***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

90, Z71, K1500,Silverado headliner

This is a discussion on 90, Z71, K1500,Silverado headliner within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; I need to replace my sagging headliner, Went to LMC trucks they want $239.95??/ I think the headliner board is ...

90, Z71, K1500,Silverado headliner

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    I need to replace my sagging headliner, Went to LMC trucks they want $239.95??/ I think the headliner board is okay??/ So I thinking I can get by with just replacing the material??/ but would like to go back with something more durable??/ like maybe a vinyl??/ does anybody know why or why not as to the foam backing on the material has to be on there when applied ??/ And is there anybody that has done this before??/

Re: 90, Z71, K1500,Silverado headliner

New foam should be there to keep the glue from saturating the fabric and showing thru. You can carefully replace the fabric only, with good glue and careful application. But I wouldn't expect good results on your first try. I'm guessing here, but If you used a good marine vinyl (because its thicker, and has its own backing) you may not need the foam backing. I got a replacement headliner from gulf fabrics in Tampa it has new foam backing. There's no pricing info on their site, but a phone call would provide that info. Also, try the search bar, I know folks on here have replaced their liners, some are customized.
    My DD: 94 ecsb 350/4l60e z71 silvy, tons of accessories, 106K mi.
    Our Burner: 93 rcsb 4.3 vin Z/ 4l60e, stock, 180K mi.
    His Project: 77 C-10 custom step-side with fuel cell, lowered 4/6, roller; DD: 2000 F-650 24V Cummins/Allison.
    SALE: Freshly mach'd 30 over 305. 84 Bronco original. And More!

On second thought... a good quality (thicker) vinyl is going to be harder to wrap around the corners of the board. Just go with the replacement, IMO.
    His Project: 77 C-10 custom step-side with fuel cell, lowered 4/6, roller; DD: 2000 F-650 24V Cummins/Allison.

Quote Originally Posted by kyviabama View Post
    On second thought... a good quality (thicker) vinyl is going to be harder to wrap around the corners of the board. Just go with the replacement, IMO.
    Mine being a Z71 silverado has got interior trim all the way around the head liners edge but I haven't removed it yet so I haven't a clue as to how much sticks inside the trim as to if the vinyl would be a good choice because of the edges,Has anybody noticed how much of the material goes behind the trim (The revel on the trim)

I just rewrapped my headliner and console with suede but I made the mistake of leaving the foam on the headliner. Stuck good for a day but started sagging in the heat the next day. I took all the foam off of the console and its sticking tight. About to pull the headliner down again, remove the suede and clean off all the foam, then rewrap it.

This was my first time doing a headliner and it was really easy to get it with no creases. Just use plenty of glue, I used 3M super77, and keep pulling and smoothing the material until it sits right. I let mine wrap around the edges at least 1-2" all the way around and for all the cutouts for the console and lights.
    99 OBS ECSB z71 5.7L/4L60E/SAS/P-drop NP241/D60/14BFF/4.56s/Detroits/Hydro-assist/Blackbear

the amount of headliner covered by trim, depends on which piece of trim. The trim around the door is narrow, about 1/2". The top rear piece is about 1-1/2".