***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

2002 Silverado 2500HD Gauge Cluster Dash Problems. Driving me nuts.

This is a discussion on 2002 Silverado 2500HD Gauge Cluster Dash Problems. Driving me nuts. within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I have searched here and on google without really finding an answer. About 6 months ago my dash starting acting ...

2002 Silverado 2500HD Gauge Cluster Dash Problems. Driving me nuts.

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I have searched here and on google without really finding an answer.
    About 6 months ago my dash starting acting up. The red battery light came on in the "message center", the temp gauge goes down and the PRND / Odometer lights go out.
    For no rhyme or reason it will come back on and go back out. Bumps have nothing to do with it. Sometimes the fuel gauge drops to empty as well but this only happens very rarely.

I got talking to a friend with an 03 and he had similar problems right before his fuel pump went. So since my pump was starting to hum, I changed it with a factory pump. After fixing the fuel pump this dash problem disappeared. It was happening almost daily and then it stopped what seemed like permanently. About a week ago, it started happening again. No fuel pump hum though this time, if that was even related.... who knows.

Whats even more weird, yesterday I pulled out the cluster and checked the back of it for any loose connection or whatnot and since everything looked fine I bolted back in. But now it does it even more. My fuel gauge is out. PRND is out. Temp gauge is down. Everything else on the truck works fine.

I suppose it could be a bad cluster.... I suppose it could be a switch causing a short or a loose wire or a fuse....? I'm at a loss. I was going to have my mechanic friend look at it but I almost feel like at this point I'm more aware of what it could be than he'll ever be. Anyone have any ideas? The worst part is that I just put the truck up for sale on ebay right before this started happening so I need to fix it ASAP! Thanks guys.
    2002 2500HD Gas
    Cognito 10-12
    37" Kumho's - 20" Dominators

Re: 2002 Silverado 2500HD Gauge Cluster Dash Problems. Driving me nuts.

theres a recall on it go to dealer. they replaced mine for free . i have an 04 but im pretty sure the recall stretched back to 02.

mine did that and you have to pull the cluster completely apart and check for broken connections. have to be real carefull because it's probably behind the odometer area and to open that up, you have to carefully bend some contacts. mine had a bad solder point. i resoldered it and it worked perfectly. i searched google over and over until i found a link with some other guys that had their odometers go out too, and it had pics and everything of what where where to take it apart and solder. i can't remember where it was, but i'm pretty sure it wasn't on this forum.

so should i just buy a new cluster if the dealer won't replace it?
    2002 2500HD Gas
    Cognito 10-12

UPDATE:
    Went to the junkyard and they pulled a working cluster for me. I plugged it into my truck and the "new" cluster has the same problem as the old one..... So it's not the cluster. WTF is causing this????!!!!
    2002 2500HD Gas
    Cognito 10-12

hey i have and 03 2500hd but they told me 500 to fix it how did you get if free

hello guys ...
    its really nice post....
    i just liked it....
    thanks....

I have a 2000 and same thing. Some time battery light flashes then every oncer in a while every warning light flashed and gas gauge doesn't work. Any Ideas????

any resolution on this. I have an 02 that is doing the same thing. Dealer wants a fortune to diagnose it.

Might be a bad ground somewhere in the cluster.

my 02 did the samething come to find out that one of the plugs on my ecm had gottin wet.dried plug and connector and problem went away...

It ended up being my cluster. My dealer was very cool only charged me $75 to diagnose. Took him 3 days to figure it out. He also replaced my ignition switch. You can buy a brand new Delphi cluster from Amazon (not a third party seller directly from Amazon) for under $200. If you can change a lightbuld you can change the cluster, very simple job.

Just to clarify. The battery light was my alternator. You can get one from Amazon for under $60. The warning lights was my cluster and the gas gage was the sending unit. A new fuel pump on Amazon (Original OEM Delphi one) is just under $200.

anyone got an answer that works? the 03-05 are the ones with the gauge/dash problems. 02 was before that time. I tried the PCM cleaning thing and it didn't work. i took my gauges apart and all looked fine, cleaned and reinstalled. didn't fix anything. i put a new fuel pump in about a year ago it came with a wiring upgrade...so maybe i'll check that connection i made. but i doubt that will fix it. (cant remember if i had the problem before that). FYI, I've got a 2002 2500HD 6.0L 185,000miles. its been an awesome truck. this issue has been gone for at least 6 month but now its back and bad...i don't know how much gas i have with no fuel gauge or odometer. Just to clarify my battery light is on solid, neither temp gauge works (tranny or engine), PRND odometer is blank, and usually the fuel is stuck on what it read when the issue started. other gauges perform fine.

i was almost positive it had something to do with my Cruise control because when i used cruise control it would pop off randomly then my battery light and gauges did their thing and cruise didn't work again until i turned off and restated. i unplugged my cruise control module and everything was fine, figured that was it and purchased a used one online problem came back when plugged in. then gone until now, and this time unplugging my cruise control module doesn't change a thing!!! PLEASE HELP!

ps. I've got an extra cruise control module if you need one...haha but seriously i have it.

