GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Removing Tire pressure sensors

This is a discussion on Removing Tire pressure sensors within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I will be putting a new set of tires on my 2007 Silverado 2500HD. Can I remove the TPS monitors ...

Removing Tire pressure sensors

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I will be putting a new set of tires on my 2007 Silverado 2500HD. Can I remove the TPS monitors from the wheels and repalce with standard valve stems? Can I get the computer programed to eliminate the TPS light and warning on the DIC?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Removing Tire pressure sensors

yes you can use standard valve stems , but Ive looked at having my TPMS sensors removed and been told " no " cant be done. have several buddies that work at dealerships. Had something to do with a mandate on safety with them. If Im wrong "please" let me know so i can do it.....
    2009 Chevy Crew lowered 2/4,Smoked tails,6000k HIDS Lows & Fogs & Highs, 6-high Mod,Flowmater 40 series,other than that work in progress.....
    Tx CHL Instructor

Yes, you can remove them. Yes, you can put the sensors in different wheels if you want to. Yes, you can put standard stems back in your factory wheels. Yes, you can get a tune that will eliminate the low pressure light.

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

Quote Originally Posted by oneloudz71 View Post
    Yes, you can remove them. Yes, you can put the sensors in different wheels if you want to. Yes, you can put standard stems back in your factory wheels. Yes, you can get a tune that will eliminate the low pressure light.

Thought you couldnt , educate me please how to....
    Been wanting to do this also
    Last edited by garcia946; 04-07-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    2009 Chevy Crew lowered 2/4,Smoked tails,6000k HIDS Lows & Fogs & Highs, 6-high Mod,Flowmater 40 series,other than that work in progress.....
    Tx CHL Instructor

i could imagine black bear being able to do this shouldnt be unlike ignoring the o2s just gotta program in a false signal saying tires are full of air, not sure how it would be a safety issue to not have em in its not like it stops people from driving around with low tires

Quote Originally Posted by garcia946 View Post
    Thought you couldnt , educate me please how to....
    Been wanting to do this also
    How what? How to remove them? How to put them in different wheels? How to put standard stems back in? Or, how to get a custom EFI Live tune that will tell you computer that your tires always have "50" Psi so that the light never comes on?

2006 CCSB 1500~Pacesetter LT's and ORY~Borla XR-1/ Spintech 6000~Motive 4:88's~RC Leveling Kit~
    315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers,

World's Tallest Midget TheBigMortboski's Avatar

On a Chevy, you can just unscrew the sensor from the rubber valve stem and use the stock stem (this is, of course, done while the tire is off the wheel. Or, if you're feeling brave, you can break the front bead and hold the tire down, but if you drop the screw or the sensor, you've got to dismount it anyway).

However, if you do this, the light will be on. When I worked for the tire shop, we always got complaints about their lights on when they put their winter wheels on. Its just a fact of life unless you want to buy another set of sensors. Any dealership or tire shop cannot turn off the light. It is federally mandated (because, apparently, the average American is so stupid that they need to be saved from themselves), and is subject to fines if it is tampered with (kinda like removing a catalytic converter). The post from oneloudz71 is the first I've even heard of a tune that can turn it off.

Work Hard, Play Harder TheBigBlackHD's Avatar

Take the sensors and put them in the spare tire. I've heard of this done before, not sure how well it worked. Without the sensors, you will always have a TPMS light on. If you can deal with always seeing it then go for it. If it were me, I'd just put the sensors in the new wheels.

---MY BUILD THREAD---
    non timebo mala
    molon labe
    XBL Gamertag: C Vengence

I work at discount tire. All you have to do is put the sensors in the new wheels and we can reset the sensors to the new tire positions and make your light go off with a reset tool.