GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

88-93 GMC grille to 94-98 GMC conversion ??'s

This is a discussion on 88-93 GMC grille to 94-98 GMC conversion ??'s within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; Can someone make a list of everything i'm going to need to convert my 91 GMC front end to a ...

Question 88-93 GMC grille to 94-98 GMC conversion ??'s

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Can someone make a list of everything i'm going to need to convert my 91 GMC front end to a 94-98 GMC front end??

I searched BTW. Did'nt come up with much.

Just looking for someone who has done the swap and can tell me what modifying I'm gonna have to do and what I'll need to purchase.

Am i going to need a whole nother core support ?

heres what im looking at--- i want mine gloss black to match truck. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-B...Q5fAccessories

Thanks, Brandon
    Last edited by crossy'son; 03-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Re: 88-93 GMC grille to 94-98 GMC conversion ??'s

You need the grille and sidemarkers, obviously, and you'll need the big center bumper filler panel and the 2 corner fillers and the 2 inner bumper mounts.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Supporting Gold Member GreaseDog's Avatar

arent the outer bumper brackets different?

you'll also need the center grille support that screws to the hood latch support, 88-93 trucks dont have this.
    Last edited by GreaseDog; 03-03-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    77 Chevy K20 - 80 GMC K2500 (in pieces)
    90 Chevy K3500 - 93 Chevy C2500 (in pieces) - 94 Chevy K1500

Maybe it's the outer ones. I dunno. It was a looooong time ago. :LOL: You don't NEED the center grille support. I never had it and the billet grille I had would have negated that anyhow.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Blinded' by tha Light' Big~Kenny's Avatar

This is the part i dont understand about the conversion, u NEED the upper bumper brackets, but what do they do?! If they move the bumper in closer, wont u need the other brackets as well!?! Are am i missing somthing very simple here???

BTW: PershingAutoBody is very good to deal with, i bought my cab corners from them, great customer service.
    Last edited by Big~Kenny; 03-03-2009 at 10:49 PM.

1991 GMC |350 V8| 2 Alpine S-10's |Kenwood X792 |Pioneer D1200M Amp |Polk 6's |6000K HID's | CB Vortex | 20% Tint | 33x10.50 BFG on 15x8 Eagle 058 | 94+ Grill

'89 GMC RCSB | Sold 05/08/09

'91 VW Passat

'00 VW Jetta - DD

Quote Originally Posted by Big~Kenny
    This is the part i dont understand about the conversion, u NEED the upper bumper brackets, but what do they do?! If they move the bumper in closer, wont u need the other brackets as well!?! Are am i missing somthing very simple here???

BTW: PershingAutoBody is very good to deal with, i bought my cab corners from them, great customer service.

The newer bumper brackets move the bumper out a little. The 94-98 center filler piece won't fit (correctly) with the older bumper brackets. I know for a fact that the center brackets need replacing, but it's up for debate on the outer braces. I've read about people retaining the 88-93 outer braces, so I'm guessing they'll work. I just happened to find someone with a full set of 94-98 brackets and braces, so I bought them all. There is also a little black bracket behind the center of the grille that is different, although a lot of people discard it and do not use that mounting location. Also, something you might want to look into is the plastic nuts for the parklights. On my '93 GMC grille, the park light nuts were in 4 pieces, one used on each side of both lights. They were quite thick, probably an inch or so thick, and spaced the lights out. The ones I needed for my 94-98 Chevy grille were just regular square plastic nuts. I'm not sure if the newer GMC grilles use those or not.

Also, I've read about the earlier grilles (88-91?) not having the provisions in the core support for the attachment points for the center filler piece. You can rig something up to work though, I'm sure. So basically, you'll need the 94-98 fillers (center, left, and right), 94-98 grille, 94-98 corner lights, 94-98 center bumper brackets, and possibly those items I mentioned earlier. If it were me doing it all over again, I'd buy a GM grille, and not the aftermarket POS I have now. I know they're expensive, but you'll cuss at yourself for years if you don't go ahead and buy one.
    -Grant