Eventually I brought my truck into a dealer and they spent 3 days troubleshooting it (only charged me 1 hour). They checked everything and told me the cluster was bad. I changed the cluster and haven't had a problem since. Changing the cluster is simple and I think they cost less than 200 bucks on Amazon.

I will disagree with everyone here. My 2000 sierra did the same thing. Going down the road with the cruse on and all of a sudden it would kick out and I would loose all gauges, my gear indicator (PND321 light) and my batt light would come on.

I spent a lot of time chasing down electrical connections (2 yrs off and on) and eventually found a fuse in the interior fuse box that was lose. I believe it was the 20a ign fuse but I don't remember any more, and the truck has since been totaled and hauled off to the scrap yard. I replaced the fuse and the problem persisted occasionally. Eventually I ended up using a pliers to twist the spades of the fuse only slightly so it held tight in the fuse block and drove a year with out the problem ever again.

I would start by pulling dash panels so your fuse block is accessible when driving then when your cluster quits working push on different fuses until it comes back. When it does start looking at that fuse, replace it first then try the method of twisting the spades slightly.
    Over steer is when the passengers are scared, UNDER STEER is when the DRIVER is SCARED

99 Ram 1500, Quad Cab 318
    83 El Camino SS: 350, Performer Intake, RV Cam, Long Tubes, 2.5 Mandrel Bent Duals
    00 Sierra: Killed a Deer, Totaled
    93 Saturn SC2: SOLD!
    77 Buick Electra: SOLD!

problem solved! I feel like a idiot for not doing a better check way earlier on. It was the inside fuse panel, and in my case the Cruise (10A) fuse was just a little loose, i pushed it back in with a little wiggle and viola FIXED! SO...CHECK YOUR FUSES then double check them!!! A 10 year old truck with 185,000miles needs a little fuse wiggle to reconnect the contacts i suppose. i hope this solves peoples issues, I've read many forums and no one had the answer to this identical problem. Stevie F seems to have my exact issue, hope he figured it out. i'll post solutions on other forums for next guy.

Caminoguy, you are the freaking man! I, like you have spent ~1.5 years on and off working on this issue when it appeared...it feels really good to get it fixed. hopefully my truck doesn't end up like yours anytime soon!

good find man
    1996 2 door tahoe 4x4 5.7
    2000 crew cab 2500 classic shortbed 4x4 5.7
    1998 GMC sierra reg cab short box 4x4 5.0
    1993 reg cab stepside 4x4 5.7
    1995 Tahoe 4dr 3" lift 4x4 5.7
    2000 silverado 1500 ex cab 4x4 5.3
    2000 silverado 2500 ex cab 4x4 6.0

X-BOX gamertag CHEVYIKE

hey no problem man. I know when i was having my issue I was going nuts wondering how no one else had any ideas.
    Over steer is when the passengers are scared, UNDER STEER is when the DRIVER is SCARED

99 Ram 1500, Quad Cab 318
    83 El Camino SS: 350, Performer Intake, RV Cam, Long Tubes, 2.5 Mandrel Bent Duals
    00 Sierra: Killed a Deer, Totaled
    93 Saturn SC2: SOLD!
    77 Buick Electra: SOLD!

i have a gas gauge going from empty to full back to empty, is this a sign of a sending unit/pump failure?
    2000 nbs 6.0 silverado 2500
    1996 2 door tahoe 4x4 5.7
    2000 crew cab 2500 classic shortbed 4x4 5.7
    1998 GMC sierra reg cab short box 4x4 5.0
    1993 reg cab stepside 4x4 5.7
    1995 Tahoe 4dr 3" lift 4x4 5.7
    2000 silverado 1500 ex cab 4x4 5.3
    2000 silverado 2500 ex cab 4x4 6.0

X-BOX gamertag CHEVYIKE