If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Suburban Sagging...Shackle flip in rear?

This is a discussion on Suburban Sagging...Shackle flip in rear? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Hey guys, I have searched for a solution to my problem but nothing is talking about my exact situation. I ...

Nashville, TN (home)/ Knoxville, TN (school)

Suburban Sagging...Shackle flip in rear?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Hey guys, I have searched for a solution to my problem but nothing is talking about my exact situation. I have a 1997 suburban with a 6" RCD lift. The rear lift is composed of a 4" block and an add-a-leaf. Recently i have noticed the backend of the suburban has lowered back down. The backend is 3" lower than the front end which is pretty significant and noticeable. It looks like a severe Cali lean which I DON'T want.

My question is: What are my options to lift the rear end back up even with the front end? I know that I could get new springs, but that is pretty expensive. I dont want a block that is taller than 4" because of the axle wrap and safety issues. Can I stack add-a-leafs in there to raise it up? Or is my only option a 4" shackle flip with a 2 inch block and add-a-leaf? Or should I search for 3/4 ton springs to put in? Can you give y'alls options on what would be the best for the car and what would be the cheapest? I would be willing to spend around $300-400 to fix this problem. I would really like to just put new springs on, but it looks like all of the springs out there are so expensive.

Thanks Everybody!
    Ben
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    315/70/17 BFG All Terrains
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    Cherrybomb Extreme true dual exhaust
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    APC Clear Corners & turn signals
    Wheatley 89 Tune
    Powerslot Cryo rotors & hawk pads

counter terra-ist tactics bonedust's Avatar

Re: Suburban Sagging...Shackle flip in rear?

if the rear has settled down that far, the springs are pretty tired. anything other than a spring replacement is going to be a band-aid fix imo. get a newer set of stockers from a junkyard if the first set worked fine.

lift Springs and ditch the blocks. Procomp makes a low cost spring, rough ride though. When I lifted my tahoe I did the front 6.5 and the back was a 5" block. The rear was an inch lower than the front to start and had some Calito it also. A set of 6" srpings fixed that up real quick. Sits level on all corners now.

Tooned by xZoomerZx

1997 Tahoe 2 Dr., 4x4, GMPP HT383E, JBA Headers, Magnaflow cats, Borla Muffler, K&N FIPK, PCM4LESS custom tune.
    DC 6.5" lift, 6" procomp rear springs, 35/12.5/17 Procomp extreme ATs, Yukon 4.56 gears

Yeah, those pro comp springs look pretty good. Is the ride uncomfortably rough? If so, I might pay extra for some softride skyjacker springs. I do want to try and fit 37s on for the next time I get new tires, so do you think the pro comp springs will lift the rear of my car up enough to fit 37s? The suburban is sagging so much right now that the 35s are getting close to the wheel wells. Or should I look at the 8" softride springs from skyjacker and crank the front to clear 37s?
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

The procomps are a touch stiffer in my opinion (I like them though, it's a truck and rides like one. Put some weight inthe back and it's as soft as can be) Some say they are really stiff though. I heard good things about skyjacker though. If you want 37" tires you could get the 8" spring or a 6 for now and add a small block later for the extra height.

Tooned by xZoomerZx

1997 Tahoe 2 Dr., 4x4, GMPP HT383E, JBA Headers, Magnaflow cats, Borla Muffler, K&N FIPK, PCM4LESS custom tune.
    DC 6.5" lift, 6" procomp rear springs, 35/12.5/17 Procomp extreme ATs, Yukon 4.56 gears

formerly 133

Shackle flip and 0-Rate imo.
    04 Sierra-LM7

Waiting on spring, Needs to be faster! Just ask TheBigBlackHD-

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBlackHD View Post
    no no no no no no no no nO NO NO NO NO! Please NO! I cant be "the guy whos truck got beat by the guys truck with the camo headliner"!

Can you even buy a 2" zero rate to use with the shackle flip? I've only seen a 1" zero rate.

I'll probably just go with the lift springs, since the shackle flip looks alot more involved. I also think with the weight in the back end of my suburban(i.e. 150 lbs of tools, huge spare tire, and the third seat), that it shouldn't be too rough of a ride.

Can i even get the pro comp lift springs for a four door suburban though? I thought i saw somewhere that the pro comp springs only work with 2 door tahoes and blazers. I might be stuck with having to get the more expensive skyjacker springs.
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

concreteguyjosh concreteguyjosh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bensblueburban
    Can you even buy a 2" zero rate to use with the shackle flip? I've only seen a 1" zero rate.

I'll probably just go with the lift springs, since the shackle flip looks alot more involved. I also think with the weight in the back end of my suburban(i.e. 150 lbs of tools, huge spare tire, and the third seat), that it shouldn't be too rough of a ride.

