If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bullitt1672

How Do You Level a 2000 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado Ext. Cab

This is a discussion on How Do You Level a 2000 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado Ext. Cab within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; As the title suggest i have a 2000 z71 silverado Ext. Cab and i do not like the way it ...

Registered User CompleatRedneck's Avatar

How Do You Level a 2000 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado Ext. Cab

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    As the title suggest i have a 2000 z71 silverado Ext. Cab and i do not like the way it is sitting. I just bought it this past week for a little below 200000 miles and only paid 5500 dollars. I was hoping that someone would tell me how to lift the front to level out the truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, along with anything helpful about the truck because this is my first 2000 chevy much less my first 4wd truck, a big difference from my last truck (in gallery).
    I had heard about adjusting the torsion bars is that all it takes? and how do you do it.

Re: How Do You Level a 2000 Chevrolet Z71 Silverado Ext. Cab

read the sticky at the top of the offroad forum it will tell you everything you need to know

this one-
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...cing-tech.html
    Last edited by GCncsuHD; 11-12-2007 at 03:47 PM.

^^+1 If you just want it level, cranking your stock torsion keys should do it. Find out were the keys are by going to the link above, jack up the front of your truck and just turn the bolts up until you like the way it sits. here is my truck with a 4" block in the rear, with the stock torsion keys cranked up all the way (gives it a raked look). I have a set of Ford keys that i am putting on this weekend to level it.
    aceofspades471 likes this.

so the stock torsion bars just need to be cranked up and then have the front end realigned to sit level? does it ride bad?

also in that forum i don't see where he talks about the cranking.. I tried to use the color coding system but that color never shows up... maybe i am just stupid?

When i cranked my keys all the way up, it rode rougher and the shocks had no travel (shocks were stock). I put new Skyjacker Hydro's on it for a 2" lift because i knew i was going to be getting ford keys. So yes it does ride rougher, but its worth it. I have 16x10 rims and 33's on it without rubbing hardly any. Look under your truck, about were the the back of your front door is. you will see a torsion bar on either side look were the torsion bar stops as it goes towards the back of the truck. there you will see a bolt that pushes up on a key. Just turn the bolt up on both side until you like how it sits.

"it pays to be a winner"

you paid $5500 for a 2000 with 200,000 miles on it?

hahaha jk, but check out this article before you do any cranking...

http://chevy.off-road.com/chevy/arti....jsp?id=200036
    Last edited by beerme; 11-12-2007 at 05:38 PM.

I rebuild engines so the miles don't really worry me, perfect body and fully loaded interior with a few small cosmetic problems

"it pays to be a winner"

im just messin... but make sure u do ur research before u crank..

Is it possible to use a leveling kit, ford keys, and crank your t-bar and then put a bigger block in the back?

Ice cold for best results kp1500z71's Avatar

200,000 miles I would really look into REPLACING the torsion bars them selves more than any thing else first and for most. Yea you can crank them, but with that kind of mileage I really doubt you will get a lot a lift just cranking TB's. Theres several a threads on this, and before some one else mentions it try to use the search button for you can find a lot of stuff using it. Good luck. kp
    6" Fabtech S/L, 3" BL, Ford Keys, 3/4ton TB's, Realift TB Relocators, Bilstien 5100 Shocks, 3/4ton CV's, 37" SSR's on 16x8 AR Chrome Victor, 4.88 Genuine G2 Gears & Eaton Posi LSD, Wait4Me Tune, K&N Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman12
    Is it possible to use a leveling kit, ford keys, and crank your t-bar and then put a bigger block in the back?
    Not really. A leveling kit includes indexing keys, which is the same thing as Ford keys, which does the same thing as cranking the torsion bars.

You can use different keys to gain more crank, but you're still doing the exact same thing with all 3 methods.
    -2004 Silverado-

If i do use different keys will my cv angles be just as bad? Sorry for jackin the thread..

Registered User hootdocta052003's Avatar

you might wanna grease up those muffler bearings before you crank the t-bar keys. did you keep the torsion bar keys from when you bought the truck, it should either be included on the keyring with the rest of them or they stuck it in the glovebox. you gotta make sure you have that first.

just incase anyone was wondering i decided to jack up the torsion bolts and raise the front end, but according to the guy at the alignment shop down the street, I have 1,400 dollars worth of problems to deal with before I do that, Front end was pretty much shot go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CompleatRedneck
    just incase anyone was wondering i decided to jack up the torsion bolts and raise the front end, but according to the guy at the alignment shop down the street, I have 1,400 dollars worth of problems to deal with before I do that, Front end was pretty much shot go figure.
    well with 200k on the clock, i can understand the front end being worn out.

but do crank them up before it is aligned.
    new tow Rig rattles and smokes
    '89 K5 trail rig

Yea i was gonna have the guy do it at the alignment shop to make it easy on me and in the process of looking at the truck he noticed all of the bearings were worn out, and pretty much all the front suspension. So when i get all of that replaced we will level it out, and maybe get even a little more lift with it.

Registered User hootdocta052003's Avatar

why dont you check that stuff yourself. most mechanics are notorious for telling you that just to make some dough, even if you have known them your whole life.

True I was gonna see what all he said was warn and see if it was something i could do myself. I will give ya'll an update later. See if i still come out below blue book after repairs and all of that..