If you are not able to login to the forum, please Contact Us here to let us know. Thanks!

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

best rear shock setup?

This is a discussion on best rear shock setup? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; okay guys, since i moved my rear end back about 4-5 inchs i can't use the factory shock studs,now i ...

dreamin of a 6x6

best rear shock setup?

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    okay guys, since i moved my rear end back about 4-5 inchs i can't use the factory shock studs,now i was thinking about using this for the shocks and also to help "beef" up the frame
    http://www.diy4x.com/suspension.htm
    the shock absorber inboarding kit,and use the shock tabs to weld to the axle,now the main question is how should i run the shocks?
    option 1

or option 2

or shoot me your idea?
    1979 silverado k20 454,4 speed,body lift,homemade cowl hood,homebrew front bumper,humvee tires

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseDog
    stick with your truck, if she has any sense at all, she'll be leaving you soon anyways. no sense in putting yourself into any more debt.

Re: best rear shock setup?

Between those two, Option 1.
    2012 GMC Sierra SLT
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali
    1991 Silverado 'K-15/25/3500' D60, 14FF, 38's - [Build Thread] [SOLD 12/2/2011]

dreamin of a 6x6

Johnny U,is there a better way you would run?and would option 2 let me run longer shocks?
    1979 silverado k20 454,4 speed,body lift,homemade cowl hood,homebrew front bumper,humvee tires

stick with your truck, if she has any sense at all, she'll be leaving you soon anyways. no sense in putting yourself into any more debt.

That's exactly how I have my rear shocks setup, and they work fine. Shocks are most efficient when operating vertical or close to vertical.
    2012 GMC Sierra SLT
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali

......................... Atomic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyU View Post
    That's exactly how I have my rear shocks setup, and they work fine. Shocks are most efficient when operating vertical or close to vertical.
    Exactly

Inboarding gives you more travel, but if you do inboard them you will need stiffer valving since the shock wont be as effective.

as said before, the closer to vertical your shocks are teh better they will work as designed, but inboarded at an angle will increase travel since the distance the axle will travel will be greater than the linear distance moved on the shock due to it being at an angle.

you can run a longer shock with option #2 unless you are not planning on running a bed or do not mind cutting up your bed and making your upper shock mounts up pretty high, which is what i would do and plan to do on mine eventually.
    new tow Rig rattles and smokes
    '89 K5 trail rig

dreamin of a 6x6

that inboarding kit is made to go under the bed without modifications,but im gonna be running them vertical then.what do ya think about the inboarding kit?
    Last edited by k20chevy 454; 07-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.

How much lift are you running?

You'll need to size shocks appropriately based on your suspension's travel. Most people either don't know how to do that, or just underestimate the importance in doing so.
    2012 GMC Sierra SLT
    2010 GMC Yukon Denali

dreamin of a 6x6

im running bout 4in of lift,im waiting to order shocks till i can flex out my suspension to find out compression length and extended length

on my truck, right now i am running shocks in similar position to stock, just moved mounts on teh frame and have the shocks that came with the truck and 4" lift. they measuer 26" eye to eye full extened, and i will tell you they are way to short, they allow very little down travel with my setup.
    new tow Rig rattles and smokes
    '89 K5 trail rig