If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

frame rust removal

This is a discussion on frame rust removal within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; so my 98 k1500 has a bit of rust on the frame. I tryed grinding four a half hour and ...

frame rust removal

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    so my 98 k1500 has a bit of rust on the frame. I tryed grinding four a half hour and it was slow going. just wondering if any one know a better easier of removing the rust.

the truck as been up north all of its life so its been in lots of snow and salt. the majority of the rust seams to be under the bed of the truck under the cab and the frount wheel well is not as bad

mostly its just for looks in the wheel wells and under the cab. where you see the frame. and of corse I will be repainting the frame when I'm done I dont want to remove the bed of the truck but I am thinking about it. I collect train horns and I will have to remove all my compressors, tanks and hoses to take off the bed.

this is in the left rear wheel well

Last edited by thepopeis1; 01-30-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    1998 GMC K1500 Z71 Flowmaster Super 40, E Fans, LMC Truck lighted front bumper.

Re: frame rust removal

Unless you want to strip it down to the frame and have it media blasted, settle in for a long haul grinding session.

Or:

you can clean it up as best you can and POR 15 paint it....
    Last edited by gr8twhite; 01-30-2010 at 10:46 AM.
    Detroit 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    400,000 kms and still rattling.....

yeah, you can wire wheel it, 3m makes a composite grinding wheel/disc you can get at wal-mart that works well with rust. try some different grinding pads and see what works the best then go for the por 15. yours is clean compared to my tahoe.

Midwest FSC Chapter!!

what about the product called rust reformer from rustoleum

the frame on my truck looks about like that and i was going to just use rust reformer and spray some either semi or flat black on top of that
    97 z71,3" body lift, tow mirrors, cranked and AAL, 35" KM2's, 4.56 gears w/lockright, 6k HID's, strobes/lightbar/leds
    06 2500hd 6.0 gasser, 4" lift, 37" Toyos on 20" rockstars, 20" lightbar behind grill, colormatching in progress

Quote Originally Posted by kiddcarbuff View Post
    yeah, you can wire wheel it, 3m makes a composite grinding wheel/disc you can get at wal-mart that works well with rust. try some different grinding pads and see what works the best then go for the por 15. yours is clean compared to my tahoe.
    ya I got a paint removal disk and it is working great also got a wire wheel but have not tried it yet. i can only get about 70% with a grinder. I tried navel jelly that seamed to eat up some rust but I cant do much with until that mid march because I need the hose pipe to wash it off and its around freezing in my garage and -8 out side right now. same with paint I will have to wait. also I should note im not driving my truck this winter. it just gives me something to do for now

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky3 View Post
    what about the product called rust reformer from rustoleum

the frame on my truck looks about like that and i was going to just use rust reformer and spray some either semi or flat black on top of that
    I was thinking about using that stuff on my rear diff (probably end up using por 15). I would at least get what rust u can get before painting (especially the loose stuff)

that por 15 seams to come highly recommended. lots of people talk about it on the forum

Habitual Troublemaker cancritter's Avatar

l had the luxury of this not being my daily driver so work when l can on it...paitience is a virtue

tools

pick a square inch and get started

undercoat

top coat
    Last edited by cancritter; 02-03-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    [Stole/FOUND 13/03/08 :O)
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    07/ 6.7 Cummins..truck included
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

[QUOTE=thepopeis1;4576488]
    Quote Originally Posted by cancritter View Post
    l had the luxury of this not being my daily driver so work when l can on it...paitience is a virtue
    thats amazing little more in depth than I wanted to go. I mostly just want my wheel wells and under the cab to be rust free. I plan on restoring this truck in a few years when im done with school and have the money

ya l hear you...woulda like to have sandblasted whole frame but alas that wasnt possible so di what l could over time...with a little work you can clean up the wheel wheels quite nicely with little paitience...would pick a wheel well and plan the weekend to work on it..give it a month and yer done or close to it...all them little things add up and before ya know it yer done...when lm buying a vehicle wheel wells and frame are first thing l look at...there always a good indicator how the truck has been looked after
    91GM 4x4 excb 5.7 @ 40 over, Westers,Eld 3704.Lunati Trickflow 195 @1.6 RR,Walpro 190/overbuilt 700r4 /TCS TC,4.10/tru trac,14 blt,Hooker LT,areofilter,Extreme TBI.MSD.AGR still adding
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

Hey cancritter what did you use for products? Undercoat and top coat? Thanks,

lt63

your bed supports look gone too. id just brush the loose stuff off and paint rustoleum on the frame and bed supports. then keep it sprayed down with wd40. the frame should be fine i mean its not just gunna rust away. the bed can be replaced when you restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastxcr View Post
    Hey cancritter what did you use for products? Undercoat and top coat? Thanks,
    Undercoat....Rustbullet....this stuff is awsome and is dam near bulletproof..l used the Automotive..spray or brush..l did brush due niehbour above garage
    http://www.rustbullet.com/

used thier Top coat for the black..is my only beef..little to shinney for me but its done...belive they have a satin which has a little less shine and more OEM look...either way..coat a frame with this stuff and its gona last a long time...get it on your hands and it'll be there for 1-2 weeks..never did find a solvent to remove it that wouldnt take skin with it..all in all very user friendly and have no quams about recomendin this stuff

various colors went with
    http://www.rustymetalpaint.com/
    wouldnt use on frame but is perfect for highlights ect..may take couple coats

silver undercoating pic was a little rough but was just one stage of many...since my truck was stolen and recovered it has been parked and worked on when l can..painting ect was done over the period of 8mnths so could go out and work on a particular area of the frame ect till i was pleased..bloody scrapein took me 3-4 mnths :O(...sandblasted rear half of frame and coated with rustbullet primer/topcoat..then hit it with undercoating..took me a day to do at local rent a blaster type deal
    Last edited by cancritter; 02-09-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    70 fury 3
    71 sport fury GT

i want to takel my rails this weekend. how hard is it to take off my bed? how do you get the stocl plastic bed liner out? i really want to take this all off to get all the rails and the rear diff. i have a 1998 chevy k1500.
    thanks dylan.
    DYLAN
    1998 Chevy K1500.
    Blue LED gage Mod.
    12" punch sub 500 watt mtx amp.
    2" 1/2 Cherrybomb Glasspack.
    1992 Nissan 240sx - forsale!

I Hate You All, Equally.

I don't have too much of a problem with rust around my area, but surface rust does develop. I just took a wire brush to mine to take off some of the flakes, then washed it down, then sprayed multiple thin layers of spray can paint to cover my nasty frame. It was nothing special, but with a proper rust coating paint (POR-15 et.al) you can get fairly good results with barely any work...relatively, i mean.

It's not gonna be perfect, but it would take a sharp eye to notice that it isn't so.
    Last edited by Koots; 03-09-2010 at 01:30 AM.

1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic-Future LSX Swap Recipient
    2002 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LT-Daily Driver
    1995 Corsica-Super-Sleeper in Progress

Use a needle scaler for anything heavier than surface rust. It'll beat the crap out of you for a whole frame but it's way cleaner than grinding and faster too. It's still hard to beat blasting but it's messy and very difficult unless the truck is frame off and bare. After scaling it use some phosphoric acid and a spot blaster to clean up areas where the scaler won't fit.

Is the 1st pictures surface rust that what mine looks like after 20 yrs in Florida
    90 1500
    95 metro
    97 niisan hardbody
    06 Harley VRSCR
    09 Fit (wifes)

JP

or you can use old motor oil it cleans up rust proofs the frame for about a year