GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Heated seats not working

This is a discussion on Heated seats not working within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have read a lot on this issue, and can't get a good response. Driver seat htr shuts off. Pass. ...

Heated seats not working

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have read a lot on this issue, and can't get a good response. Driver seat htr shuts off. Pass. works fine. Replaced heating element on driver bottom seat. It does look bad. I felt good, put all back together and turned on switch and heater/switched clicked right back off!!!!

Anybody have any further information on what else to check??? I am now going to check door switch.

thanks barn dog

03 Suburban
    Last edited by barney68105; 10-11-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Re: Heated seats not working

it might be the heating element on the back rest part of the seat. I believe that each seat has two elements. I had the same problem a few years back, when the truck was still under warranty, and the dealership told me that they replaced both elements. My switch would do the same thing...i would turn the seat on and then it would shut off. I doubt it is the switch...good luck, Jake

03 Suburban heated seats

If I unplug the back heating element on the seat, will the bottom element work? Can I test the back heating element with a omh meter? I am still trying to find out why the heated seats keep clicking off after just seconds.

barney

Quote Originally Posted by barney68105 View Post
    03 Suburban heated seats

If I unplug the back heating element on the seat, will the bottom element work? Can I test the back heating element with a omh meter? I am still trying to find out why the heated seats keep clicking off after just seconds.

barney
    you should be able to check the element with an OHM meter...i don't know what the resistance should be, though. You could check and see if the meter reads "OL" for open line or something equivalent(sp?). That would at least tell you that you don't have a complete circuit through the element. How hard is it to get the the electrical connector for the heating element? I might be able to put a meter on mine and see what the resistance is, or maybe someone can chime in and let you know what the correct OHM reading should be for a properly working seat. I think when the dealership repaired mine they had an "outside" guy come in and fix it, I don't believe it was a GM Tech...let me know, Jake

I have the exact same problem on my '04 silverado. The light on the switch will stay on for about 6 seconds and then shut off. I was guessing it could maybe be a fuse problem? could that be possible? The heating elements will warm up, however, if i continue to push the button once it turns off.

Quote Originally Posted by 04S1LVERADO View Post
    I have the exact same problem on my '04 silverado. The light on the switch will stay on for about 6 seconds and then shut off. I was guessing it could maybe be a fuse problem? could that be possible? The heating elements will warm up, however, if i continue to push the button once it turns off.

that's is exactly what mine did before the dealersip fixed it...

Big Dreamer, Small Bank

I had this happen twice to my 04. Both times under warranty though thankfully.

Here is what my work order from the first time says...

"Verified (I explained to them my issue which is written above this). Has code B2425 (there was no engine light but still threw a code) for drivers side heated seat. daig and found high resistance in drivers seat back cushion."

I never got the work order for the second time cause the old man picked it up for me and did some thing with it.
    Last edited by hick; 10-13-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macedawg View Post
    well it was probably Toyota North America that decided on that cheap and easy fix..i bet that sh!t wouldnt fly in Japan
    1980 "Avalanche", 4x4, "Custom 3 Tone Paint", 350ci, highschool shop project...
    Click For Build thread

Same problem but on a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500. Lights will flicker on when pressing the buttons, but will not stay lit nor will the heaters come on. This happens on both sides (DS & PS). This happened before but then they started working again. And now, they are back to the not-working mode.

I have checked the wires under the seat (from what I can see), and can't see any signs of a short or a disconnect.

Any ideas??

I am having this same problem, any updates?

Did any of you find a solution?
    My seats quit working too..I've been digging through the boards, but I can't find anything.
    -Tommy

'05 Crew Cab
    - 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    - 6" Superlift FIT kit
    - 4.10s
    - Cognito Heim Joint Style Tie Rods and pitman/idler brackets (a must!)
    - Black Bear tune (a must!)

I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Need to resurrect this one again. I posted on another area, but I have an 02 Silverado that the Driver seat heater won't shut off. The switch works fine and will stay on, but I have no control over switching it on to hi, lo or off. It gets really hot. This issue started back in 08, but I just unplugged it. FYI, the 02 trucks only had the lower back heaters. I plugged it back up last night to see if it mysteriously solved itself, but no. I don't think it's on when the truck is off, but I am not 100% on that. I can test that later today when I get home. If anyone else has had this issue, please speak up. If not, i guess I'll be removing the seat this weekend to access the relays underneath and test them out.
    Brian Ardis
    President, Lowcountry Jeep Club

- 2002 Silverado 1500HD LT 2WD
    - 1976 Jeep CJ-7

Exact problem on my 04 as said by op

I have a '05 1500 Silverado and the driver side seat won't heat up. Passenger side is working. My truck has a toggle switch (only options = on/off). When the switch in the ''on" position the switch has a red light which lights up in the "on" position. From the posts above I’m assuming my next course of action is to remove the seat and evaluate the wiring and/or replace the heating element. I will update the post if I can provide any additional information.