Quote Originally Posted by g9m3c
    If it were me doing it all over again, I'd buy a GM grille, and not the aftermarket POS I have now. I know they're expensive, but you'll cuss at yourself for years if you don't go ahead and buy one.
    i bought the highest quality grille i could find locally (we have 5 or 6 different places in town who deal in replacement body parts), i looked at probably 20 different grilles, finally settling on the one i currently have in my 94, and its still a piece of crap. i'm thinking about dechroming the original, painting it, and putting it back on when i eventually repaint the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog
    i bought the highest quality grille i could find locally (we have 5 or 6 different places in town who deal in replacement body parts), i looked at probably 20 different grilles, finally settling on the one i currently have in my 94, and its still a piece of crap. i'm thinking about dechroming the original, painting it, and putting it back on when i eventually repaint the truck.

If you ever do that, definitely let me know how it turns out. It's probably next to impossible to find a used sport grille, so it would be ideal to paint a chromed one if you can get all the chrome off. It'd be awesome to find one that most of the chrome is already peeling on. I've noticed that there's far fewer peeling 94-98 grilles than 88-93's, though. Apparently, they improved their adhesion techniques in that time period.
    Last edited by g9m3c; 03-04-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    -Grant

i dont remember if my 94's grille was peeling or not, but it just looked like crap. the chrome was pitted, and in areas it was green. i had the "brand new" grille that i put in the 93 sitting there, so i put it on.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

The difference between the 88-93 and 94-up inner bumper brackets is about .5" - as far as the outers, there's enough slack when the outer brackets are loose that it doesn't really matter. From what I can tell there's no part # difference between the two generations as far as the outer brackets go.

Richard

Thanks guys, I'm making a list. I'll keep looking in the boneyards. Its harder to find a 94+ gmc then it is to find a 94+ chevy around here,

Everyone said different things but which bumper brackets do I need exactly? center? outer? inner? how many is there lol
    91 Dodge 4x4 12v Cummins Intercooled/5 speed, D60 & D70 rear w/ 3.55's and a Powr-Lok--- Lots of fuel and some boost-

SOLD-- 91 Reg. cab shortbed GMC, Black on black, 350tbi crate, 5 speed w/hurst shifter, 3.42 G80--- Over 400,000 miles on body

Quote Originally Posted by crossy'son
    Thanks guys, I'm making a list. I'll keep looking in the boneyards. Its harder to find a 94+ gmc then it is to find a 94+ chevy around here,

Everyone said different things but which bumper brackets do I need exactly? center? outer? inner? how many is there lol

You need the main center bumper brackets; there are two of them. The outer braces you have now should work fine.
    -Grant

Thanks Grant

I just bought a pair of Cal vu street scene mirrors for my truck

Also got a mint condition jet black debadged tailgate at teh junkyard for $20! to replace my smashed one. I'm so happy

Bringing back to life.

Do i need the filler peices of the side so it'll look right? I was just reading caeman's build thread. the 94+ GMC trucks have little plastic fillers below the fenders so the gap is correct between fender/grille.

Quote Originally Posted by crossy's son View Post
    Bringing back to life.

Do i need the filler peices of the side so it'll look right? I was just reading caeman's build thread. the 94+ GMC trucks have little plastic fillers below the fenders so the gap is correct between fender/grille.

Yep, you need the center, left, and right filler pieces. I believe these would be the same for a 94-98 Chevy or GMC.
    -Grant

Quote Originally Posted by crossy's son View Post
    Bringing back to life.

Yes

1999 OBS GMC Sierra Classic ECSB 2wd-The Show Truck
    1999 OBS GMC Yukon 4dr 2wd-My Daily
    1990 OBS GMC Sierra ST RCSS 2wd-Pops Toy
    1997 OBS Chevy Silverado ECSB 2wd-Pops Daily

I've got some questions about the conversion. Ive read over other forums and stuff talking about the conversion. I have the 94-98 grille, I've bought the bumper filler panels and also the lights to do it. I see on here that I need new bumper brackets to move the bumper out which i know now, since my center filler panel wont work. What do the parking lights screw into? On my old one there was a plastic retainer that went in the holes of the grille where the screws went in. I cant find anything like that for the 94-98 grille unless i use the same ones? Also the corner lights i have nothing to secure them to or with. If someone could help me with what else i need and where to get it I would really appreciate it!