If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2000 Silverado LS Rust on Cab Rockers

This is a discussion on 2000 Silverado LS Rust on Cab Rockers within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; I have a 2000 Silverado LS 2 wheel drive, 3 door model, one owner. Yesterday I noticed on the cab ...

2000 Silverado LS Rust on Cab Rockers

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have a 2000 Silverado LS 2 wheel drive, 3 door model, one owner. Yesterday I noticed on the cab rocker panels some rust bubbles. In looking at my warranty, it says rust is waranted for 100000 or 6 years which ever comes first. I have 100700 miles on my truck. What are the chances GM will take care of the problem?

Re: 2000 Silverado LS Rust on Cab Rockers

probably tell you its out of warranty.
    O2 GMC RCSB 4.8L V8 AUTO 3.73's
    rebuilt/beefed up 4L60E(at 43,000miles)
    Matching Ninja 500r

SORRY to hear that man, but I think warranty will be a no go... best best it go to a local body shop, and get a quote for repair.. your gonna want to take care of it if you are keeping the truck for a while... rust turns into a spreading nitemare good luck Spurgeon

1991 Silverado W/new 355 & custom 700r4
    !FOR SALE!

2004 Silverado Z71 ECSB

I have a 2004 with rust bubbles on the rockers. The dealer sanded it, then repainted. Rust is back after three months. Now I'm trying to get the panels totally replaced. I'm waiting on a response from GM rep.I have 72000 miles on mine. We shall see what happens. They did say the rust was do to a failure to properly place the rust prevention on the inside of the rocker panels.

All Fullsize gm trucks 88-07 have the common rust problems, under the doors, rockers, cab corners, i have it on my 99 OBS i am gettin all new rockers and lower door skins

1999 OBS GMC Sierra Classic ECSB 2wd-The Show Truck
    1999 OBS GMC Yukon 4dr 2wd-My Daily
    1990 OBS GMC Sierra ST RCSS 2wd-Pops Toy
    1997 OBS Chevy Silverado ECSB 2wd-Pops Daily

What's the cost for that?
    There will never be enough time untill there is no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon
    I have a 2000 Silverado LS 2 wheel drive, 3 door model, one owner. Yesterday I noticed on the cab rocker panels some rust bubbles. In looking at my warranty, it says rust is waranted for 100000 or 6 years which ever comes first. I have 100700 miles on my truck. What are the chances GM will take care of the problem?
    If you read the corrosion warranty, it's only covered if there is rust-through, ie actual holes. They won't do anything about it for you. The only way to fix it right is to have new metal put in...you can have it sanded, blasted, etc. and painted but it WILL come back.
    '01 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 LT Sunset Orange Metallic / Corsa / Goodmark Cowl Hood / Colormatched / '05 Tails / Tahoe Grill w/ Billet / Lowered 1.25"-2" / 22" 026s / 305-45 Kumho STXs

i think its covered uner the 100k warranty. Atleast i think it is on mine
    2004 SILVERADO 1500 5.3, 37X13.5 TOYO MT, 18X9 XD MONSTERS, 6K HIDS, CUSTOM TUNE, AFE CAI, 6" RCX, 3" BL, RCX KICKER BRACES, COGNITO PITMAN AND IDLER SUPPORT BRACKETS, COGNITO UCA, COGNITO LIMIT STRAPS, PROCOMP AAL, TRUETRAC, 4.88 GEARS

Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon
    I discovered the same thing on my 00 just the other day when I was doing some work and an oil change. So far only have a little bit of bubbling on the drivers side. My plan is to have a trusted auto body look at it and give me some options with prices. It is an area that we don't see and also a part that gets blasted with all sorts of road grime. Knowing that, I don't care if it doesn't look perfect after an auto body visit, I just want another 7 years or so of no body rust from the rocker area. I am hoping the auto body will be able to sand or sand blast the rust off and treat the areas with a good product that will prevent the spread of rust cancer, and coat everything with a color match base and a more durable clear coat. The paint in the rocker area seems thin on my truck and that may have allowed little rock chips to become a bigger problem.