***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Slip on replacement rocker panels

This is a discussion on Slip on replacement rocker panels within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; Has anyone tried using the slip on replacement panels for the rockers? My 2000 is completely rusted out. I have ...

Slip on replacement rocker panels

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Has anyone tried using the slip on replacement panels for the rockers? My 2000 is completely rusted out. I have cut out the old metal and I was thinking of just covering it up by riviting the covers on and painting it with Rhino bed liner. I do not mind a rugged look. Just wondering if anyone has done this with the slip ons. I am concerned that the oversize panels may interfere with the door???

Jer

Re: Slip on replacement rocker panels

link? i have no clue as to what you are talking about.

all i can say if they're not factory, you have about a 1/4" of play before it gets into the door. put oem ones in and be done.
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

I have always owned GM products, but I will not buy OEM parts from them because they charge crazy prices. The original OEM panel rusted out very quickly, so I would not want another one. Here is a link to slip on rocker panel,..http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=20
    See #5 at the bottom of the list. $99.00
    If I could get something that would work from GM at a reasonable price I would buy it. However I could buy two slip-ons for $200 and cover them with Rhino bed liner and I think I would have a repair that could last 10 years. Someone on this forum must have tried this approach???

Jer

its simply just a smaller replacement panel. weld it in and be done. if you're talking about patching whats there , putting it in and rhino lining it then that would work.....but you better be sure to cover everything and all spots including the backside and inside with the liner.

either the truck has been in some winter climates up north, or your area uses salt on the roads. i know if its not kept clean in the winter months, it will eat it away and you will have rot before you know it

dont be so quick to blame a company for doing a bad job on a panel. apparently they did something right because oddly enough, the cars that are exposed to long salty winter times are ones that typically rust out.
    Last edited by Jer; 07-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

i dont see a issue in doing it the way u want to but, by not replacing the old panel and just covering ti up it leaves room for moisture to collect and rust out the new one

Thanks for your thoughts.
    I am cutting out 90% of the metal and 100% of the rust. The replacement panel is big, 72" long and 5.5" wide. I plan to cement it in with the material that most body shops use.
    My main question: Will this oversized panel look good and fit nice at the ends. I think the only people that can answer this are the ones that have tried this slip on panel,......... http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=20

Jer

Bodywork is gonna have to be done regaurdless to make it look right.

I feel I can respond due to me doing this for a living

Bump.
    Anyone ever try these slip-on rocker panels?
    I need a fast fix to cover large rust holes in my rocker panels. I dont care if the seams are not perfect, I just want to make sure that they do not interfere with the door closing. Most seams should be invisible when the doors are closed. My truck is frequently on muddy roads and has a few dents (which look good and add character), so I do not need it to look pretty. I just need to know if the fit well enough to rivet then in without alot of work.

Bump - anyone try these?
    If not, guess I will try them and report on the quality of fit.

Beware The Evil CrankToe LOHRTBT's Avatar

Man I have been looking for EXACTLY this!! I need the same thing covered on mine. I figured a little seam at the ends is much better than the damn gaping holes that are there now! haha

Thanks for the link. I may just order them and give it a try. :)

Any update on this?

Arrow Re: Slip on replacement rocker panels

Quote Originally Posted by Hellga92 View Post
    Any update on this?
    The slip on rocker panels worked great! I ordered the panels for about $100 each from LMC, then removed the weather stripping and plastic around the door. I set the new panels over the old rusty panel and used a sharpie to outline the panel, then used a grinder with a cutting wheel to remove the old panels, but I left about 1" of metal around the edge. I sanded down the 1" area and applied panel bonding cement and held it in place with vice grips, then drilled and installed 1/8" pop rivets around the 1" edge. I used about 10 rivets on each panel and then applied automotive seam sealer around the edges, let it cure, then applied several coats of paint. The top rivets are hidden underneath the weatherstripping and the bottom rivets cannot be seen unless you get down under the truck. Toatal cost for new panels, glue, seam sealer and spray can paint was about $300
    I would take a picture, but there is nothing unusual to show you, because it looks just like it was when it was new. The doors also close just fine.
    I think this type of fix will last much longer than adding putty to holes. I do alot of off road 4wheelin that would shake the fillings out of your teeth, yet these panels and seam sealer show no signs of paint cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by gainesjs View Post
    The slip on rocker panels worked great! I ordered the panels for about $100 each from LMC, then removed the weather stripping and plastic around the door. I set the new panels over the old rusty panel and used a sharpie to outline the panel, then used a grinder with a cutting wheel to remove the old panels, but I left about 1" of metal around the edge. I sanded down the 1" area and applied panel bonding cement and held it in place with vice grips, then drilled and installed 1/8" pop rivets around the 1" edge. I used about 10 rivets on each panel and then applied automotive seam sealer around the edges, let it cure, then applied several coats of paint. The top rivets are hidden underneath the weatherstripping and the bottom rivets cannot be seen unless you get down under the truck. Toatal cost for new panels, glue, seam sealer and spray can paint was about $300
    I would take a picture, but there is nothing unusual to show you, because it looks just like it was when it was new. The doors also close just fine.
    I think this type of fix will last much longer than adding putty to holes. I do alot of off road 4wheelin that would shake the fillings out of your teeth, yet these panels and seam sealer show no signs of paint cracking.
    Thats awesome man i really have to do this. Do you have the webiste with the exact web page i couldnt find them on there. This is a must in the summer. without welding are they still strudy?

I put a link in this thread - looks like the slip on rocker panel is on page 28.
    Google automotive panel body cement to find a source of good cement and seam sealer. Welding the panels might be stonger, but I also think it could be ugly and begin to rust again on the inside as you often see on spot welds, because it burns off the protective paint sealer and cannot be repainted on the inside.
    I sure think that the cement and rivets will be strong enough, and much better than adding any body putty.

Quote Originally Posted by gainesjs View Post
    I put a link in this thread - looks like the slip on rocker panel is on page 28.
    Google automotive panel body cement to find a source of good cement and seam sealer. Welding the panels might be stonger, but I also think it could be ugly and begin to rust again on the inside as you often see on spot welds, because it burns off the protective paint sealer and cannot be repainted on the inside.
    I sure think that the cement and rivets will be strong enough, and much better than adding any body putty.
    thanks man i really appreciate it. I will try it and do it step by step taking pics. hope it comes out well

My truck also suffers from rocker panel cancer. 96 Ext cab, my LMC page is 21. What is the difference between outer rocker panels and slip on rocker panels. I like the idea of rivots and glue, but I feel to do it right I will have the weld them in. they use a lot of salt here in IL, and I want them sealed nice and tight. thanks

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=21

I wish gainesjs had posted pics on this..