GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

97 2 Door Tahoe

This is a discussion on 97 2 Door Tahoe within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; Okay so i want to fab up a new center console for my truck I want it to be one ...

97 2 Door Tahoe

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Okay so i want to fab up a new center console for my truck I want it to be one of kind I have all the measurements and blue prints but comes down to this...What is the best material out there for making such a project? Wood? Sheetmetal? Fiberglass Any ideas or completed projects? Thanks much everybody!

Fiberglassing takes time to get it just right, but can be perfect and will last if done right, metal will take some time if you wanted it to be complex and a round-ish style.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk.
    Thanks,
    Richard.

'95 Silverado Z71: 3"BL

Re: 97 2 Door Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by Snowboi View Post
    Fiberglassing takes time to get it just right, but can be perfect and will last if done right, metal will take some time if you wanted it to be complex and a round-ish style.

I just want it to fit in with the rest of the interior with my leather seats and stuff, Im good with sheet metal but not so much about fiber-glassing where do you even start?

Never really did, did a job, turned out ok, put the resin on too thick, after that I just haven't had time to get back into it. Watch DIY highness video's, some people have good luck with those, I personally went to YouTube for a few DIY video's.

Thanks,
    Richard.

'95 Silverado Z71: 3"BL

Quote Originally Posted by Snowboi View Post
    Never really did, did a job, turned out ok, put the resin on too thick, after that I just haven't had time to get back into it. Watch DIY highness video's, some people have good luck with those, I personally went to YouTube for a few DIY video's.

Awesome then thats what ill do thanks alot bud

Get a 00-02 (two piece) or 03-06 (one piece) center console... Doesnt take a whole lot of modding to get it in...
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...nsole-obs.html
    Last edited by Monstar_est87; 05-10-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstar_est87 View Post
    Get a 00-02 (two piece) or 03-06 (one piece) center console... Doesnt take a whole lot of modding to get it in...
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...nsole-obs.html
    Thanks for the input i defiantly looked at them but I kinda want to go with something more custom that integrates with my dash, i got a lot of custom gauges and switches I want to put in it thanks though
    Last edited by kottke183; 05-10-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Mock it up with cardboard and then you can use the thin wood to make the panels. Cover it with your choice of materials. Or if the shapes are complex you can make a sort of frame and then stretch tshirt material over it and cover with resin, sand as needed and then cover with your choice of material. Or paint!

Quote Originally Posted by 96custom View Post
    Mock it up with cardboard and then you can use the thin wood to make the panels. Cover it with your choice of materials. Or if the shapes are complex you can make a sort of frame and then stretch tshirt material over it and cover with resin, sand as needed and then cover with your choice of material. Or paint!
    That sounds like my game plan thanks alot ill let you know how it turns out

If you start doing intricate shapes with fiberglass panty hose works great strech it how you want it a dd a little resin let it harden and then build up with cloth from there to make it rigid

Quote Originally Posted by ssrado View Post
    If you start doing intricate shapes with fiberglass panty hose works great strech it how you want it a dd a little resin let it harden and then build up with cloth from there to make it rigid
    Awesome great tip do you think I should use panty hose for my whole console or just the corners?

It all depends I usually use the panty hose trick when I need to make something look stretched last time I used it was when I made face's come out of a speaker box made it look like they were streching it out trying to get out. normally when I do a console I build it out of something light 1/4'' MDF or HDF (HDF is better easier to work with) get the shape I want and glass the whole thing then add to it, you could do it out of solid fiberglass but to make it rigid enough its gonna take a bit of glass to do it which=$$, If you do it thin and you think someone won't lean on it just right (will happen ) you will have a cracked console in no time

Quote Originally Posted by ssrado View Post
    It all depends I usually use the panty hose trick when I need to make something look stretched last time I used it was when I made face's come out of a speaker box made it look like they were streching it out trying to get out. normally when I do a console I build it out of something light 1/4'' MDF or HDF (HDF is better easier to work with) get the shape I want and glass the whole thing then add to it, you could do it out of solid fiberglass but to make it rigid enough its gonna take a bit of glass to do it which=$$, If you do it thin and you think someone won't lean on it just right (will happen ) you will have a cracked console in no time
    Thats awesome and sounds great do you know where I can get mdf or hdf? thanks much

Any lumber yard MDF has heavier pieces in it (particle board) HDF is smooth basically glue and sawdust thats pressed. some yards call the HDF MDF that's why I gave the description.

I think fiberglass would be the most factory like console you cpuld build but it may be hard to make, I domt know i've never really done mucn with fiberglass, ,my next guess would be wood just because its easy to work with. I wouldent use metal, it just dosen't seem factory enough, seems kinda tacky