***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cummins diesel conversion on chevy truck

This is a discussion on cummins diesel conversion on chevy truck within the Engine Swaps forums, part of the Duramax Forum category; I'm looking for information on a cummins 5.9 swap on a 90 chevy truck C2500 8 lug 8600 gross weight....

I Love my Chevy Trucks davbell22602's Avatar

cummins diesel conversion on chevy truck

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I'm looking for information on a cummins 5.9 swap on a 90 chevy truck C2500 8 lug 8600 gross weight.

Re: cummins diesel conversion on chevy truck

I got some pretty valuable information for you.... DONT DO IT! Its a waste of time and money. Cummins are not the reliable engine they are made out to be. you wil be frustrated daily with all the problems you will have. The only perks about them are relatively cheap power and fuel economy (assuming its a 12 valve your talking about getting) but if you dont treat it just right and i mean just right, you will have a have a huge paper weight of an engine on your hands.
    2004 chevy 1/2 ton crew cab z71. Rough Country 6 inch with 35 inch Dick Cepek Mud Countrys on 17 inch helos.

77' k5 Blazer 4 inch rancho lift 4.10 gears 33 inch mud kings.

I think I'm gonna stick with 454 vortec conversion and rebuild it with high torque parts.

Quote Originally Posted by camvk91 View Post
    I got some pretty valuable information for you.... DONT DO IT! Its a waste of time and money. Cummins are not the reliable engine they are made out to be. you wil be frustrated daily with all the problems you will have. The only perks about them are relatively cheap power and fuel economy (assuming its a 12 valve your talking about getting) but if you dont treat it just right and i mean just right, you will have a have a huge paper weight of an engine on your hands.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the Cummins engine is pretty much the most reliable Diesel engine available in light duty pickup trucks.

Also, you can find some Cummins conversion information over on competitiondiesel.com, I'm not sure how much info they have about it, but there should be some.

Yea a built up vortec 454 would be your best bet. Your gonna get suck mileage but you'll save in the long run since you won't be buying expensive parts monthly for the cummins
    2004 chevy 1/2 ton crew cab z71. Rough Country 6 inch with 35 inch Dick Cepek Mud Countrys on 17 inch helos.

I'm so much cooler online Mark13's Avatar

Yea a built up vortec 454 would be your best bet. Your gonna get suck mileage but you'll save in the long run since you won't be buying expensive parts monthly for the cummins

I'm not sure where your getting your information, but it's very wrong. The older 12v cummins are what started the diesel revolution where people realized that they arn't slow, noisy, and just good for pure work. Also they are very durable and unpicky about maintenance in stock power form. It's hard to get a much better motor then a 12v in a pickup when it comes down to the basics. Sure the new CR motors with all the electronics are easier to get power out of, but they don't come any simpler and more durable then a 12v while still being able to make stupid power if you want.

As far as swapping a cummins into a Chevy, a 12v is a good fit. It only needs fuel and air to run and power to the starter if your running a mechanical fuel shutoff. Search this site and others like competition diesel and you'll find all the information you'll ever need.
    Last edited by Mark13; 02-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

The 454 swap may be cheaper upfront cost (but doubt it, all depends on what you do to each of the engines or transmissions), but the Cummins will get greater mileage (which saves a lot of money compared to the 454) and the Cummins has less maintenance costs then a 454. Under normal circumstances all you need to do with a Cummins is change the oil and put fuel in it. Camvk91, I think you need to get your "facts" straight, because like I said earlier, the Cummins engine is pretty much the most reliable Diesel engine available in the light duty pickup trucks.
    Last edited by `Green Machine; 02-18-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post

I'm not sure where your getting your information, but it's very wrong. The older 12v cummins are what started the diesel revolution where people realized that they arn't slow, noisy, and just good for pure work. Also they are very durable and unpicky about maintenance in stock power form. It's hard to get a much better motor then a 12v in a pickup when it comes down to the basics. Sure the new CR motors with all the electronics are easier to get power out of, but they don't come any simpler and more durable then a 12v while still being able to make stupid power if you want.

As far as swapping a cummins into a Chevy, a 12v is a good fit. It only needs fuel and air to run and power to the starter if your running a mechanical fuel shutoff. Search this site and others like competition diesel and you'll find all the information you'll ever need.
    Quote Originally Posted by `Green Machine View Post
    The 454 swap may be cheaper upfront cost (but doubt it, all depends on what you do to each of the engines or transmissions), but the Cummins will get greater mileage (which saves a lot of money compared to the 454) and the Cummins has less maintenance costs then a 454. Under normal circumstances all you need to do with a Cummins is change the oil and put fuel in it. Camvk91, I think you need to get your "facts" straight, because like I said earlier, the Cummins engine is pretty much the most reliable Diesel engine available in the light duty pickup trucks.

