GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

33 x 12.5 tire fits what min. wheel width?

This is a discussion on 33 x 12.5 tire fits what min. wheel width? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Specifically, looking to put 33 x 12.5 tires on my 96 Tahoe. I've been told to go with 8 or ...

33 x 12.5 tire fits what min. wheel width?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Specifically, looking to put 33 x 12.5 tires on my 96 Tahoe. I've been told to go with 8 or 10 inch wheel width and 15 or 16 inch wheels. First off, will 33 x 12.5 Cepek FCII's even fit on an 8" wide wheel? Their fitment guide says 8.5 minimum but I don't find wheels that size.
    Second, if I go with the 15x10 wheel, which I think is what I want, what backset works best. Looks like I need about 3" lift minimum. Will that make a fit?

iceman7329

Re: 33 x 12.5 tire fits what min. wheel width?

We have 33 x 12.5s on 7 inch wheels on one of the work trucks

Gallons per Mile

if you want a 3 inch lift. dont go with a 10 inch wide wheel. not saying it cant be done, but it just is a safe bet to go with an 8 and be sure theyll fit.

the cepeks will fit on an 8 inch wide wheel yes.

the bigger the backspace number , the less the tires will stick out. check out my gallery, those are 265s on a 16x8 with 4.25 or 4.5 inch BS (i cant remember exactly but theres not much difference)

the narrower rim and less (numerically more) backspace will have the tire tucked more under the fender, and will make it fit better, since most rubbing issues are caused by the outside edge of the tire rubbing the bumper when you are turning sharply.

and what year truck is it ? 88-99 and 00 + trucks have a little different fenders, although it should fit either way.

if you dont want to do lift, 285/75 r16s (33x1150) should fit without lift if you go with a mild backspace or stock rim.
    95 305tbi 3.73s w/G80rock crawler 97'procomp9000's summit/pace setter shortys dynomax bullet catco hi flow cat Sold (unfortunately)

2004 GTO 6speed, heads, cam, 3.91 diff, kooks long tubes, catless. some suspension etc... Sold

BIGGER & BETTER in TEXAS! tatez71's Avatar

they will def. fit on the 8" wheel! I think the 3" lift & 33/12.50's on the 8" wheel qould be A killer set-up! what yr model?

38" Swampers & Rockstars back on!
    TEXAS REBELS

Wheeler

fit on that wheel no problem. Im running 33x13.50's on 15x8's and have no problems. the 15x10 wheel will make the tire stick out further is all.
    2000 Tahoe Z71, 14bFF 6 lug, 241 swap, bumpers, sliders.
    1988 K5, 350/700R/241 locked 10B, welded 12B, 35's, half doors.

Okay. I bit the bullet today and ordered 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO's and some black steel 15" rims. (Long term plan is to black out the chrome stuff except for a few accents like the hub covers and lugs, etc.) It's the dark maroon color. New question: What kind of gearing nightmare have I now caused? It's still the stock 96 4wd setup. (3.73's right?). My Jeep has 33" tires and I just went to 4.56's but part of that was to get a little better crawl ratio for the standard tranny. On the Tahoe, I'm thinking 4.10's would be ideal and that's not worth the money to change unless you were "goin' in" anyway. (Which may happen eventually to do some kind of locker in the rear).

Next question: Think I can get it on the road cheap by cranking the TB's and some rear blocks or should I just wait a couple months til I can get a lift kit? Guess when the tires/rims get here I'll just go try and see how far off it is from clearing.

BTW This site is great. Can't believe all the time I spend on the net and just recently ran into you guys.