Wanted to post some helpful links (can't hyperlink since I don't have enough posts) and information I found which might relate to our discussion. Hope this helps increase the effectiveness of this post in our forum.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    from the GM-truck fourm --
    usely the the heated element in the seat grounds out, but also seen the module been the problem. here is bull on the module about updating the software

#05-08-50-008: Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module) - (Aug 19, 2005)

Subject: Intermittent Heated Seats Inoperative, DTC B3941 Set (Reprogram Driver Seat Module)

Models: 2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2003-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2003-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali
    All with Seat FRT, Individual (Non BKT) (RPO AN3)
    2003-2005 HUMMER H2 with Seat, Front Bucket Deluxe (RPO AR9)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Condition
    Some customers may comment that occasionally the seat heater will not operate when activated. If the ignition key is cycled OFF and back ON again, the heated seat will operate correctly. Also, on some LB7 diesel engine vehicles, the seat heater may turn itself off during the first 10 minutes of operation. This occurs only with the first activation for the day and works correctly with subsequent activations immediately after the event. These conditions are intermittent and DTC B3941 may be set.

Correction
    Technicians are to reprogram the driver seat module with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 6.5 available June 13, 2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2 is updated with the latest software version.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    From justautorepair.com - Heated seat problem on my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado.
    5.3 v8 Vortec.
    Code B2425.
    Work done to repair this problem = driver seat module, driver door module, driver heat switch, driver whole seat swapped with a known good seat, body harness that goes to both driver and passenger seat, passenger bottom cushion and back heater element, passenger heat switch, replaced seat heater circuit breaker by the brake pedal also reprogrammed driver seat module, driver door module, PCM , BCM.
    Question I HAVE HAD A HEADACHE WITH THIS TRUCK ALREADY,,, I GOT A B2425 CODE WHICH IS LEFT FRONT SEAT HEATER CIRCUIT. I CAN PUSH THE DRIVER SEAT HEATER AND SOMETIMES IT WILL STAY ON FOR A LITTLE BIT AND SOMETIMES I CAN PUSH IT AND IT WILL TURN OFF RIGHT AWAY,,,BUT THE WEIRD THING IS I THINK THE PASSENGER SIDE WILL STAY ON ALL THE TIME TILL U HIT THE DRIVER SIDE,,,AND THE OTHER WAY ALSO WHEN U HAVE THE DRIVER SIDE ON AN GO TO PUSH THE PASSENGER SOMETIMES IT WILL KICK OFF...IS THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS U MIGHT HELP ME OUT WITH??

Since you have replaced all these parts already, and i assume the modules programmed with the latest software, then i think this bulletin may help...

Condition/Concern:
    Driver and passenger heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds. There will be DTC B2435, B2440, B3606 and/or B1825 set in the Drivers Seat Module. The adjustable pedal position sensor, seat recliner position sensor and both heat seat thermistors share the same 5 volt reference internal to the Drivers Seat Module. A fault in any of these components/circuits can make the heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds, as well as, the seat recliner and/or adjustment pedals may move in short increments when operated. A fault in heated seats, adjustable pedal or seat recliner will affect BOTH heated seats.
    Note:: Even if the vehicle is not equipped with adjustable pedals DTC B3606 still may set.
    Recommendation/Instructions:
    To help isolate the area of concern use the Tech 2 and go to "Sensor Data" in the Drivers Seat Module. Monitor the following parameters for being out of range:
    Recline Position- Normal range .39V-4.58V
    Pedal Position (if equipped) - Normal range .39V-4.58V
    Passenger. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V
    Driver. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V
    If a parameter is found to be out of range inspect circuits for any opens, shorts to ground, or voltage. If none found replace the suspect component.
    Please be aware of the following common areas of concern:
    The adjustable pedal position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the adjustable pedal position sensor and see if the heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.
    Note Important:: The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor is NOT the adjustable pedal position sensor. Make sure the correct sensor, adjustable pedal position sensor, is disconnected.
    The seat recliner position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the recliner position sensor and see if heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.

so is it the module or the actual heater in the seat?

I have the same problem on my '06. driver side heated switch will stay on for only a couple seconds on any of the 3 heat settings.

1998 ECSB Chevy Z71, DUALS, K&N, 6" RCD, AAL, Atlas 16x8, 315's Toyo M/T's**STOLEN AND BURNED**
    2006 GMC CCSB, bone stock at the moment- Soon to be Lifted**NEW RIDE**