If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

straightening a door ?

This is a discussion on straightening a door ? within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I've had to replace a door on my truck and the new door doesn't fit right. I put in new ...

Stickshift Driver

straightening a door ?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I've had to replace a door on my truck and the new door doesn't fit right. I put in new pins and bushing but still the upper part doesnt sit right agaisnt the body. It doesnt touch the large rubber seal. I've included 2 pictures. It looks like someone pulled the top of the door. You can see from my other door how it should fit, it's out by 10mm or 3/8inch

Can a experienced body guy tell me how to force it back where it belongs? It looks HORRIBLE and there's a lot of wind noise and air passing through the gap

On the next pic I removed the small upper seal to show that the door doesn't sit on the primary seal

Thank for the help, I'm sure there must be a way to get enough leverage to bend it back.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/projects-builds-restorations/476411-my-obs-1500-ecsb-clean-up-paint-refresh.html
    1994 Silverado ECSB 5speed 290 000km c'mon 300k already!
    2005 Sierra 3500 SLT Diesel CC LWB DRW . Black and Tan leather finally!

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: straightening a door ?

Someone pried the crap out of it to break in. It bends pretty much where it meets the lower half of the door, you can carefully just shove it back. Helps if you block the door open with a 4x4 chunk of wood and then just carefully push on the upper part of the door, a little bit at a time until it's back into shape.

If you got the door off a very different year model than your truck you can also be fighting the fact that there is wear in the dies that are used to stamp door skins out, I've usually had bad luck trying to use doors from a donor truck too many years off from the recipient.

Richard

Stickshift Driver

my truck is a 1994, and the door is at least a 1995 since it had the newer style interior panel. I tried to find a 1988-1994 door but there is none around here. Even the nbs are rusted bad here.

I tried to push on it without much results. Where do you put the block of wood ? I don't want to damage the body or the door.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/projects-builds-restorations/476411-my-obs-1500-ecsb-clean-up-paint-refresh.html

Anywhere down low between the door and rear door jamb, obviously not against the exterior body, just to prop it open so it's away from the cab but held steady so you can bend the upper portion.

Richard

Stickshift Driver

alright, I'll try that once I figure out something to not damage the paint when doing it. I just painted the jams and door interior.

Thank for the help

OK...maybe get a gullible friend to stand between the door and cab and push the door against them?

Richard

just put a towel between the wood and the paint, work gradually, don't try to cram it all at once, it will move

Used to own a FSC, now I just have my extremely old Buick.
    Have some perspective please. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    If you got the door off a very different year model than your truck you can also be fighting the fact that there is wear in the dies that are used to stamp door skins out, I've usually had bad luck trying to use doors from a donor truck too many years off from the recipient.

Richard
    Richard, I don't doubt your experience with fitting doors, but I don't think your explanation is reasonable. If wear to the die was the culprit, then the newer the truck the wider the gap would be. Wear on the cab dies would also happen but that wear wouldn't seal up the gap. Each model year newer would show a wider gap, and a further deformed body. I would also suspect that dies do get replaced.

I'm glad to find this thread......... I would like to buy doors. Mine are rusting to the point the skin is separating from the frame.
    Last edited by 454cid; 09-08-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    454cid
    1999 K3500 RCLB

I'm not a sheetmetal stamping worker so I couldn't tell you, but what I can tell you is that if you get too far apart in years, the parts simply do not fit correctly. Been there, done that, too many times. Every now and then you get lucky, but usually not.

Anyway, the door is almost surely damaged from someone prying the crap out of it to break in. They're easier to bend than you might think, especially since there's really not that much material where the window frame meets the rest of the door.

Richard

Stickshift Driver

Ok I got it bend back to where the seal touches and the windnoise is gone. It still doesnt look right near the mirror, but I'm not strong or heavy enough to bend that corner back. But yeah, it works now, it just looks like s*** since the door doesnt line up with the fender in that corner.

I had to pry agasint the side of the house to bend it, it's much stronger than most doors ! Granted I'm only 150lbs...