/XtremeFI FPR vac. reference/EP241 Pump/LS1 Fans

07 GMC Sierra Classic - 2" Rough Country Full Leveling Kit/285 Duratracs/Gibson Exhaust/10% Tint/Billet Grille

SUB'd definately awesome! Try and get some videos of it.

1997 K1500-5.7L-Duals-AEM Brute force-Upgraded ign sys.-Detroit Trutrac, COOPER STT 285, 3:42's DVD player HU, KX1200.1, 2 kicker 10" L7's, Polk Components, TYC HID's, Shiftkit Built Trny
    2001 Camaro Z28 lotsa goodies-Mid 12's.

awesome swap!! Very cool. I do agree, take a video of the thing for us!! I'm also hanging on to see what kinda mileage you can pull with it. It'll probably be tough to keep your foot out of it for a while though I bet!
    04 Chevy LB7 Dmax. Some go fast goodies from Husker Diesel

SOLD!!!! 07.5 Chevy LMM Dmax DPF Deleted, EFI Live from Husker Diesel & more 448hp/834tq

1992 Chevy 1500 ECSB 4x4 350TBI 320k miles

'95 Chevy 2500 ECLB swapped in a 95 12v cummins, NV4500, 2wd

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast