If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LED bulb replacement and hyper flashing - a DIY solution

This is a discussion on LED bulb replacement and hyper flashing - a DIY solution within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I had LED's in my stock tails and they weren't near as bright as normal bulbs. I also had a ...

Re: LED bulb replacement and hyper flashing - a DIY solution

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I had LED's in my stock tails and they weren't near as bright as normal bulbs. I also had a hyper turn signal, now I have no issues and people actually can tell when I hit the brakes.

91 RCSB C1500 4.3 4L60 Cash for Clunkered 8/3/09
    09 Ford Mustang Bullitt #5998 Brenspeed Tune, LCAs. 13.35 @104.3
    94 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra ModdedSOLD 9/4/08

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609
    I had LED's in my stock tails and they weren't near as bright as normal bulbs. I also had a hyper turn signal, now I have no issues and people actually can tell when I hit the brakes.

Which bulbs did you use? I wouldnt say mine are exactly as bright as the incandescent bulb it replaced, but it can easily be seen during the day in direct sunlight.
    2001 Suburban LS.
    18x10 Eagle 064's, 6" ProComp lift, Ford Keys, 1.5" rear coil spacers, 35x12.5x18 ProComp X-Terrains

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2175737

allergic to mud RollingBowTie01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01 Suburban LS
    You missed my point. In the time it took you to stand in line to pay for that flasher. You can have done to the flasher you already have exactly what some Chinese kid being paid $0.10 a week did to the one you bought.

Looking at your sig picture of your truck, I assume you did most if not all of that stuff yourself. Moding the flasher ranks up there in difficulty with swapping in those clear corner housings.
    i fully understand now what you meant, but i work at a custom shop so all i had to do was dial a number, do some work then pop it in when it came it. as for the other question i got it from napa auto parts, it is an electronic flasher upgrade that i paid 10 bucks for... a bit more then what that lil chinese kid gets paid for makin it but rather simple fix.
    sig by 454ss
    01 silverado/4.8 jet chip/K&N 77 series/throttle body spacer/3/4 belltech drop/20x9.5 boyds wrapped in 295/45/20 Toyos/'05 tails/leds/and more to come.

Beware The Evil CrankToe LOHRTBT's Avatar

Can someone tell me the part # for this as I bought an Electronic Flasher tonight and it didnt fix my fast signal. I guess I need a specific one.

Quote Originally Posted by LOHRTBT View Post
    Can someone tell me the part # for this as I bought an Electronic Flasher tonight and it didnt fix my fast signal. I guess I need a specific one.
    Slightly modify your OEM one. No need to waste money on an electronic one.
    2001 Suburban LS.
    18x10 Eagle 064's, 6" ProComp lift, Ford Keys, 1.5" rear coil spacers, 35x12.5x18 ProComp X-Terrains

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2175737

Quote Originally Posted by RollingBowTie01 View Post
    i fully understand now what you meant, but i work at a custom shop so all i had to do was dial a number, do some work then pop it in when it came it. as for the other question i got it from napa auto parts, it is an electronic flasher upgrade that i paid 10 bucks for... a bit more then what that lil chinese kid gets paid for makin it but rather simple fix.
    do you have a part number or can you tell me exactly what you asked for at napa, id like to pick one up tomorrow

......................... Atomic's Avatar

I got the $10 resistors from the12volt or something, works great.

If it ever gets warm here ill probably do that. But on the other hand i have been driving around with a fast flasher for a good amount of time to get used to it.

I do not want to mod the stock one if the results you got it what to expect. its barely slower than the hyper flash in my opinion.

I like the standard flash. I have thought about the load equalizers but the fact they get extremely hot worries me....especially when it gets hot as hell in the summer.

Im having a hard time understanding why some guys are getting replacement flashers and it works, for others not at all?

FSC Midwest Chapter! DMANbluesfreak's Avatar

I also like the Standard flash and would like to know the part number for the flasher box you got at NAPA.

I'm not averse to doing this myself, but I don't like the fact that it flashes about 1.5x as fast.

2001 Z71 Silverado, Ext. Cab, 5.3L V8 - BUILD THREAD
    Spintech Pro-Street, Vette Servo, 3" BL, Rock Sliders, 37" MTRs, Bilstein 5150s
    14B FF w/ Yukon Grizzly Locker, Leaf Sprung Dana 60 HP, NP241

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Since this thread has been revised, I'll ask a question. I had started gathering LED's to swap out. This past weekend I swapped out all the marker lights and tag lights. They don't flash so no issues of course. I already have LED tail assemblies. I have a set of 24 LED front turn/marker/DRL amber bulbs to put in soon. But wondering about the hyperflash. My understanding, the 06 does not use a flasher, but it's in the BCM. Possible for any issues of hyperflash?

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

If you do get hyperflash, you can wire in a resistor in parallel with the bulb to fool the BCM into thinking a regular incandescent bulb is in there and working.

You will have to have a dealer reprogram your BCM to correct the problem. I had to do it for my 08. It costs about $50.

Get in sit down hang on. SolMan98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
    If you do get hyperflash, you can wire in a resistor in parallel with the bulb to fool the BCM into thinking a regular incandescent bulb is in there and working.
    I'll keep that in mind. I might get them in this weekend. Hopeing the resisters are already built in to these, was told they were, but then again,

EBay.....

They were cheap at least.

D/D-2006 HHR 1LT 5-Speed.
    1996 Silverado, 5.7, FIPKII, Elect Fans, S/S Headers, Duals, Wait4Me, 4/5 drop on 18" Weld Evo Velosity's. STOLEN ON 9/9/2006

What about this option...Get a stock bulb and harness for it, and wire it inline behind the grille? Paint it black so no light output....would this work? And if so..how cost effective do you think it would be? I would think you could get a universal socket at the parts store and a bulb. this should avoid the hot in line load equalizers wouldnt it?

I think it would work but it might not be the cleanest way to do it. Not to mention, if the bulb burns out then you have the same problem again. Doing it correct the first time may cost a little more but can save a lot of aggrevation down the road.

You can also find the LED flashers here http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html.

Resistors cost about 50 cents each, less depending on how many you buy.

Wiring up a stock bulb is a waste of money and will most likely burn out more quickly due to lack of ventilation behind the grille.

Ok, found the relay fix. Its not quite as slow as stock but damn close. Its a Tridon Brand Electronic Flasher that is made for LED's
    part # EP29. I got it at Advance Auto Parts. It was $15.99

There you go lol.

BTW those resistors get extremely hot when under use. They will melt plastic fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
    Resistors cost about 50 cents each, less depending on how many you buy.

Wiring up a stock bulb is a waste of money and will most likely burn out more quickly due to lack of ventilation behind the grille.
    You Honestly wanna go with that theory?? That a bulb in the engine bay gets less air than one in a SEALED housing?? Come on now....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast