GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Best way to paint aluminum dirt bike rims?

This is a discussion on Best way to paint aluminum dirt bike rims? within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; Well im wanting to paint the aluminum rims on my dirtbike black. Ive heard that paint doesnt stick to aluminum ...

Question Best way to paint aluminum dirt bike rims?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Well im wanting to paint the aluminum rims on my dirtbike black. Ive heard that paint doesnt stick to aluminum very well and that the paint will be all chipped off in a couple of rides. Is there some kind of primer i can pick up for cheap (not some expensive a** body shop stuff) that will make it stick better. I plan on using about 3 coats Rustoleum spray paint, and about 3 coats of rattle can clear. any tips or ideas to make the paint stay on better.
    thanks.

Oh and powder coating is out of the question, im broke lol.
    -2002 Chevy Silverado, LS, 4x4, - 16x10 Eagle 186 - 305-70-16 Mastercraft MT's - True Dual Straits w/ Magnaflow X-pipe - K&N 77 Series CAI, Ford Keys + 4" Block...sold
    -96 Sonoma with 4.3 liters of fury rolling on 15's

Re: Best way to paint aluminum dirt bike rims?

dont paint them have them powder coated... its not that expensive and it wont chip or fade from the sun and u can have them coated whatever color you desire.. althought if you decide to pc your rims you'll have to take your spokes off and then have the rims respoked when they're done... i race atvs and have everything on my pic pc'd

best option is powdercoating im afraid...

yeah i know i would love to have them powder coated but dont have the $$$ so i went ahead and painted them i used self etching primer, sanded it a little, then hit it with 3 coats of enamel paint. I know it probably wont hold up to well, but what hell..
    -2002 Chevy Silverado, LS, 4x4, - 16x10 Eagle 186 - 305-70-16 Mastercraft MT's - True Dual Straits w/ Magnaflow X-pipe - K&N 77 Series CAI, Ford Keys + 4" Block...sold
    -96 Sonoma with 4.3 liters of fury rolling on 15's

JB

It will hold up until you need to change a tire/tube
    2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 RCSB LT1, 2" level kit, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    1976 GMC Sierra Classic

powder coating is cheap and strong as hell
    BGD obs-no heater/AC, no radio, no CC, just a truck w/o exhaust and a really low chassis :head
    New ride:'06 silvy ecsb all black: 5.3LS motor project!!
    getting lifted and stuff, stereo when im not being lazy, and some go fast- lots of plans