If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

HVAC control issues w/ 1996 Silverado

This is a discussion on HVAC control issues w/ 1996 Silverado within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; [duplicated from last post: A "local" junkyard has a 1995 Cheyenne. Does anyone know if the climate control / HVAC ...

updated: HVAC control issues w/ 1996 Silverado

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    [duplicated from last post: A "local" junkyard has a 1995 Cheyenne. Does anyone know if the climate control / HVAC control unit in these two are interchangeable? They seem like they would be. They open at noon today, so I thought I'd go out and see. Of course, that's 40mi one way, so if anyone knows one way or the other, I'd be mighty appreciative. Thanks in advance.]

OK folks....... first post here. A guy on another forum I belong to pointed me here:
    "check out www.fullsizechevy.com ----They'll answer every question you'll ever have about fullsize chevy's"

I used the search function, and came up with a few threads that might be appropos:
    um, wtf just happened?
    Heater/AC control problems
    92 HVAC problems
    HVAC going wacky
    Recirculate forces A/C on
    HVAC Controls

Still, I'm not 100% sure. Here's my pic from the other forum:

About two months ago, I first noticed a "short-like" behavior with the in-dash climate control unit. The fan speed (left-most knob) would "cycle" between "HI" and "MED-HI" with no help whatsoever from me. I would jiggle the fan speed selector knob, and it would settle down. This happened about five or six times.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. Since it is just recently "not winter" here, my truck's vents? [whatever the right-most knob is called] selector was still on defrost. Two weeks ago, it became "not winter" or "no longer winter," which in Texas (even this far north) is called "summer". I felt (i.e. heat+sweat) a need to switch it to "forward air" (where the dash vents blow directly on you), the position that the right-most knob is currently in.

However, my HVAC unit had another idea. It decided that I didn't know what the heck I was talking about, and decided to leave the unit on "defrost" (thereby blowing all my precious cold air out the top of the dash, instead of in my face).

At this point, all of my HVAC woes seem to be limited to the in-dash climate control unit........ can I get away with just replacing this, or does someone hear bigger problems?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wise_jake; 04-22-2006 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Updated: see last post

Re: HVAC control issues w/ 1996 Silverado

same thing happened to mine twice. if you take it out and look at the flexible circuit board on the back you'll find fried circuits. go down to the dealer and pay the $140, junk yard, or try ebay to get another hvac control. Solved my problem.
    Last edited by Grunmn; 04-16-2006 at 04:37 PM.
    Grunmn

Quote Originally Posted by Grunmn
    same thing happened to mine twice. if you take it out and look at the flexible circuit board on the back you'll find fried circuits. go down to the dealer and pay the $140, junk yard, or try ebay to get another hvac control. Solved my problem.
    Thanks. I figured as much, but this really isn't my area of expertise. Nice to hear from someone who has BTDT.

On a related note, any idea if this is because it gets so danged hot in there (the climate control / car audio area)? I swear, back when I had my factory tape deck, I'd pull a cassette out and it'd be like "Hot potato, hot potato." Now with my CD player, it's pretty much the same. And the buttons get really hot, too. If not for my calluses, one of the buttons would've burned me tonight.

A couple more questions, if you or someone else has the time: About how much should I expect to pay for this at an "average" junkyard? And for the yards with computerized parts lookup, what would you call this: "climate control with circuit board assembly"? I looked for it on a couple parts websites, and I couldn't find it under "Interior" or "Heating and Air". How would this part be classified, if I had to look for it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by wise_jake
    Thanks. I figured as much, but this really isn't my area of expertise. Nice to hear from someone who has BTDT.

On a related note, any idea if this is because it gets so danged hot in there (the climate control / car audio area)? I swear, back when I had my factory tape deck, I'd pull a cassette out and it'd be like "Hot potato, hot potato." Now with my CD player, it's pretty much the same. And the buttons get really hot, too. If not for my calluses, one of the buttons would've burned me tonight.

A couple more questions, if you or someone else has the time: About how much should I expect to pay for this at an "average" junkyard? And for the yards with computerized parts lookup, what would you call this: "climate control with circuit board assembly"? I looked for it on a couple parts websites, and I couldn't find it under "Interior" or "Heating and Air". How would this part be classified, if I had to look for it that way?
    well mine at the dealer was about $140 or so... you can find them on ebay from anywhere to $30-$100. I don't know what a junkyard would charge
    Grunmn

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...CINT~CSWITCHES

check out the link above.They use to be CKResto. just scroll around until you find your switch panel. Hope it helps some what. Don't know if the price range is what you want though. Had to replace mine awhile back, "it wanted to turn on by itself when it wanted to". I ended up using an AC Delco unit from a parts store.

A "local" junkyard has a 1995 Cheyenne. Does anyone know if the climate control / HVAC control unit in these two are interchangeable? They seem like they would be. They open at noon today, so I thought I'd go out and see. Of course, that's 40mi one way, so if anyone knows one way or the other, I'd be mighty appreciative. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wise_jake; 04-22-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Well, just got back from the junkyard. The unit from the 1995 Cheyenne certainly *looked* the same, on the outside. The only difference I saw was that the two buttons (between each of the knobs) came out about twice as far as the buttons on my 1996 Silverado when they were in the "unpressed" position.

I'd presently be doing a write-up as to whether the unit would swap correctly or not, but I don't have it. The owner was not there (and could not be contacted), and since they had never sold one of those parts before, they did not know how much they should sell it to me for (without asking the owner).

When I asked (politely) why they didn't tell me that when I called out there *before* driving the 40mi, they said that they thought I was talking about a different part -- one I'm assuming they knew the price for.

So, I guess the question still stands: Does anyone know if the climate control unit from a 1995 Cheyenne will swap for the climate control unit in a 1996 Silverado? I'm going to literally put my money on "yes," but I won't be able to see for sure until at least Tuesday (when the owner will return).

When I see them on ebay they specify 96-98 and 88-94 and 95 only.

I don't think it will work.

Also, reading your other posts in this thread.....

this seams to be a common thing and everyone that has fixed the problem says the plastic piece along w/ the harness clip seams to ge a little melted causing the problem

Also, I have'nt had this problem yet (knocking on wood) but for what it's worth my radio buttons get pretty hot also. However, my tapes or CD's dont. Just some food for thought.
    2015 Carlisle All Truck Nats info..
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/o...t-7th-9th.html

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    When I see them on ebay they specify 96-98 and 88-94 and 95 only.
    Thanks. My wife's uncle (who is the srvc mgr at a large dealership) has been out of the country on vacation. I'm sure he appreciates me asking someone *else* this bullschtuff for a change. :-D