GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Pull out dent... or replace bedside panel... or replace whole bed???

This is a discussion on Pull out dent... or replace bedside panel... or replace whole bed??? within the Body Work & Paint Shop forums, part of the Exterior Tech category; I have an '05 Silverado 1500 with a large... okay a HUGE dent that covers a large area of the ...

Pull out dent... or replace bedside panel... or replace whole bed???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have an '05 Silverado 1500 with a large... okay a HUGE dent that covers a large area of the bed, passenger side, from a few inches behind the cab almost to the the wheel-well. The truck has high mileage and is far from cosmetically perfect... but I would like to have this repaired. Unfortunately I can't afford to spend a ton. What are my options? What makes the most sense? And what do you all think it's going to cost me??? (BTW, I'm located in Oklahoma City if you're close and looking for some side work!!!) :)
    Thanks in advance, and GREAT SITE!
    Bob

Formerly White_Stealth Stealth HD's Avatar

Re: Pull out dent... or replace bedside panel... or replace whole bed???

Hmm, got a photobucket account? PM me pics, and I'll see if I can help you out.

A new or used bedside is in the neighborhood of $400-$600 iicr (then you've still gotta cut the old off and weld the new on) and beds are going upwards of $1,900.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth HD View Post
    beds are going upwards of $1,900.
    WHaaa? Maybe for a brand new one. On a high mileage truck, the easiest option if you're doing it yourself is to find a used bed locally imo. Repairing the dent or replacing the bed side would be way more work than just swapping beds.
    98 Chevy RCLB K1500, 5.7, 4L60E transgo shift kit, vette servo, 14 Bolt SF, 3.73s, Blackbear 89 tune

Make your own dent puller . Tack weld half chain loops onto the side and slowly pull the section back into line . It will need bondo and paint when it's done but no where near as much as when it was dented .

Dent pullers are made using a section of 3/4" all thread about 2' long . A 10" section of heavy wall pipe with an ID of 3/4" . A sturdy steel hook welded onto the front end and a few 3/4 washers & nuts . I made my last one for under $10 . The loops to weld onto the sheetmetal I made out of an old length of chain I had floating around . Strip the paint were you want to tack weld the loops , tack weld these carefully on and be careful not to burn through . Using the dent puller (also known as a slide hammer) slam the sliding sleeve backwards . This will pull the dent . Work it along the area doing a few pulls on each area . This if done right will ease the dent out to the point were you can bondo it . There are several good videos on Youtube about it also

Formerly White_Stealth Stealth HD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mainechev View Post
    WHaaa? Maybe for a brand new one. On a high mileage truck, the easiest option if you're doing it yourself is to find a used bed locally imo. Repairing the dent or replacing the bed side would be way more work than just swapping beds.
    I'm local to him, that is what a used bed goes for 99-06 trucks from yards around here. If you're lucky you can find one for around $1K, but they dissappear fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth HD View Post
    I'm local to him, that is what a used bed goes for 99-06 trucks from yards around here. If you're lucky you can find one for around $1K, but they dissappear fast.
    Damn. I see them all the time on craigslist around here for 500-600 bucks
    98 Chevy RCLB K1500, 5.7, 4L60E transgo shift kit, vette servo, 14 Bolt SF, 3.73s, Blackbear 89 tune

Yeah, I did a little searching and beds are EXPENSIVE around here. I'm liking the whole "pull the dent out, bondo it and paint it" idea!!!

Stealth, I just sent you a PM... Thanks!

I used a pic of the dent as my avitar... let's see if it shows up...

Nope... it's in my profile but isn't posting???

Hey doc, you start by putting a deflated basketball up there and then filling it up start at the top of the dent and work your way along the edges and then down to bottom. you will need to fab a house with a bleader on it to re deflate ball, but this should get most of the dent out for you. then a little more bondo work and paint should fix it good as new. the other things you can do is heat up the panel with a good heat gun in the area you will place ball first. this will aid in the panel staying in place once it pops back out.

i got my bed side pulled out and it u cant tell it ever happened , my uncle did it he charged 1400 for everything paint trim everything ,and my dent was from front of the bed to mid finder.IF u get a new bed u got pay that 1900 plus paint and trim and labor, so would get used bed or get it pulled out.

Cant really tell without pics...I'd take it to a body guy for an estimate, ask them what they think you should do; What they would do.

I'm in the middle of a situation like this. I have a hole in the side of my 01 that you could fit your head in. Strange spot above the gas tank. Anyway, every shop i went to didn't want anything to do with my rust bucket. On a whim i called Benwood auto yard up here in Baldwinsville NY and they have 3 or 4 beds for sale. I got a perfect (same color) bed for $400 plus tax. they had a few other in that price range. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one somewhere around there for that price...or somewhere else and have it shipped or take a drive to get it. Just my 2 cents.