GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07 NNBS Front bumper removal

This is a discussion on 07 NNBS Front bumper removal within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I want to replace my chrome front bumper center with a color matched one. I have a used chrome one ...

07 NNBS Front bumper removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I want to replace my chrome front bumper center with a color matched one. I have a used chrome one on the way which I'll blast/etch prime/paint. Only thing left to worry about is the disassembly. I know a couple guys here have done it and I'd like to hear any tips or tricks. Like what has to come off and in what order? Bound to save me time and maybe some breakage.

Any tips? Thanks, John
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI
    07 Silverado RCSB 5.3 / 3.73 20"LTZ wheels. Ask me how it runs in 20 years.

Re: 07 NNBS Front bumper removal

If your truck has the fog lights there are 6 bolts (4 bolts w/o fogs) to remove the bumper. You need to remove the grill for access to the two big bolts that go through the frame. Then the fun starts. There are probably close to 40 bolts and clips holding all the bumper pieces together. I took mine apart on the carpet in the living room to prevent scratches. There are 2 white plastic clips per side that the bumper endcaps snap into that break really easy. Be careful prying on these. You will see them once you start taking it apart. I don't have a pic of them.

The color match is def the way to go on the nnbs

Last edited by REG CAB 07; 10-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.

What he said. Every piece of the bumper assembly either bolts onto the center section or in series with another piece that does. Everything has to come apart.

Make sure that you put the plastic trim pieces on top of the bumper end pieces that go below the headlights back in before reinstalling the bumper. Also tape up the bumper before putting it back on the truck because must likely you'll have to set it on the frame before you can bolt it in place. It'll also prevent scratches when reinstalling the grille.

2007 GMT-900 Silverado
    5.3 with all out Blackbear tune
    Not stock, but not on the track either, YET...

Great info guys! It will truly be a huge help.

Reg Cab 07, Your truck came out really well. Looks like you painted the valance too. I assume you sand it and use adhesion promoter.

Many thanks, John
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

Well, I put the new blue bumper on this morning and it came out well. Thanks again guys. Without you, I would still be trying to get the bumper off one piece at a time.

One thing I might add...The steel bumper ends have enough play to swing about an inch and it would be ugly if you got them on crooked. First thing I put together was the ends (loosely) and mounts onto the center, then test fit it onto the truck. With the mounting bolts in place, then tighten the three steel bumper parts together. Remove and finish assembly.

Hope this is useful to someone.
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

JB

Quote Originally Posted by sherman62
    Well, I put the new blue bumper on this morning and it came out well. Thanks again guys. Without you, I would still be trying to get the bumper off one piece at a time.

One thing I might add...The steel bumper ends have enough play to swing about an inch and it would be ugly if you got them on crooked. First thing I put together was the ends (loosely) and mounts onto the center, then test fit it onto the truck. With the mounting bolts in place, then tighten the three steel bumper parts together. Remove and finish assembly.

Hope this is useful to someone.
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

Yeah, I see what you mean. Wish I had taken at least one pic. But maybe I can make my words more clear too. The gist of it is to test fit the steel bumper "skeleton" onto the truck frame before adding any plastic parts, and tighten the three main bumper sections together using the truck as a jig. There, clear as mud.

I know you've done yours JB, but for the unlucky ones who haven't...

Not really a bad job. The assembly comes off the truck easily and I think it went back together quicker than it came apart.

I'll have to get an updated photo of the truck tomorrow. Looks like a sawed off LTZ now.
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

Ok, here's a pic of the result. Well worth the effort.

I had some adhesion promoter to use on the valance but in the end I didn't paint it. The texture looked like a bear to remove and on a dark truck, it just really doesn't jump out at you. Maybe someday...
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

JB

Thats much better, looks great. I didnt paint my valance either. I also figured that on a dark color it just wasnt worth it. Now if I had a Red or White truck I probably would.

congrats
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

Thanks man! I get a much better feeling when I see it now.
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

That came out lookin' great!! Huuuuge difference in appearance when colormatching all the parts.

Good job Sherman!!

96'RCSSB 5.0L Cammed LS1 or 6.0 Coming Later
    03'RCSSB 5.3,3:73's,G80 SOLD!!

Thanks Gran Patron!

Yeah, I'm satisfied with the nose now. Got to figure out the next project. Mirrors or rear bumper or more lowering or...
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

Homesick NBer
    Edmonton, AB (but still an easterner at heart)

Quote Originally Posted by sherman62
    I want to replace my chrome front bumper center with a color matched one. I have a used chrome one on the way which I'll blast/etch prime/paint. Only thing left to worry about is the disassembly. I know a couple guys here have done it and I'd like to hear any tips or tricks. Like what has to come off and in what order? Bound to save me time and maybe some breakage.

