***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Tow mirrors with led running lights......

This is a discussion on Tow mirrors with led running lights...... within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have these: http://www.am-autoparts.com/2004/GMC...-13511626.html on: ^See the amber marker on the side? They light up with the turn signals... My ...

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

Tow mirrors with led running lights......

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have these:
    http://www.am-autoparts.com/2004/GMC...-13511626.html

on:

^See the amber marker on the side? They light up with the turn signals...

My question, has anyone wired them to also come on with the running light? What wire to I splice into? Do I take the turn signal wire from the mirror and run it to the turn signal/running light up front?
    Last edited by TheBigBlackHD; 05-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

Re: Tow mirrors with led running lights......

i know 88gmctruck has a pic of the wiring he did with the diodes and stuff to make the lights work on his mirrors with the running light and turn signal

check it out

cant be to much different for the nbs trucks
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, stock for now, parts slowly being ordered

I dont know, I just looked, he had wire in everything on his. I might try it with a 5 amp fuse inline and see what it does. It should work as long as its getting 12V, might have to put a relay in there. I'll figure it out.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

check out this

this is just the wiring thing he made up so the lights work with parking lights and turn signal

Quote Originally Posted by 88GMCtruck View Post
    After multiple people asking how to wire the LEDs in as signal and parking lights, I FINALLY had enough time to draw a wiring diagram. If you can't figure it out from here, there isn't really much else I can do. You'll need 4 diodes for each mirror, and 12v+ from the parking lights and each respective signal 12V+

Basically, whichever circuit is de-energized acts as the ground circuit, if both are energized they have no ground and the light turns off. Both the parking and signal circuit have a floating ground when off, hence how the light can utilize this wiring to function. It's exactly how the front 194 marker light is wired.

97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds

Somehow I totally missed that diagram.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

thats what i was trying to tell you to look for

i dont remember what page that was on in his thread though

it pretty much describes and shows you how to wire it up with some diodes and stuff so that they work both ways

so from what im seeing.....
    Parking 12v goes to diode 12v+ for LED and LED ground. Same for signal 12v+???

I think I can figure that out!

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

pretty much one uses the other ground so you put diodes in them so that it can work like that pretty much

so has anyone done this yet? I've been kicking around the idea and just stumbled across this. thanks chris

also do they offer replacement lights for these when they go bad or if we fry them.
    Last edited by bad_bo_ti; 09-23-2011 at 06:58 PM.

I havent felt like fvckin with it. 2 of the LEDs have burnt out (one on each side) and I'm thinkin of changing them to some hyper bright amber LEDs and I'll tackle it then.............not sure when that will be tho.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe

Just did mine today, tied them in to the front corner marker/turns. mirror turn signal now only works when the marker lights are on. I just bought 25 feet of the 2 wire in a grey loom/shield from napa, worked out great. Drivers side I ran it through the firewall where the wiper or cruise wires go ( cant remember) but its right under the brake booster. passenger side is a little trickier since there are no wires going through firewall on that, I just ran it up along the fender and brought it out the back side of the fender where the door is and ran it through the door grommet. I did notice on the drivers side the plug that controls the turn signal has 3 wires. a black (which i believe tested 12V)and a blue and brown wire which is for the turn signal. the other passenger side harness plug has a brown wire. you have to use the blue wire from the second plug (must just be how the switch circuits are wired). I just cut the wires and used butt connectors. I didn't take any pics of the install. but i can get some of the wire routes if needed.

Squeaky, are those NNBS tow mirrors on an OBS? I would like to know how you did that. How is the fit from mirror to door? Are there any issues? Thanks.
    '99 Chevy Burban, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson F150 (Bad Fast) , 2006 Mustang GT, 1988 Ford TBird 5.0L, 1947 Willy's CJ-2A, 1996 Ranger, 2012 Sure-Trac 18' Car Hauler, (Soon to be adding modded 1987 Mustang 5.0L to the collection).

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

yes and no

they are the gmt800 mirrors but on a base made for the obs trucks

there are from a seller on ebay, they are the only ones that make the tow mirrors for the obs trucks like this

Squeaky...one last thought on your mirrors, do you remember the seller on Ebay with those mirrors/mounts for the OBS? Thanks again.
    '99 Chevy Burban, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson F150 (Bad Fast) , 2006 Mustang GT, 1988 Ford TBird 5.0L, 1947 Willy's CJ-2A, 1996 Ranger, 2012 Sure-Trac 18' Car Hauler, (Soon to be adding modded 1987 Mustang 5.0L to the collection).

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

optionracing was the seller i got mine from

you can get anything from the all manual to ones with signal to the power heat and signal like i got

they work good too.. i love mine

still wonderin if i can just run the signal wire up front where i taped into the corner light when i added the upper corner lights if it will work that way?
    Last edited by bigblazerboy; 10-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.

95 4x4 tahoe- was-2 inch crank block 3inch body lift 35 bfg m/t. 102ss whip with cobra 19.
    in the works- no bl sas 10 bolt front 35s 91 np241c

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3856942

I have those same led tow mirrors but mine were simply JUST for running lights. I could hook them up to my turn signals too but i havnt had the motivation too lol.