GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Lifting cab off frame?

This is a discussion on Lifting cab off frame? within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I am pulling my cab off the frame. I have a overhead crane and 2 forktrucks at my disposal. Cab ...

ITS CAVALRY NOT CALVARY!! Cavalry's Avatar

Lifting cab off frame?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I am pulling my cab off the frame. I have a overhead crane and 2 forktrucks at my disposal. Cab will be complete minus front clip. but will have interior, doors, glass etc. So far the best idea I have had was to take some lumber and build up the area directly inside of the rocker(truck floor, and lift the cab off with a fork truck under each rocker pannel?

any other ideas?
    Last edited by Cavalry; 06-01-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    03 2500HD CCSB, 87 V3500 5.9 Cummins , 67 Bronco Sport, 66 Bronco Roadster

Re: Lifting cab off frame?

the smartest thing i would do is take off the doors, run a wood beam through the cab and lift it like that. the way you want to do it is dangerous. if something slips, it could send the forks right through your floor pan. your better off lifting with a beam through the cab.

most unique username

use two tow straps passed underneath the cab to create a sling and lift with the overhead hoist

I have a 1988 C1500. To remove the cab, I took off the doors,fenders,cab bolts,seat,disconnected all wires,hoses,cables going to and from the cab. I then took a large heavy chain and bolted it to the cab floor in an "x" pattern using the seat mount bolts. Then I used my engine hoist and slid it in the cab, hooked it to the center of the chain and lifted the cab off the frame. i had 2 of my friends lifting on the front of the cab because it was front heavy. Then I set it on a dollie made of wood. After I replace the cab corners and rockers, this cab will go on my 89 Silverado I just picked up. It was rolled .

Good luck with your project,
    Randy

most unique username

Quote Originally Posted by Toweleeeie
    I know people who have used a sling to lift off AD truck cabs (47-55) and have severely messed up their roof because of the pressure slings put on the sides of the roof of the cab.
    A "spreader bar" (length of 2x4 placed on top of roof) will keep that from happening.

The shorter the sling is (ie. the closer the hook is to the object being lifted), the greater the forces imposed on the cab from the slings.

Joe

I would leave the doors on.
    Use a 2x6 board longer then the cab is wide. Place the board through the door window openings, use a 2.5" strap under the board and over the roof of the cab. Hook that to the crane or whatever and lift it that way.

I did that to move my '67 cab a few times with no problems.

Going from underneath the cab can bend things.
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Lifting from underneath worked fine for me. No dents or bends.

2001 Silverado - Rebuild Completed KP 6-Link, ART arms, 20" Intro V-Rod Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Wait4Me Tune
    2005 Tahoe LT: 2/3 Belltech Drop, 20" Boyd Coddington Wheels, 5.3L, K&N FIPK, Wait4Me Tune

most unique username

Quote Originally Posted by tacodell
    Lifting from underneath worked fine for me. No dents or bends.

Joe was referring to using straps as slings - passed underneath the cab then attached to hoist over roof.

I sooo badly want a lift, but I gotta have a garage with overhead first!

Yes, it will damage the rockers if you sling under the cab. I would pull the doors cause a cab w/ interior alone is pretty heavy, doors come off easy, and arn't that hard to reallign

I just pulled the cab on a Ford Ranger yesterday. used an engine hoist and lift straps from the bottom, and it crushed the rockers. I really didn't care cause it's a junker that I only needed the frame from... But in the case of pulling a cab your going to use again. What I did is what shouldn't be done

Got it lifted from the inside with the doors removed and 4 point chains on the inside of the body bolt nuts and seat belt mounts. The front end was a bit heavy all assembled, but with a little re-adjusting of the chains , I was able to balance it.

Basically the same as "someotherguy" did here http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...ab-weight.html ....... Thanks guys!!!!!
    Last edited by kevandkaye; 05-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.

@Tacodell: This is the first time I have seen your sig and that Silverado is the prettiest NBS I have ever seen. Congrats! I'm an OBS guy so I usually just look at OBS threads, that may be why I haven't seen it before. I love that truck!
    Last edited by johnnydrama; 05-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.

For anyone reading this in future, make sure to go for the corner body bolts and use long chains or ropes. Don't do like I did and use the seat bolts and too short chain. It worked the first time, but the second time I flipped my good cab onto its firewall and now have some dents to repair and a funny picture. You gotta get the hoist's hook well above the center of mass. Yep I was dumb enough to lift an extended cab by the 4 seat bolts. Hey, it worked the first time.

last cab i swapped i just had some buddys come over included the beer n man handled it

^ditto^