If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

painting a few things on my truck

This is a discussion on painting a few things on my truck within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; hey guys im very new with painting stuff, only things ive painted on my truck were my rims and toolbox... ...

painting a few things on my truck

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    hey guys im very new with painting stuff, only things ive painted on my truck were my rims and toolbox...

i was looking at my truck the other day and ive wanted to paint the chrome peices on the outside like the grill, the bar thing with the bowtie, both bumpers, maybe that chrome peice that runs down the side..

if someone could just give me some advice how to do it and what to use would help alot..

also ive wanted to paint alot of stuff inside my truck like the dash, door panels, and was wondering how to do this and actully what all i can paint.. thanks in advance!

cranked torsion, 285 75 16 a/t terra grappler, window tint, 5k lows

Re: painting a few things on my truck

I painted the bumpers and grill on my 94 burban with bed liner.The front bumper is stylin but my grill not so good the first rain that hit got under it and started to make it peel like crazy.I'm gonna try using some stuff called plasti dip on the grill I've seen other people that have done it and looked pretty good.

oh okay thanks for the inbput

okay well pretty much bought everything today and was going to start sanding and whatnot... i painted two things but im kinda scared because it was night time and kinda cold... but i was so ready to see what it looked like i went for it.. ima take a picture in a little bit to see what it looks like.. hopefully they will turn out good!

okay it didnt turn out as good as i thought it would.. maybe i should do it during the day and sand it more -.- it also started to rain... ill make sure i take more time to paint the rest of the interior..

okay it didnt turn out as good as i thought it would.. maybe i should do it during the day and sand it more -.- it also started to rain... ill make sure i take more time to paint the rest of the interior..

Lost before Dawn CustomChevyGuy's Avatar

interested to see how it turns out.. are you trying to smooth the surface of the interior pieces, or leave them textured?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhookxen
    sometimes bad-assery takes time

71 Chevelle 454
    03 rcsb, 06 clip/tails, HD hood, 22's, Esky handles, Alpine head unit, 5% tint, clear corners, 8K HID's, FM50, 2" rear drop, debadged, BlackBear Tuned!

they are pretty much smooth.. i really didnt take alot of time in doing these and i will take alot more time doing the other peices since these dont really show anyways... kinda just wanted to see how the color came out.. i used a 80 grit to sand them for a while then cleaned with purple power to get the grease off then applied primer then used a like 320 grit to smooth it out then applied the color..

the right one looks like i put more coats on it honestly... and i like the color of the green one so tomorrow if it isnt raining i might apply another coat to the left and just see..

Sand with 400-600 and scuff the tighter areas with a red scotch brite pad. Apply adhesion promoter. Seal it with some primer (I use epoxy), then apply your top coat (base coat / clear or single stage urethane).
    2012 Sierra Denali AWD... mods to come!
    2009 Yukon (hers) 24" U2 55's

alright ill try that on my other peices.. thanks yall

i got a couple questions..

when im painting what will get the scratches out from the rough grit paper.. would it be the higher grit paper like 600? cause thats really my only problem.. should i prime then use 600 grit paper then prime again then spray paint?

You can do that, but if there's no damage that you're trying to repair it's not necessary. I just sand with 600 & a red scotch brite pad, apply adhesion promoter, seal it with primer then apply the color and clear. You don't want to build up any more material than necessary because it will chip more easily with a lot of paint built up. I did this one with that method:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/kstompaint/misc/
    2012 Sierra Denali AWD... mods to come!
    2009 Yukon (hers) 24" U2 55's

well first i use 60 grit to get the plastic texture off of it then i have to get all the scratches off.. so i should use 600?
    Last edited by carterboy; 01-06-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Jer

60 is way to course for sanding the plastics. sand with 180-220 to remove about half the texture. clean, spray your adhesion promotor, then prime. sand your primer with 400. re-A.P. and prime if needed. final sand with 600-800. seal, base, clear.
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

i never bought adhension promoter and my thing came out pretty good that i did today.. but i bought some 600 grit to do once i prime sand prime.. will start sanding everything else hopefully tomorrow.

Jer

Quote Originally Posted by carterboy View Post
    i never bought adhension promoter and my thing came out pretty good that i did today.. but i bought some 600 grit to do once i prime sand prime.. will start sanding everything else hopefully tomorrow.
    you're right. i have no clue as to what im talking about
    Last edited by Jer; 01-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
    "In our darkest hour...we look to the sky. With a silent prayer...BELIEVE God's on our side. In the land where FREEDOM reigns...and where eagles fly."

lol jer did you ever get rid of that brush guard off that burnt truck? and also i just finished painting all of it and letting it dry.. should have all installed in about 1 hr and will post pictures! they look alright so far!

okay well finally finished for the most part... i still have to paint the glove box and the peice under the steering wheel

i had a question.. if i changed my middle seat and bought a middle console, ive seen that most of them come with a glove box so i was wondering if when i bought the middle console would i have to replace the glove box cause if so i wont paint it and just sell it with the middle seat if i get one with the console.. here are pictures of the final product.

Jer

yes it got sold. couple weeks ago i think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast