If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

02 Silverado rust repair

This is a discussion on 02 Silverado rust repair within the Exterior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; My 02 Silverado is rusting out, I need to replace both rocker panels and both cab corners. It is an ...

02 Silverado rust repair

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    My 02 Silverado is rusting out, I need to replace both rocker panels and both cab corners. It is an extended cab, what would be the best replacement panels to buy? And how much would it be to get them installed and painted? What all do I need to get it fixed? Thanks for your help

Re: 02 Silverado rust repair

any input

what about slip on rocker panels? how do those work?

FSC Midwest Chapter CountryChevy15's Avatar

Prices vary by location. I know its not cheap at all to have done at a body shop. I know i have had good luck looking at lmc for replacement sheetmetal.

BTW, hit up the badlands 2 thread in the events section. BS thread for fsc midwest. Im from champaign and work in gibson city so your rather local.

-2006 Crew Cab Chevrolet 1500-

Ya, I was planning on buying the replacement panels myself then take it to a body shop to have it put on. What body shop would give me the best price around here. I will check out that thread, LOL ya you are really local.

Drive hybrids-I need gas whiplash473's Avatar
    lmc truck......good fitment.....I'm in the middle of doing mine right now actually.....I'll give more info when I gotta few mins

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    1998 K1500 - 5.7 | 1994 Mustang - 5.0

When picking up a girl, the very first thing you ask is "hey, how's the relationship with your father?" If the response is anything but negative, move along.

Drive hybrids-I need gas whiplash473's Avatar
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/s...d.php?t=497844

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    1998 K1500 - 5.7 | 1994 Mustang - 5.0

When picking up a girl, the very first thing you ask is "hey, how's the relationship with your father?" If the response is anything but negative, move along.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by sstumpf View Post
    what about slip on rocker panels? how do those work?
    Don't do that. Have the old metal cut out and replaced. Do it right

More than likely one or two companies make the panels. Just pick a supplier you are happy with.
    Regarding cost, need to have someone look at it for an accurate estimate. MY GMC rockers and corners are gone as well
    Considering how well this truck was taken care of, it makes me a little sick that it rotted out like that.
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by sstumpf View Post
    Ya, I was planning on buying the replacement panels myself then take it to a body shop to have it put on. What body shop would give me the best price around here. I will check out that thread, LOL ya you are really local.
    Most shops won't do that. If there is a problem you could end up with some finger pointing. Just have one place get the parts and do everything
    2007 Trailblazer SS - Red Jewel
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD! - Mods // Michigan Classics // My Garage // My ebaY auctions
    Hot Rod Search

I talked to a body guy around my area. He had someone come in for similar and he was quoted about $4000 to do the work. My truck the rockers are toast drivers side is the worst. It needs the inner panel as well. I figured it'd cost me $6000 to fix it. Not going to do that as the truck would be worth that much in a year or 2. I'll just drive it the way it is.

+2 on shops not touching it. A lot of places don't do rust repair as people will always come back a year or two later with the same problem.

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71
    5.3L 4.10's G80

Wow, ya it doesn't sound like I will be getting that done then. The truck is barely worth $4,000. Well I know that multiple people said not to use slip on rockers but that might be my only option. I will be getting some of the truck painted this summer hopefully so what all would I have to do to use the slip on's.

What about something like this, would it cover up the rocker panel rust.
    http://www.autoanything.com/fender-f...A3228A0A0.aspx

This is what I found as far as the non-slip on rocker panels. I just need the outer's my inner's are not rusted. Maybe I can find somebody that would do it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120902560512...ht_1992wt_1185
    Last edited by sstumpf; 05-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Most shops don't want to touch this kind of job for a couple of reasons. I posted a thread in the bodywork and paint subforum about replacing my cab corners. I gave my thoughts on the job, the aftermarket parts, etc. In a nutshell, the amount of time the body shop will spend fitting and welding those aftermarket parts is going to leave you with a labor bill that would exceed the cost of new parts from GM. I spent 3 days just getting those cab corners fitted and welded. Then it took more time to get them filled and sanded to an acceptable shape. A lot of body shops guarantee their repairs for the life of the vehicle. So if a rust repair fails it's on them to repair it. Even if they give no warranty on rust repair, and it rusts again, it's still their reputation on the line. On mine, I still have to go back in with seam sealer and fill the seams on the back side so I don't have an issue with rust down the road.