Can i even get the pro comp lift springs for a four door suburban though? I thought i saw somewhere that the pro comp springs only work with 2 door tahoes and blazers. I might be stuck with having to get the more expensive skyjacker springs.
    You might check out Off Road Design's website. They have some zero rate blocks that they call add-a-leafs... don't recall how high they lift. It's worth a try at least.
    81 Suburban, 6" lift,all spring, 35" pro comp x-terrains, 2 1/4" hooker pipes with fake flowmasters, warn 8274 winch, floor herculined, stock gears :{, 17 mpg on highway

Sorry to bring an old one back up, but I still haven't done anything to fix my sagging problem. I have finally narrowed it down to two possible fixes, and I would like yalls opinion on it. The lift springs for my truck are about $700, so that is out of the question now. I don't want to do a shackle flip yet either because that would probably involve dropping my gas tank. My current setup is a 4" block & a 2" lift add-a-leaf in my rear spring pack. The add-a-leaf has sagged and is no longer giving me anymore lift., so I have about 6" up front and 4" in the rear. My two options are now are: the ORD zero rates or lift shackles. Which one would yall do? The zero rate bolts into the spring pack, but still looks a little fishy to me having it on top of a 4" block. And the lift shackles don't look anywhere near the strength of the stock shackles, which concerns me for towing with. Although, they do look like an easy solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-99...Q5fAccessories

Thanks!
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

counter terra-ist tactics bonedust's Avatar

if the spring is really sagging that bad, doing anything but replacing the springs will be like putting a band-aid on cancer. if you get those lift shackles, your springs will keep sagging, and well be having this conversation again...and you will have blown 10% of the cost of the proper fix.

properly lifting and maintaining trucks isnt cheap...
    2006 3/4 Suburban Assult Vehicle
    8.1/stg-3 4l80e, divorced 273, 60/14b, 5.38, ARB locker front and rear,radius arms on King coilovers, 47" Growlers, lighting by Rigid LED and Lightforce HID, in-vehicle vault. next: custom roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by bonedust View Post
    if the spring is really sagging that bad, doing anything but replacing the springs will be like putting a band-aid on cancer. if you get those lift shackles, your springs will keep sagging, and well be having this conversation again...and you will have blown 10% of the cost of the proper fix.

properly lifting and maintaining trucks isnt cheap...

Those pro-comp's you were talking about earlier in the thread won't work for you.....they don't make them rated for a suburban, just the 2 door hoes, and pickups.

I suggest custom springs, Alcan's or Deaver's

If you wait till spring you could possibly buy mine as I want a bigger set
    '05 GMC 2500 HD LLY
    '07 TBSS AWD 3SS
    Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    Ummm...By that, I think that would require sticking my own finger into my "Doug".

I understand what you guys are saying. It really does make sense to just buy the full springs. I really want to do it right, but can't bring myself to pay the $700 to buy the custom built Alcan's.

JWolfe75, if you are serious about selling your springs to me in the springtime, I will definitely be a buyer! That would fit my needs great because they are the springs I need at a lower cost. Can you PM me with more details about your springs?
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

I understand what you guys are saying. It really does make sense to just buy the full springs. I really want to do it right, but can't bring myself to pay the $700 to buy the custom built Alcan's.

JWolfe75, if you are serious about selling your springs to me in the springtime, I will definitely be a buyer! That would fit my needs great because they are the springs I need at a lower cost. Can you PM me with more details about your springs?
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

I had this reply all typed up

Quote Originally Posted by JWOlfe75
    I remember, unfortunately the economy has turned against me I've had to put a few projects off, and I'm just working on getting through the parts I already have.....not buying anything new for a while.

I'll let you know if things change....but it doesn't look like it'll be this summer.

-Jerry

then Your pm's are full
    '05 GMC 2500 HD LLY
    '07 TBSS AWD 3SS
    Quote Originally Posted by BHB View Post
    Ummm...By that, I think that would require sticking my own finger into my "Doug".

Just thought I would follow up on this thread. I finally fixed the sagging rear end on my suburban. I ended up buying two whole spring packs from a 1994 suburban 1500 at pull-a-part for $30. I pulled the overload and the leaf above the overload out of the 1994 suburban's spring packs. I went to Nashville Spring & Trailer to have some 5/8" u-bolts bent that were long enough & some center pins for $50. Then I put it all on my suburban. It works great & raised my rear end up even with my front end. I got around 2.5-3" out of it. The extra spring capacity seems to help while cornering & helps with the added weight of my new ranchhand replacement bumpers. Thanks for all of your help!
    1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil
    Wheatley 89 Tune

Have any pics.?

Here ya go:

1997 GMC Suburban K1500
    RCD 6" suspension lift
    4.88 Yukons
    Detroit Trutrac
    MT Classic II wheels
    Ranchhand Bumpers
    NGK Iridium plugs
    Amsoil