If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Suggestions on New Sand/Highway Tires

This is a discussion on Suggestions on New Sand/Highway Tires within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Im in the market for a new set of tires, my 33 XTs from 2000 are finally going bald, i ...

Proud Parent of a 5.7L V8 Z71Silverado98's Avatar

Suggestions on New Sand/Highway Tires

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Im in the market for a new set of tires, my 33 XTs from 2000 are finally going bald, i have no idea how many miles ive got on 'em but its quite a bit.

Im looking for something that has excellent highway wear and performs well in the sand. I know the XT's are long lasting tires but it seems they dig just a little too much into the sand before moving forward. My old set of 30" Michelin Street tires seem like they would cross some of the easier sand trails in only 2wd while the XTs would dig down and get the rears stuck forcing me to use 4wd when it wasnt really neccessary.

ive decided to stick to only sand. I did the gumbo mud thing for a few months and dont like the rust. so its highway/sand only.

Any suggestions within a reasonable price range (210 or less)?
    I would go w/ the XT's again because i like thier looks and i know they last, but if there is a better sand tire that will last just as well on the road id rather have that. Prefer 305/70/or16

currently looking at:

Procomp ATs & XTs
    Thompson ATZ

thanks
    98 Chevy Z71, PowerAid TBS, K&N FIPK, 2.25" Dual 50 series Flowmaster, SSBC Big Brake Kit, 305/70 ProComp Xterrains on 16x8 Am. racing Terons, 2" lift, CFM Tech Throttle Blade,B&M Elec. Shift Kit, Vette Servo, Trans-Go Shift Kit, Hooker Super Comp Headers, Descreened MAF.

Hazlehurst, Ga (home) Macon, Ga (college)

Re: Suggestions on New Sand/Highway Tires

BF Goodrich all terrains have very excellent road manners, and I think they do farely well once aired down in the sand.

The procomp AT's work very good in sand and last long on the high way. Also nitto just came out with a dune grappler. I have heard they do great in sand but dont dont last as long as say a procomp AT of bfg AT. Also the Mickey Thompson Baja MTX Radials are designed for the sand. I vote procomp just because they are cheaper and do what u need them to do.
    Last edited by HDhoss; 09-13-2006 at 03:36 PM.
    2005 chevy 2500hd x-cab swb, 6.0, 4.10's, k&n fipk, 285-75-16 nitto terra grapplers wait4me tune. 2000 4x4 reg cab 7.5 inch fabtech 3inch Bl, 35/14/16.5 ground hawgs, 4.10 gears. fipk. wait4metune, other goodies.

"I dont get stuck, only temporarily delayed."

I'm liking my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. They're quiet, have great tread life on the road, and I've never had a problem with them in the Galveston/Crystal Beach sand....

Flexin more than your IFS 1990GMCZ71's Avatar

Revos My experiences would recommend the BFG A/Ts, DC FC-IIs, or the Pro Comp A/Ts. If you want good mileage and sand traction those would be the best bet. Remember with any tire that you should air down in the sand so you have better traction, and can float better. A larger footprint when you air down creates less pressure on the ground, hence why you float and have better traction.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab. 4x4 Off-Road Package. 5.2L 318 c.i. V8. Nasta Stainless Steel Step Bars. Downey SST Tonneau Cover. Balding 285/70/R17 BFG A/T's. :LOL:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Matt2003z71

Claw or MTZ.

The MTX doesnt wear very well at all imo.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Luke, how many miles have you gotten out of a set of MTX's?

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab. 4x4 Off-Road Package. 5.2L 318 c.i. V8. Nasta Stainless Steel Step Bars. Downey SST Tonneau Cover. Balding 285/70/R17 BFG A/T's. :LOL:

Quote Originally Posted by 1990GMCZ71
    Luke, how many miles have you gotten out of a set of MTX's?
    Id rather not think abou it. :LOL:

Next time I wouldnt pay 600+ dollars for a set of tires that wont see the 10K mark. Granted, Im not easy on them at all, but I dotn even have posi and all the tires are worn pretty evenly.
    2001 rcsb Z71 06 clip, lowered, 6.0 LQ9, p&p 241s, cam, PI3600, LPP long tubes, etc. Tuned by TJ of Baker Engineering Inc - SOLD
    1989 rcsb 4x4, solid axled, HP44/14ff, 4.88s, 35s/20s

Quote Originally Posted by 1989K1500
    Id rather not think abou it. :LOL:

Next time I wouldnt pay 600+ dollars for a set of tires that wont see the 10K mark. Granted, Im not easy on them at all, but I dotn even have posi and all the tires are worn pretty evenly.

are you serious???

my buddy has an '05 Dmax (programmer, exhaust, intake) and he's looking into a set of whatever it is you have (can't remember of hand), but if you're only gonna get like 10k out of yours, then I'll tell him to look into the BFG's

some 33" Dirt Grips will do ya just fine

should get a good 40k miles out of them. im on a set of 35s right now and commute 70miles/day at highways speeds.

here's a pic of a set of 33's with a 6" lift. i ran the same 33's with 2" lift on 17x8" rims and no rubbing

2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L Hemi: Pics Here
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali AWD (SOLD): Pics Here
    2005 1500 Crew Cab. 8" lift w/37s (SOLD): Pics Here

BFG A/T's are great in sand..I used to run em on the beach in Hatteras.

don't want to start an argument- just my experience

my 32" bridgestone dueler AT's (non-revo, not the kind that come on silverados stock) did better than my 35" bfg ats in mud snow and sand

they also did a lot better than my buddies 32" pro-comp ATs (though i am a fan of the pro-comps too)

these were the worst thing i ever put on this "toy"

edit: that was when i used to wheel almost every weekend-- so i had plenty of experience with all 3 of those tires (bfg at, bridgestone dueler, pc AT). the best tires i put on that explorer were a set of 33" xterrains
    Last edited by Matt_; 09-14-2006 at 05:01 PM.

BIGGER & BETTER in TEXAS! tatez71's Avatar

"my 32" bridgestone dueler AT's (non-revo, not the kind that come on silverados stock) did better than my 35" bfg ats in mud snow and sand"

I use to run the Duelers on my old lifted dodge & then went to BFG A/T's, was not happy. Got rid of the BFG's & went back to duelers!

38" Swampers & Rockstars back on!
    TEXAS REBELS

When you spend $700 on a set of tires you expect them to last you more than 20,000 miles. Not only that, but be good in the conditions they were designed and bought for. I bought the Dueler Revos because they are supposedly the best A/T tire out there according to tire rack. I used them in sand, mud, light snow, deep snow, ice, rain, highway, etc. Typical Michigan conditions. After about 10,000 miles the sipes closed up on all four tires. When I pay $700 for a set of tires I would like to know that they have sipes all the way through the tread depth, to ensure I have wet weather and ice traction (BFG A/T, PC A/T). Secondly, I have hydroplaned more with the Revo's then I have ever with any tire on my truck. Whether it be the Goodyear Wrangler TD's, Firestone Steeltex A/T, or the BFG A/T's. Why would you hydroplane with all this Uni-T technology? Third, my BALD SteelTex A/T's cleaned out better then the Revo in mud. That is pretty sad. Naturally the BFG will clean out better then both of those tires. 4th, in snow and ice they are pretty worthless. Granted the BFG's pack up with snow because that is how they were designed, a quick stab of the throttle cleans them quickly with snow flying over your roof. Lastly, the Revos lasted me 20,000 miles before they were bald. This was with regular rotations at every oil change, and close monitoring of air pressures. I have no experience with the regular Dueler, however I would rather throw down my money on them over a set of Revos again if I did have to buy a Bridgestone tire. This is my contribution from my experiences.

P.S. Presently I have 20,000 miles on my BFG's in just one year, and the tires are just starting to show signs of wear. My dad has a 2001 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Off-Road with 285/70R17 BFG A/T's. He purchased them when I got my Revos 3 years ago. He has never rotated them, and with 40,000 miles on them, he has about half of his tread left. Mind you, his Ram is the last of the 1500's with a SFA. So you tell me, what is so wrong with BFG A/T's?

For the money they are one of the best performing A/T's you can buy if you need an A/T tire. Many other people on here will vouch for that.
    Last edited by 1990GMCZ71; 09-14-2006 at 05:32 PM.

just to clear any confusion... i never had the revos

i had the dueler 693

the revo's are a totally different tread design

Further clarification, the Dueler 693 II comes on the Silverados from the factory. People will even say that Swampers suck in the mud, trust me. I have seen it on this forum, and even heard it in off-road shops. A lot of it comes down to your driving style, and the knowledge you have. For the most part....driving skill. If you go into a hole as fast as you can, you will ruin your momentum and you're stuck. You go at a slower, more constant speed, saw your tires back and forth, you will go farther. I went into a hole with bald Steeltex's that were only 245/75's that a H2 got stuck in, and I made it almost all the way out of the hole. It was really rutted, and the only reason why I didn't make it was because my rear axle got stuck on a rut I couldn't see. It all depends on driver skill more then tread design. I'm done. You have had several recommendations, now go buy what you think is right for YOU.

I vote for PJ dirt gripz.
    No more FSC.
    1993 Jeep Wranger, 5in lift 33s
    2002 doge stratus

Proud Parent of a 5.7L V8 Z71Silverado98's Avatar

its between the dirt grips and the PC AT's.
    I dont like BFG's much.

How much do those dirt grips go per tire?
    98 Chevy Z71, PowerAid TBS, K&N FIPK, 2.25" Dual 50 series Flowmaster, SSBC Big Brake Kit, 305/70 ProComp Xterrains on 16x8 Am. racing Terons, 2" lift, CFM Tech Throttle Blade,B&M Elec. Shift Kit, Vette Servo, Trans-Go Shift Kit, Hooker Super Comp Headers, Descreened MAF.