A lot of shops that do collision and insurance repairs mainly work on newer vehicles. When a vehicle is 10+ years old, the rules are different than a vehicle that's only 2-3 years old. The old vehicle will be showing signs of age and mileage related deterioration. If a repair goes from the middle of the body, down to the rocker panel, on an old vehicle the bottom of the rocker will be so heavily chipped that it looks partially sandblasted. So that has to be rectified. On a newer vehicle with fewer miles, there my only be a few chips in the rocker panel. Old vehicles have old hardware that is rusty or brittle. It may break and require replacement which adds cost. Even worse is when a bolt breaks as it's being removed and then the tech has to stop and deal with it before moving on. Old vehicles have old paint that's probably faded. Panel blending is the norm for dealing with this. But the older the paint, the more faded it becomes, and the more difficult it is to get even a close match. And when you do get a close match, you've got to blend it out farther. A cab corner repair on a 10 year old truck will require the corner to be painted. Then they'll have to blend it in to the bed, the door, and possibly the fender. So even though they're not using a lot of paint (i.e. basecoat), they have to treat and prep the truck as though they're painting the whole side. So the moldings have to come off (and some must be replaced), the trim has to be removed, the bed has to be unbolted and moved back a few inches, the entire vehicle needs to be masked, etc. Once you factor in all the time and labor put into it, you can see why they charge so much, but are still reluctant to do the work due to the nature of rust, and the use of aftermarket parts. And how many guys who drive 10+ year old pick up trucks have that much cash on hand to drop on a repair like that? If you had a damaged cab corner or rocker panel on a 2-3 year old truck and it was an insurance repair, they'd take it in a heartbeat because they're using factory parts. There's no trimming, fitting, or welding long seams. There's just a lot of spot welds, some sealer, and maybe some structural adhesive. You may need a bit of body filler here or there because even factory parts might arrive with a few bumps and bruises. But you won't be using it to shape the body, just filling a few low spots. And the big factor at play: the person paying for the work is guaranteed to pay.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why rust was still an issue even as late as 2002. And whenever you have a vehicle where rust in a specific area is known to be a problem, it's a flaw in the design or the execution. The first time I saw a NBS truck with rusted cab corners, I was shocked. How could GM continue to ignore this issue? But then again, they see the vehicle as being 10 years old, and in the eyes of GM, it should have been removed from service at least 4-5 years ago anyway.
    Last edited by jhowell; 05-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Wow, I didn't know it took that much work just to replace cab corners. Well that sucks. So is there any other way I can make it look better than it is now, might not necessarily be the right way but at least it would look a little better. Im surprised they don't make some type of covers for the rocker panels, because it happens on a lot of truck from that era. I just hate that it has to look that way, because im trying to take care of the truck. Any other options at all. Or will it just have to be rusted out for the rest of the trucks life.

Does anybody know if there is a way to cover it up, maybe some kind of trim. I know its not the right way but It would be better than just looking at the rust, and the right way just wouldn't be worth the cost for a truck this old. Are there any other options at all.

anybody else.

I wouldn't cover it up might end up making it rust faster by trapping moisture and such
    2002 silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 5.3L

current mods -

Aftermarket speakers and aftermarket headunit
    Cree reverse light bulbs
    Custom flowmaster original 40 series exhaust
    Candied tails
    Blackbear Tune

Future
    Converted cluster bulbs to leds - only turn signals to go

Ya, it might. I really just dont know what to do at this point.

Most cost effective method is to just order all the parts (aftermarket) and start tearing into it yourself. Set aside a couple weekends. Find a buddy who knows body work and paint and go to him for help (be prepared to buy him some beer). You will need to buy or borrow a wire feed welder (cheap compared to taking the truck to a body shop). Sure, it might not turn out perfect but it's better than rust. Take your time and do some research. It's worth it if you want the truck to last awhile. I am in the middle of replacing one rocker and both cab corners on my 1993 extended cab Chevy. First time bodywork project for me.