If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

94-98 gmc grille????

This is a discussion on 94-98 gmc grille???? within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; Wondering if the dual headlights will work in a 94-98 gmc grill. I have a 88 gmc and I am ...

94-98 gmc grille????

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Wondering if the dual headlights will work in a 94-98 gmc grill. I have a 88 gmc and I am wanting to put a newer grille in, but want to keep the dual headlights. Will the newer grilles have the mold of the duals or will it not look good at all?

Re: 94-98 gmc grille????

It will work fine. Same opening, I believe.
    1990 RCSB 355/700R4 4/6 drop all DJM 15x8 Cragar V5's 255/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's
    My Garage my build thread

They'll still work and look just fine in there. The grilles are in fact molded to cover the space below the lights that would be open. Go for it.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '88 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Of course you'll need all the other supporting pieces for converting an 88-93 to 94-up. Corner marker lenses, park lenses, grille-to-bumper filler strip, corner filler pieces, inner bumper brackets.

Another member here tried to use his quad sealed beam setup with an aftermarket 94-up GMC grille and it wouldn't fit. The OEM one will, though. You might need to do some trimming or whatever to get an aftermarket one to work.

The entire run of this body style uses the quad sealed beam design (though they're usually just glass housings w/replaceable halogen capsules) when exported to other countries that have different lighting standards, same grille is used.

Richard

Of course you'll need all the other supporting pieces for converting an 88-93 to 94-up. Corner marker lenses, park lenses, grille-to-bumper filler strip, corner filler pieces, inner bumper brackets.

Another member here tried to use his quad sealed beam setup with an aftermarket 94-up GMC grille and it wouldn't fit. The OEM one will, though. You might need to do some trimming or whatever to get an aftermarket one to work.

The entire run of this body style uses the quad sealed beam design (though they're usually just glass housings w/replaceable halogen capsules) when exported to other countries that have different lighting standards, same grille is used.

Richard

You know, I always wondered why the later grille was still molded for the sealed beams when none of them (in the US obviously) had the sealed beams. It never occured to me to think about the export trucks.

'91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

What, exactly, is the difference in the parking lights? Height of the overall light?
    1990 RCSB 355/700R4 4/6 drop all DJM 15x8 Cragar V5's 255/60R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's

Size and appearance. The 88-93 park lamps will "fit" the 94-up grille, but they're a little bit too large, so they sit in the spot ****-eyed and look kind of ridiculous.

Richard

Yeah, no matter what you do, the early parking lights will always look like crap in the late grilles. It makes it super-obvious that the grille has been updated and it looks half-assed.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

My old '92 rocked the '94-up grille and old park lamps when I bought it, and I ran it like that for a couple months until I wised up and bought the right ones. Didn't wanna go aftermarket so I cashed up f'in $70/ea at GM for them, but damn they looked nice. At least I had the correct fillers and bumper brackets (well OK, the passenger side fender corner filler was missing.)

Wrong park lamps...the passenger side headlight was ass, too. It didn't stay that way for long; that truck had a lot of really sketchy stuff done to it that took me some time to bring around.

Richard

When I first updated mine from the original '91 GMC grille to the '94 GMC grille, I was also pretty pissed about having to go out and buy new parking lights too. FSC wasn't around then and I didn't have any real parts hookups so I had to fork out the dough to the dealer too. This was after already having to pay a visit to the dealer for bumper mounts when I found out stuff wasn't going together right. My bodyman told me I needed the new mounts, but he didn't tell me I just needed the 2 inners, so I paid for all 4. Oh well. In the end it was all shiny and new and looked good.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

I remember that you can use the '93/earlier lights in the '94 ^ grille. Just didn't know if they were taller or what. This dude was arguing with me Thursday that you can use any of them in any year truck. I told him, "Uh, no. They are different. You can mount them, but they are different". I just walked off from him after a couple of minutes. Guys at work want to argue with me all the time about crap. They know I am on the computer if I am not at work, reading and learning anything that might help me in the future. What is funny, is I always prove them wrong. I told one last night that I don't just pull info out of my a$$. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by orange88 View Post
    Wondering if the dual headlights will work in a 94-98 gmc grill. I have a 88 gmc and I am wanting to put a newer grille in, but want to keep the dual headlights. Will the newer grilles have the mold of the duals or will it not look good at all?
    I switched grilles on my 93 Chevy to a 96 grille and had to modify a thing or two but they are the same size grille.

what bumper bracket are you talking about, and why do you have to swap it? Ive never heard of changing that, all ive heard about is the two corner and center fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by orange88 View Post
    what bumper bracket are you talking about, and why do you have to swap it? Ive never heard of changing that, all ive heard about is the two corner and center fillers.
    The 2 inner bumper brackets are different on the '88-'93 trucks vs. the '94-'98 trucks. They push the bumper out slightly to allow the later filler panel to fit. Without them, it won't fit.
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason

Some day, this info will be a sticky...since it's been posted about 2,065 times.

And when it's a sticky, people will still ignore it and ask anyway.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Some day, this info will be a sticky...since it's been posted about 2,065 times.

And when it's a sticky, people will still ignore it and ask anyway.

Richard
    yep
    '91 GMC Sportside
    '98 Chevy Suburban
    '13 Ford Focus Titanium
    -- Jason