GM Inside - Muscle Cars - Jeep

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Where's the bolts to adjust torsion bar???

This is a discussion on Where's the bolts to adjust torsion bar??? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Sup...new here but read a lot and can't find anywhere on here for help on adjusting my torsion bar to ...

White Collar Redneck

Where's the bolts to adjust torsion bar???

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Sup...new here but read a lot and can't find anywhere on here for help on adjusting my torsion bar to raise my truck.

I have a 94 Chevy K1500 Silverado 4x4 regular cab 8' bed cherry red. I had to replace the right tie rod and rear shocks, removed the nasty looking steps and got a good alignment. The truck drives and turns like a champ. I am wanting to raise the truck a little bit to give it that more beefy/offroad look.

I also added helper springs to bring the rear back to normal but they only gave the rear about 1" lift so now it is back to normal height.

I am getting 2-3" blocks for the rear and will have the torsion bars adjusted once I do that. Now.....

Where are the torsion bar bolts that I need to adjust? I have looked and am not sure exactly what I need to be looking for. I know what and where the torsion bar is but the only bolts I see underneath are inside of the arms and impossible to get a socket in there. If someone has pics or can help me out, that will be great. I will post some pics of my truck tomorrow after work.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Where's the bolts to adjust torsion bar???

ok so what you need to do is follow the torsion bars back to the crossmember they are connected to and look inside the crossmember. the two bolts that are pushin on the keys on the bars are the ones you need to adjust
    93 Z71 6" rough country, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on Classic Locks 6.0 vortec and sas to come

formerly mytrucksbigger VenomHP's Avatar

before your transfercase you will see two big bars (torsion bars) and they connect to the crossmember, theres two screws, crank em if thats what ya wanna do
    02 ext cab z-71 LT 6" lift, FLT LVL 4 4L60E, flowmasters, intake, power programmer, 4:56 gears, traction bars, 35" tires and atlas II wheels

White Collar Redneck

Ya...I looked again and the torsion bar comes out both ends and kinda curves. Then there are long bolts on each side at the end of the torsion bar and they go down into the crossmembers. Under the crossmembers is a small hole and in there is the bolt where I think is the bolt I need to adjust to raise it. BUT...the hole is barely big enough to get a socket in let alone the bolts don't align directly under the holes opening.

Well....I will need a tire alignment anyways after adjusting them so I may just have the guys at the shop adjust/raise and then align at the same time so I won't have to drive 30 miles if I adjust them myself...may be safer also this way.

But I do need to do the rear myself. I may just get a 2" set of blocks and new u-bolts since it will be higher than the factory u-bolts can go. I will just do that myself then take it in and get the rest done there...hopefully I won't need new front shocks..I can do those myself but since I may be having the shop do the adjustments they may say I need new ones...

Any comments on this? And thanks for the quick responses also. I appreciate it. :-)

Read the sticky at the top of the offroad forum, all the info you will ever need for cranking your t-bars
    Formerly Grey89

97 Chevy K3500 CCLB SRW 6.5L, 4" exhaust, 305's, 20% tint, block/cranked
    97 Chevy K1500 Suburban-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by MSF
    DD'n an OBS is great... If you don't have to go anywhere, or you can afford a $hit ton of gas.

Pure White Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandlizard
    Ya...I looked again and the torsion bar comes out both ends and kinda curves. Then there are long bolts on each side at the end of the torsion bar and they go down into the crossmembers. Under the crossmembers is a small hole and in there is the bolt where I think is the bolt I need to adjust to raise it. BUT...the hole is barely big enough to get a socket in let alone the bolts don't align directly under the holes opening.
    That sounds like the anti sway bar. It goes from one side to the other. Torsion bars go from the lower suspension arms BACK to the middle of the truck.

You will need another alignment after you adjust them.
    2008 LS 4x4 G80 4.8, Home Made 2" Level.

You're talking about the sway bar, not what you want. Crawl back under the truck. About the position under the driver's feet you will find two round bars running front to back, about 4' long. Those are your Torsion bars.
    2008 Trailblazer SS AWD
    2007 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI
    1991 Silverado 'K-15/25/3500' - [Build Thread] [SOLD 12/2/2011]
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    - SOLD

White Collar Redneck

Ok..I will check again now...brb...lol

White Collar Redneck

Is this it?

Blinded' by tha Light' Big~Kenny's Avatar

No thats your tie-rod for your steering.

The torsion bar crossmember is located underneath your transmission, with torsion keys, and a bolt that u crank to generate lift.

Blacknights truck^^
    Last edited by Big~Kenny; 12-28-2008 at 08:03 PM.

1991 GMC |350 V8| 2 Alpine S-10's |Kenwood X792 |Pioneer D1200M Amp |Polk 6's |6000K HID's | CB Vortex | 20% Tint | 33x10.50 BFG on 15x8 Eagle 058 | 94+ Grill

'89 GMC RCSB | Sold 05/08/09

'91 VW Passat

'00 VW Jetta - DD

White Collar Redneck

Ok...brb again...gonna go take another look and more pics...

Every Mile a Memory gitingrdone's Avatar

lol. They run lengthwise under the truck. Kind of like an six point head on each end. They tie into your lower control arms.
    2006-Black GMC ECSB SLT Sierra Z71 Sig Thanks to xZoomerZx

OMFG! LOL. Sorry,that was just funny. ^^^^

White Collar Redneck

I am thinking this is the money shot? BTW...it is kinda behind the cab. Not under the feet.

White Collar Redneck

LMAO...I can understand how you all can get a kick out of me...cause I am just rofl right now....It's great when u can laugh at/with yourself though....lol

ANYWHO>.....lol. this is it...rrrright?...;-)

That's them.

The torsion bars run under the feet, I was close. I haven't looked at an IFS truck in a while
    2008 Trailblazer SS AWD
    2007 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI
    1991 Silverado 'K-15/25/3500' - [Build Thread] [SOLD 12/2/2011]
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    - SOLD

Blinded' by tha Light' Big~Kenny's Avatar

YES!! Thats the money shot! See those bolts? Get them soakin in PB Blaster or WD-40 overnight at least, then crank them IN the same ammount on each side, remember to lift the front of the truck off the ground with a hydrolic jack, and jackstands.
    Last edited by Big~Kenny; 12-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.

1991 GMC |350 V8| 2 Alpine S-10's |Kenwood X792 |Pioneer D1200M Amp |Polk 6's |6000K HID's | CB Vortex | 20% Tint | 33x10.50 BFG on 15x8 Eagle 058 | 94+ Grill

'89 GMC RCSB | Sold 05/08/09

'91 VW Passat

'00 VW Jetta - DD

There ya go man! Just be sure to soak that bolt with PB Blaster overnight before attempting to twist.

Make sure you hit those bolts with some penetrating oil first! don't wanna snap one off.

Quote Originally Posted by 02DMaxx
    Make sure you hit those bolts with some penetrating oil first! don't wanna snap one off.
    Jinx

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast