If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

leak from under passenger side of dash? obs

This is a discussion on leak from under passenger side of dash? obs within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; ok i know this has come up a few times, i dont know if there was ever a fix though? ...

formerly 9in4x4

leak from under passenger side of dash? obs

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    ok i know this has come up a few times, i dont know if there was ever a fix though? whenever my truck gets wet constantly (lots of rinsing from washing, rain, etc) after awhile water will leak from under the dash onto my passenger side floor mat. luckily i have some husky mats which catch a lot of the water, but even after just washing my truck i need to take the mat out carefully and dumb the water out. after last nights constant but not excessively heavy rain, my mat was just barely overflowing even after i had placed a large hand towel in the mat to try and soak up the water.....not good.

it seems it has gotten worse with time but im not really sure. was there ever a fix for this? i was told it was something to do with the a/c condensor or something like that i really have no idea? if its gotten wet and i flick the heat or a/c blower on, so water with immediately drizzle out.

any thoughts? i would really prefer to avoid water damage in my cab

it aint workin' boss. willinthe985's Avatar

Re: leak from under passenger side of dash? obs

vynil floors, i just wipe it off after. I'd like to know a real fix though. My girlfriend's neon does it too, but way worse. I was sitting in the car when it did it once and got my shoes full of water, it came out so fast.
    Last edited by willinthe985; 01-04-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    96' GMC Sierra: 4/6 drop

Make sure the drain for the a/c evaporator (i think thats the one) is clean, mine had a bunch of leaves and such in it...
    98 C1500 EC Step Side: 350, DI/DO Magnaflow, K&N filter, 3.73's, 33x10.50, 15" Cragar V-5, 4" susp. lift, 1" body lift, red top, big 3, rollnlock, halo head lights, clear corners, black tails, cb/pa, light bar

formerly 9in4x4

how do i go about cleaning that vent? fairly simple ?

Pop the hood and look under the heater hoses were they go to the firewall and you'll find a little rubber elbow pointing down and thats the AC drain. Also the HVAC gets its fresh air from the far right side of the cowl. Typically the cab structure and general location of the vent prevent water getting in but if you are a hardcore truck washer I don't doubt that it could get some water down in there. If the drain is clear any water getting in should drain right out though.
    1995 Silverado - ported vortec heads, 4L80E, efans, LT4 Hot Cam, Rear disc brake conversion w/drilled and slotted rotors
    1999 NBS Silverdo - transgo HD2 shift kit, 3 inch dynomax ultra flow, Ford keys and 305/70-16 Mickey ATZs

iv got the same problem but mine only dose it when it rains and it not a lot of water just kinda drips iv look and still ant found were its come from

I have the same problem. Took out my fan under the dash and behind the fresh air door(need to have key on to actuate)there is a seal that seals the ductwork to the body that got rotten and soft and leaks only when it rains or vehicle wash.I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet cause it looks to me like you have to remove nearly the whole dash to get to it.

Remove your wiper arms and the slotted plastic cowl. Use silicon caulk around the screw heads you'll find under there. They leak all the time.

I have the same problem with my Tahoe. I just looked at it tonight and if I remember correcty from fixing my friends Tahoe about 3-4 years ago gofast51 is right about where the leak is coming from but you can get to it from the top. I just took my cowl off tonight and I should be fixing it in a day or so and I will post some pics showing what I mean about fixing it from the top without taking the whole AC box out.
    Last edited by fire730; 01-30-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    2001 Mustang BULLITT - DHG #01737 www.imboc.com
    2004 Yukon XL - My Daily - 06 Silvy FR clip - Tahoe 20s - 2/3 drop
    2007 Tahoe LT - Wife's Daily - Silverado VHO 20s
    1993 Integra - Solo2 - www.delta-scca.org

My wife says I am too old to still be playing with cars and trucks.

yes do post pics. this seems to be a very common problem.

I am going to put it in a seperate post with the pics so if the mods want to make it a sticky it will be more compact.
    2001 Mustang BULLITT - DHG #01737 www.imboc.com
    2004 Yukon XL - My Daily - 06 Silvy FR clip - Tahoe 20s - 2/3 drop
    2007 Tahoe LT - Wife's Daily - Silverado VHO 20s
    1993 Integra - Solo2 - www.delta-scca.org

My wife says I am too old to still be playing with cars and trucks.

yea my buddies '96 had the same trouble and we just took all the screws out of the plastic cowl vents and siliconed them...stopped the leak immediately

95 C-1500 Ext. Silverado Bigg G's Avatar

Make sure the long rubber seal that goes from fender to fender just below your wiper cowl is in place correctly.

Silicone the screw heads in the plastic cowl vent.

Same problem here. If I have time I'm going to pull mine apart today to have a look at it.

this is what my damn tahoe is doing... It just started THE DAY I was showing it to someone with cash in hand and they walked away like it was plague... ERR!!!!!!!

1997 K1500-5.7L-Duals-AEM Brute force-Upgraded ign sys.-Detroit Trutrac, COOPER STT 285, 3:42's DVD player HU, KX1200.1, 2 kicker 10" L7's, Polk Components, TYC HID's, Shiftkit Built Trny
    2001 Camaro Z28 lotsa goodies-Mid 12's.