Pretty much sums it up. Not many other engines in pickups will make it a million miles with only maintenance, fuel, and occasional minor repairs.
    1994 K1500 ECSB 6.5/4L80-E
    1987 V20 Suburban DRW 6.2/TH400. WIP.

Whatever engine I go with will be one the steps to convert my to a 2wd truck pull contest.

Umm I'm actually getting my information from real world experience not by reading what magazines say and what people claim on websites. Yea the cummins 12 valve is a pretty good light duty diesel engine but it is overrated due to lots of people jumping on the cummins bandwagon. As far as power, fuel economy, and design simplicity, you can't get any better but for reliability your better of getting a fuel injected big block.

You must have had real world experience with a bad truck(s). I know quite a few people with cummins powered trucks, all the way from higher milage 12v's to the new 6.7s and the motor is the best part of the whole dodge truck. Sure the 98.5-02 trucks with the VP44 IJ and possible 53 blocks were looked down upon but with an aftermarket lift pump and a fuel pressure guage your doing pretty good, and very few of the 53 blocks actually cracked, you only hear about the ones that broke, not the thousands of others that are perfectly fine. Even the 12v's had the KDP that was a downfall but its not to bad to fix. The 6.7 is an animal with good tuning and the emissions crap gone, and the CR 5.9 is very happy to see power mods. I won't go into dodge transmissions since that isn't what this is about.

And I still fail to see how a fuel injected big block is more reliable then a motor that takes only fuel and air to run. No computers, no wiring, no sensors, no spark, nothing. There's a reason that pump stations, generators, heavy equipment, light and medium duty trucks, etc were outfitted with a cummins (or other mechanically injected small diesel from proven companies). Its a very simple motor that takes abuse well and requires very little maintenance. How many pump stations, generators, heavy equipment, have you seen with a fuel injected big block in it? Sure you can get pickups and medium duty trucks with big block's in them all day long.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

Umm I'm actually getting my information from real world experience not by reading what magazines say and what people claim on websites. Yea the cummins 12 valve is a pretty good light duty diesel engine but it is overrated due to lots of people jumping on the cummins bandwagon. As far as power, fuel economy, and design simplicity, you can't get any better but for reliability your better of getting a fuel injected big block.
    There is a reason why people "jump on the Cummins bandwagon", people like simplicity and power. Those two usually do not go together well. But when you find it. People follow the trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Berkeley
    I'd better make hay while the sun shines.

i cant believe no one has said this yet but the 5.9 and 6.7 are MEDIUM DUTY motors in a LIGHT DUTY truck. it is a 500,000 mile motor, the only issue with them is being in a 50,000 mile truck from the factory

look here - http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=279711
    Last edited by 2005_Sierra; 02-19-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added link
    2005 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4WD

4.8L/auto

Does anybody know anything on the hydro assist brake conversion? Someone recommended it with using the cummins engine.

Start searching and reading man. I think your best bet would be to look at the diesel forums posted above.

Start searching and reading man. I think your best bet would be to look at the diesel forums posted above.
    If I found what I was looking in a search then I wouldn't be coming here for help period, XLR8N.
    Last edited by davbell22602; 02-19-2010 at 12:49 PM.

The hydraboost is a good idea because it runs off the power steering pump and eliminates the vacuum booster. it takes up less room and doesnt need a vacuum pump to run on. Diesels don't produce vacuum although you may need a small pump and can to run your HVAC controls
    '99 K2500 Suburban 454,4L80E,14bFF Detroit locker,dual batteries. mostly stock with 3500 springs, K&N Intake
    '84 K5 Blazer Crate 350,SM465,NP208,D44 front, 10 bolt with eaton posi rear, 4" springs with 33"s ORD Greasable bushings, shackles, some other goodies...
    2 1970 Chevelles SS396 and 454

Quote Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
    If I found what I was looking in a search then I wouldn't be coming here for help period, XLR8N.
    Not to be an @ss. But we are the last place your going to find the info you need. Our diesel section isn't very great compared to sites like Dieselplace, Comp D, DTR, etc. This is a Chevy site with a small sub forum for diesels, not a diesel site with a sub forum for chevy pickups.

2006 Chevy 2500HD
    Boss 9.2 Poly V plow

Quote Originally Posted by davbell22602 View Post
    I wasn't being rude, personally i think you are wasting your time on this forum because i have yet to see one chevy with a cummins in it on this forum. But since you feel the need to make the remark you did, let me search for you, no problem.

http://www.fordcummins.com/chevrolet...onversion.html
    http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183199

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853123

Actually vortecz did a 4bt swap into his 05, anyways, here are some more, sweetheart.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...t=cummins+swap
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthr...hlight=cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast