GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

How to disable my automatic headlights

This is a discussion on How to disable my automatic headlights within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I was wonderrin (pretty sure some1 does) if ne1 knew how to disable the automatic headlight feature on a 1999 ...

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

How to disable my automatic headlights

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I was wonderrin (pretty sure some1 does) if ne1 knew how to disable the automatic headlight feature on a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71. Plz let me know if u do.
    thx

Re: How to disable my automatic headlights

you can overide them by pushing your dome overide button (by your headlight switch) three times. then it will ding and they will go off. not sure on how to completely disable them though. hope i could be of some help

00 gmc sierra 2600's all around and 2 link w/ panhard, oba feeding 8 & 5 gal. tanks
    it'll do for now until i can get money to body drop it and finish exterior

Quote Originally Posted by Rollnlow00
    you can overide them by pushing your dome overide button (by your headlight switch) three times. then it will ding and they will go off. not sure on how to completely disable them though. hope i could be of some help
    not all nbs you can do that, and that only works till it you turn the key off

id like to know as well, im always afraid of running my battery dead real fast just listening to the radio without the truck running, the lowbeams are on as well.

- 99 Silverado - retired to spare vehicle
    Black headlights/turnsignals/taillights- 6K HID Low beams, back on stock rims. current project/DD 99 jeep TJ

why not turn the key to the accessory position and it will not turn on the headlights.

if you push the ebrake in slightly they turn off, but im not sure if the e brake is accually applied... or if u dont liek the ebrake well then get rid of the cable and just have ur ebrake pedal in all the way... im sure you can just take the switch off and some how have the switch on all the time... other then that couldnt tell you.. i didnt run a ebrake in my s10s.. but thats and s10 not a fullsize

In my 2001 and 2002 Z-71's. I just removed the DRL fuse. Don't know for sure about the '99
    DUH - I can't read!
    Last edited by randyz71; 10-18-2006 at 05:08 AM.
    2006 Silverado LT Extended Cab Z-71 5.3HO

most unique username

DRL's and Auto headlights are two different things!

Bigredz71 - I wrote up a tech article on how to do this a long time ago. Dosent seem to be on the site anymore - shoot me your email and I'll send it to you (approx 2.5meg's in size)

You can pull out the sensor on the dash and put a 1.5k resistor on the 2 wires or you can put the resistor on the wires at the BCM. The 2 wires you are looking for are A4 and A6 on the very right plug harness which is a violet or purple colour.

You will now have to manually switch your lights on and your DRLs will still work.

Quote Originally Posted by ibthumpin
    DRL's and Auto headlights are two different things!

Bigredz71 - I wrote up a tech article on how to do this a long time ago. Dosent seem to be on the site anymore - shoot me your email and I'll send it to you (approx 2.5meg's in size)

Yeah, i read ur post and followed ur directions and it worked perfect. I didnt mean to post the thread bout the DRLs, been meanin to erase it, just havent gotton round to it. thx

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

Quote Originally Posted by Rollnlow00
    Tried it a lot hopping it would work but it dont. wierd thing is is that a buddy of mines dad has a truck EXACTLY like mine execpt its a Silverado and it works in his.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigRedZ71
    Tried it a lot hopping it would work but it dont. wierd thing is is that a buddy of mines dad has a truck EXACTLY like mine execpt its a Silverado and it works in his.
    Because it doesn't work in 99's and early 00's.

i just found the fuse for em and pulled it on a 96 1500
    black 96'extended cab k1500

I'm curious if the DRLs will come on when using the 1.5k resistor method of killing the lights? Reason I ask is that I'd like an option to have neither the DRLs or the low beams. Can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks,
    Joel

nah my drls still come on but hey it worked, thx for every1s input

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

I LOVE THE SNOW!!! GIMECHANIC_454's Avatar

look at the front of my truck I have 2 driving lights attached in the grill I wired them into a toggle switch on the kick panel next to the hood release. My power wire is running of the DRL slot in the fuse box(to easy just pull the fuse for the DRL and get a terminal kit put a small blade connecter on a wire plug into the power side of the fuse box, run the other end of the plug into the toggle switch) find a common ground any ground will work to ground out the switch, then you hook up the wire that runs from the extra lights into the toggle switch. now you have extra driving lights that come on when your igniton is on but you can turn the lights off via toggle switch. Dont worry your headlights will still work when you have the fuse for the DRL pulled, if ya dont want to go therew the hassle off putting in auxillery lights and you still want the DRLs off all the time just pull the fuse. Its really easy maby I can take some pics of how I got mine set up so you can do it that way

JUST REMEBER IF YOUR GONA DO ALOT OF DAMAGE..DON'T STOP TILL IT SOUNDS EXSPENCIVE
    :fsc:

Member of the :fsc: 200,000 mile club

I'm not wanting the DRLs off all the time, just want the ability to turn both the DRLs and headlights off at the same time with a switch (or two switches). For instance, I'd like to turn off all lights when I go deer hunting so I can leave the truck running while I gather all my stuff. Maybe I can replace the DRL fuse with two spade connectors, an inline fuse, wire, and a switch. Would that work?

Thanks,
    Joel

If you go the 1.5k resistor route your DRLs will only come on when you put the truck in gear. They are off when the truck is in Park.

Thanks for the clarification. I plan on doing this mod this weekend.

Joel

thumpin you wan tto email me your write up
    lameenough@gmail.com
    93 Suburban 4x4

SOLD - 99 5.3 RCSB. K&N 77, Dual's, Wheatley Tune. 3.73 LSD