***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Question on bumper differences for Stepside vs. fleetside on 96 Silverado

This is a discussion on Question on bumper differences for Stepside vs. fleetside on 96 Silverado within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hi, I am new to the forum but have been a Chevy Truck owner all my life. Have owned an ...

Question on bumper differences for Stepside vs. fleetside on 96 Silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hi,

I am new to the forum but have been a Chevy Truck owner all my life. Have owned an 89 Silverado since it was born, have a 99 Silverado extended cab, and just recently purchased a 96 Silverado to do some plowing with.

This is my first foray into the stepside world, and it needs a new rear bumper as the one on there now is rusty trash.

In looking for a new one (a used one in good condition), what are the differences between the bumpers off the fleetside trucks vs. the stepside ones.

I figured it shouldn't be different, but from what I have reading they are somewhat different.

Can I get one off a fleetside bed to put on my stepside truck, or does it have to be stepside specific if I want it to fit.

Needing a stepside specific one seems to limit my potential market, so anyone who has done this that can offer any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Re: Question on bumper differences for Stepside vs. fleetside on 96 Silverado

Fleetside bumper won't fit a stepside unless you're willing to chop it up. Not really an ideal situation. The stepside bumper has wider cuts in each end because the shape of the bed.

On the other hand, a stepside bumper will fit a fleetside, but with big ugly gaps at each end.

Richard

The piece that tucks under the tailgate is narrower on a stepside. Its not hard to trim. Fleetside bumpers are much easier to find and will fit a stepside with just some trimming.
    I carry because I'm too young to die, too old for a beating, and cops are too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bunyon View Post
    The piece that tucks under the tailgate is narrower on a stepside. Its not hard to trim. Fleetside bumpers are much easier to find and will fit a stepside with just some trimming.
    Thanks for the replies.

When you say trimming, how much exactly are we talking, and does it look ghetto when it's done if it's done correctly or can't you tell?

I am fairly comfortable with a cutting wheel and die grinder, but want to make sure it's something that can be done and look nice afterwords if done correctly.

Thanks.

Loves GMT400 haters someotherguy's Avatar

Again, it's really not an ideal situation. You'll be cutting several inches out of each side of the top plate of the bumper, and of the step pad. It's also a curved cut so you'll spend plenty of time with the die grinder shaping it. By the time it's all said and done you'll wish you had just bought the right bumper.

Richard

What did you come up with VMT7007? I've got the same situation with a 95. Just was curious. Where's the best place to pick one up if I go that route? I guess I'm really asking where's the cheapest you've seen? Thanks