GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best tire for gravel roads?

This is a discussion on Best tire for gravel roads? within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; Which tire will last the longest on gravel roads? I am looking at new tires for our work truck, a ...

Best tire for gravel roads?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Which tire will last the longest on gravel roads? I am looking at new tires for our work truck, a 2003 2WD Silverado Ext Cab. Nearly half of the driving in it is on gravel, and the General Ameritracs just chip to pieces.

Re: Best tire for gravel roads?

I had my Ameritracs replaced under warranty on my 06 W/T, because they were totally ruined by 5,000 miles. They replaced them with Firestone LT rated tires which have about 25,000 miles on them now, and minimal chipping.

I do about 2/3 of my driving on gravel roads also, so I'm curious what recommendations you get.

Where I work in the summer its pretty much all gravel or light offroad. They run the Maxxis bravo 753's and 751's and they seem to do alright. They're kind of soft though and I'm not certain how many miles they get out of them. I think on the truck I was driving they put a new set on at the beginnnig of the summer and they were still pretty good at the end of the summer. It depends alot on how they get driven though.

My bfg a/t's did okay on the gravel as well. I drove about 100 miles on it over the course of the summer and didn't get any chipping or anything.
    Rest in Peace Jason Payne

I Hate You All, Equally.

i advise the BFG A/T's as well. i do alot of driving on dirt roads for all seasons except for winter. they can last me a year and a half of drifts, speeding, high speed cornering (gravel road stock truck 75 mph) and have yet to fail me completely. ive had 3 punctures in one over 5 months and it still held together until i got the money for new ones

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

i have sport king AT's and i do 90% gravel road driving and they are wearing very nicely.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-A...Sport_King_A_T

I got 99 problems and a NBS ain't one