***Login to the Forum here ***

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

94 factory stereo wiring

This is a discussion on 94 factory stereo wiring within the Interior Tech forums, part of the General Discussion category; ok, I want my clock to work but have an aftermarket stereo. what colors mean what on the factory harness? ...

94 factory stereo wiring

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    ok, I want my clock to work but have an aftermarket stereo. what colors mean what on the factory harness?

I don't want to use the storage pocket either. i've used those before and they are useless. I would much rather have my clock work anyways

thanks, mike
    1994 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 1500 Z71 4x4, 5.7L V-8, - Restored and Better than Ever

Just don't unplug that part of it from the brain.

What's wrong with using the clock on the aftermarket deck?

Originally posted by lowryder99
    What's wrong with using the clock on the aftermarket deck?
    If you read he said he doesnt want to use a pocket, so having the stock radio there just sucks, at least if you have a clock its not so useless.

****Sig removed by staff****

the part about it being useless is part of it but on my deck, the button to hit for the clock is on the far right of the deck and it is small so it would be a hell of a lot better to have the dash clock.

I got the unit out and I can see-

Black=ground

now the questions-

red, yellow, and orange. I need to know what these are for since either of them COULD be 12v power- In all my installs I have seen these colors used for different power wires so I am lost lol
    1994 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 1500 Z71 4x4, 5.7L V-8, - Restored and Better than Ever

Originally posted by Nick99Chevy

Originally posted by Nick99Chevy
    Nick you shouldnt follow stupid people. Cause, even if he leaves the control unit plugged into the factory reciever, the factory reciever doesnt get any power since it is diverted to the aftermarket wiring harnes for the cd player.

Get a test light and run jumpers to the stock radio from the original harness Or see where they plug in to the old radio and run some new wires from the fusebox

well guys, unless you have time to kill don't attempt this.... Like an idiot I ASSumed that I could just cut the harness from the display module and splice 12v, 12v memory, and ground and have a working clock. No. The control box under the column controls the clock. so, what I did was cut a factory plug from a junk 93 grand am that was behind my shop, plug it into the control box, hook up a ground, 12v mem, 12v switched and illumination wire to my stereo harness. I had to splice the end back onto my factory display unit since I cut it off once I put it all together, I found the wires to the aftermarket HU barely made it. and the only problem is that the buttons on the factory display stay illuminated all the time the key is on but so does my aftermarket stereo.

all in all, with what is involved, this is alot of f***ing work for a clock but now that I have it done it is nice to have the clock. so since is didn't cost anything, it's an ok mod

My thinking for when or if I tried this, was I was gonna take out all the lights other than the display lights. Then take out all the buttons and smooth out the plate that covers the radio, and just leave the display.

yeah I was thinking of doing that and using it as a switch panel