Any tips? Thanks, John
    i just did one of these at work, due to transit damage, thing had 5kms on it, these bumpers are like 6 pieces, all bolted together, plus the foglights, and brackets. took me like 5 hours to remove from truck, dissasemble, remove the damage center chrome section and reinstall the new one then put it back on the truck. its actually not that hard but, every piece has to come apart just to do that center section, i tried to remove it by it self, look like it could, of course not it wraps in around the corner sections, and around the fog lights.

myself, i think i will stick to my one piece bumper on my 97 thank you, why does gm have to keep making things more difficult every year.
    2003 Chev Silverado 4x4 4.10 gears and it has a 4.8L
    1997 GMC Sierra 4x4 4.3L 4L60E KOSS CD player,16mpg,3.73 gears z71 skid plates <<<sold

4th year apprentice at Chev Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by kenman1717
    i just did one of these at work, due to transit damage, thing had 5kms on it, these bumpers are like 6 pieces, all bolted together, plus the foglights, and brackets. took me like 5 hours to remove from truck, dissasemble, remove the damage center chrome section and reinstall the new one then put it back on the truck. its actually not that hard but, every piece has to come apart just to do that center section, i tried to remove it by it self, look like it could, of course not it wraps in around the corner sections, and around the fog lights.

myself, i think i will stick to my one piece bumper on my 97 thank you, why does gm have to keep making things more difficult every year.
    I've got a total bumper replacement coming on order. It's going to replace the whole bumper deal including the 2 body color end pieces. So doing just that I wouldn't have to disassemble all the pieces correct? Just take it off of the truck in one big piece?

If it's a big hassle to take all that off they said they could do it for $75 might be worth it.

JB

Yes Nathan you can do the swap easily. You just remove plastic cowl thats on top when you open the hood. Then remove the grille which is about (4)10mm bolts on top and the rest of it held on with clips. This will then expose the bolts that hold the bumper on the frame...(8) 18mm bolts most accessed from above. Then underneath there is (1) 13mm on each end and (1) 10mm for the fog light support brkt. Then the entire assembly just slides out without even having to remove the tow-hooks. This shouldnt take you more than an hour and thats taking your time.

I removed my stock bumper, swapped all the pieces to my black bumper and reinstalled everything by myself all in 2 hours and I took my sweet time
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

Yeah, I was thinking an hour to swap complete bumpers. Maybe 1/2 if you are racin'.

I really liked the fact that the fasteners tend to be the same size whenever possible, meaning you use fewer tools. If this truck were built in the 70s, it would have many different screws and bolts (Standard, metric, Phillips etc) in place of those 30 10mm headed bolts.

When I removed my hitch and did the rear shackles, everything was 13/16 I believe. Niiice!
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to do it myself. They want $90 to take it off and put on the new grille guard bumper replacement.

I have a rolling A-Frame here at the house I plan on holding the new bumper up on to get it onto the truck since it weighs 300 pounds.

Save the $90 for something else.

I know this is a long ****, but I have been watching ebay for some time now, looking to get a center section for my front bumper, I want to color match mine also, but I need one to paint so I can swap it out. Do any of you guys that did the install have a old one laying around? If its chrome that does not matter, I will sandblast and etch prime it anyway.
    78 Chevy C-10 SCLB
    KP Components 6 Link
    4" Frame "Z"
    Modified Front Cups
    Slam Specialties RS-7 Bags
    1/2" Blitzluft Valves
    All Stainless Swedgelok
    20" Boyd Coddington Rodder's
    Suicide Doors
    UNDER ---- CONSTRUCTION

Quote Originally Posted by Draggin78
    I know this is a long ****, but I have been watching ebay for some time now, looking to get a center section for my front bumper, I want to color match mine also, but I need one to paint so I can swap it out. Do any of you guys that did the install have a old one laying around? If its chrome that does not matter, I will sandblast and etch prime it anyway.
    I put an add on craigslist to trade my chrome stuff for the W/T parts. So I don't have an extra. I know JB said he sold his chrome bumper. not sure about the other guys

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to do it myself. They want $90 to take it off and put on the new grille guard bumper replacement.

I have a rolling A-Frame here at the house I plan on holding the new bumper up on to get it onto the truck since it weighs 300 pounds.

Save the $90 for something else.
    Dang, 300 lbs! That might actually be worth the $90. But I like your attitude. That cash will get you another upgrade.
    91 G20 van, 350 TBI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast