***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

cracked dash

This is a discussion on cracked dash within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; On a '92 Chevy 1500, the dash has 3 cracks close together about an inch long at the corner of ...

cracked dash

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    On a '92 Chevy 1500, the dash has 3 cracks close together about an inch long at the corner of the speaker grill on the corner away from the windshield and drivers window. Any way to 'fix' this besides replacing whole dash? Any ideas?

Re: cracked dash

I also had cracks in my dash and tried to repair them with the Permatex Dashboard repair kit but, it didn't come out too well. I purchased the dash board mat at autozone. It covers the entire dash and is custome made to fit your dash in the color of your interior.

lol, fiberglass? I'm sure there are some kinds of kits though
    Grunmn

has anybody ever heard of a putty fo even using a sodering iron and 'glueing' the cracks back together on the underneath dise of the dash? If this problem can't be fixed, anyone know of a reliable source to purchase a new dash? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paw paw
    has anybody ever heard of a putty fo even using a sodering iron and 'glueing' the cracks back together on the underneath dise of the dash? If this problem can't be fixed, anyone know of a reliable source to purchase a new dash? thanks

I have weled plastic and there are kits available from Eastwood. Let me know if you need a link. The kits run around $300. You can weld it up but think about this. The dash is old. You will weld up those cracks and it just may crack again in a different location. If I was you and you were going to keep the truck I would change out the dash. Just my thoughts.

Personal Responsibility GO GET SOME!

Quote Originally Posted by paw paw
    check out ckresto.com
    they have just about EVERY part for older model trucks. even that dash piece, and its only $80

*edit* my mistake....its $104.95
    Last edited by seth350; 02-19-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    04' Silverado 2500 Crew Cab
    6" Pro Comp Lift
    35" Toyo M/Ts
    18x10 Mazzi Hulks

Yeah I thought that dash piece was cheap and easy to change.. $100 is cheap to completely replace the top of the dash...
    1994 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 1500 Z71 4x4, 5.7L V-8, - Restored and Better than Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mike94silverado
    Yeah I thought that dash piece was cheap and easy to change.. $100 is cheap to completely replace the top of the dash...

Obviously you have done this before? What did you use or how did you paint the dash?