GM Inside - Ford Inside - Ford Ranger - Jeep - American Muscle

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here

Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm Support Kit??

This is a discussion on Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm Support Kit?? within the Offroad forums, part of the General Discussion category; Has anyone ever actually installed one or currently running one? I've looked at the instructions and appears that you do ...

RAMZ TRK

Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm Support Kit??

Support FSC and see no ads! - Click Here
    Has anyone ever actually installed one or currently running one? I've looked at the instructions and appears that you do not have to remove anything but the nuts off of the idler arm and pitman arm. So to put them on you don't need any pullers or anything?
    2004 GMC Seirra ECSB 4X4 5.3 AUTO
    :fsc:
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's always easier to ask forgiveness, than ask permission!

Richard

Re: Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm Support Kit??

I would email cognito and ask them....i had a couple questions for them and they got back to me the same day with all the answers i needed.
    99 NBS RCLB
    6" superlift full drop
    16x8 AR chambers
    35" cooper atr's
    Yukon 4.11's
    Yukon duragrip
    K&N cold air
    gibson cat-back
    pioneer audio

RAMZ TRK

I did email them last week and still haven't heard anything. Maybe I'll try again.
    Last edited by fastlt1; 01-19-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    2004 GMC Seirra ECSB 4X4 5.3 AUTO
    :fsc:
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's always easier to ask forgiveness, than ask permission!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by fastlt1 View Post
    I did email them last week and still haven't heard anything. Maybe I'll try again.
    Hmmmm yea thats weird....i emailed them on a monday before work and i had my reply when i got home.....maybe try callin them
    99 NBS RCLB
    6" superlift full drop
    16x8 AR chambers
    35" cooper atr's
    Yukon 4.11's
    Yukon duragrip
    K&N cold air
    gibson cat-back
    pioneer audio

PM bradthomashines and ask him. he was running them on his truck and had them for sale in the suspension thread of the for sale forumn

6" Fabtech/1.5" zone BL/4.56's/Detroit Truetrac/20x10 KMC D-back's/36" baja claws/Bilstein 5100's/Volant CAI/ Pacesetter LT's/ 3" ORY/bullet and flowmaster/Baker Engineering Tune/Line-X Bed and rockers and more...also a voided warranty

Try calling them, great CS on the phone. I have the supports and idler pivot assmebly and love them. As bad as it sounds, I actually can't remember off the top of my head if I had to pull the pitman arm or not because I replaced mine anyways when I did the kit. I've had it for a couple of years now.

In Valor There Is Hope WildChevys's Avatar

i ran all the cognito front end parts on my '05 and was very impressed. why don't you just call cognito?

2013 Chevy Silverado
    Zone/Nitto/Gear Alloy/Airaid/Magnaflow/EFI Live/Pioneer/Alpine/and more
    2011 Chevy Tahoe

Rollin' in the BIG HOG mreeves23's Avatar

I run them on my vehicles and family's vehicles. I have installed a very high number of these kits as well. You do not need any special pullers at all. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. You need to remove the nut holding the pitman arm to the sector shaft coming out of the gear box and also the nut on the pitman arm under the centerlink, and then install brace as stated in instructions. Same for idler arm. Very easy install. On a half ton vehicle you have to install the sway bar relocation brackets which is also very easy. Just remove the bolts that hold the sway bar to the frame, install the brackets, then reinstall the sway bar. No special tools needed for anything.

New Show Truck (In Buildup Stage): 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 4x4, Duramax LMM, Suncoast III Allison, Custom 4-link, 2.5 Ton Rockwells, King Coilovers, 54" Boggers, 20x16 rims, Custom Paint, Interior, Audio/Video

Ive been eyeing this kit for awhile now, what did yall notice after installing it?

Quote Originally Posted by mreeves23 View Post
    I run them on my vehicles and family's vehicles. I have installed a very high number of these kits as well. You do not need any special pullers at all. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. You need to remove the nut holding the pitman arm to the sector shaft coming out of the gear box and also the nut on the pitman arm under the centerlink, and then install brace as stated in instructions. Same for idler arm. Very easy install. On a half ton vehicle you have to install the sway bar relocation brackets which is also very easy. Just remove the bolts that hold the sway bar to the frame, install the brackets, then reinstall the sway bar. No special tools needed for anything.
    correct..
    you can also goto cognitos website and take a look at the instructions online if your still having probs. its in adobe format.

08' vortecMAX,corsa sport catback,airaid intake, Blackbear tune coming soon ...

I think Pirate 4x4 has a full picture write up on installing those. I too am curious about them.

Transgo HD2 | Magnaflow DI/DO | CAI | BlackBear Tune| Dual Optima Red Tops: 2000 Cold Craking Amps | Denali Projectors |

Rollin' in the BIG HOG mreeves23's Avatar

Very easy install guys. I've installed tons of these braces. I highly recommend them. I can hook you guys with them too if needed. I did notice a tremendous difference in the steering tightness and handling. The steering is much more responsive and much tighter feeling. I also noticed improvement when adding a steering stabilizer to the half ton trucks/suvs. The braces are well worth the money!

New Show Truck (In Buildup Stage): 2007 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 4x4, Duramax LMM, Suncoast III Allison, Custom 4-link, 2.5 Ton Rockwells, King Coilovers, 54" Boggers, 20x16 rims, Custom Paint, Interior, Audio/Video

I have the cognito pitman.idler supports, idler pivot assembly, and heavy duty tie rods on my front end. Very beefy stuff. My front end is nice and tight.
    Back in a truck!
    Current: 2014 GMC Sierra Z71 All Terrain
    Past: 2002 Silverado|5.3|RCX|Cognito|Blackbear

Completed:HID TSX Projector Retrofit

Not to thread jack but i was told told when they tried to alignment truck told the idler arm was worn out and needs replace to keep it from pulling to the right.. I got keys and the cognito ucas would this kit help that..truck has 70k on it they only want 350 to install a new one hate to pay 280 for a kit still need to replace the arm bc it seems like 70k is a lot..does it pretty much prevent the arms from wearing out?
    06 Z71 CREW TINT, AUTO FOGS, HI4. FLOWS, BILLET GILLES, DEEZEE BLACK EURO GUARD W/ 2 150W KC DAYLIGHTERS, DEEZEE LOW PROFILE TOOLBOX, V3 BACKUP CAM, ORD LEVELING KIT W/ BILSTEINS & COGNITO CONTROL ARMS, BULLY DOG TUNER, 35" FIRESTONE DESTINATION MTS, SS GAUGE CLUSTER, HATCHIE BOTTOM SEAT COVERS

2500 6.0 vortec

I got them on my truck. Idn if i can tell if there on because when i put them on i replace the idle and pitman. But yea before that my steering was sloppy as hell. And then I tighten my steering box up and now it feels like a sports car lol.

2500 6.0 vortec 6in skyjacker lift with keys on 16in eagle wrapped in good year kevlar 285, LPP LT's, gmpp cam, efi live tuning software, true dual flowmaster 40 series Circle D 2500-2800.

I've got it on my truck an it helped alot! Steering is much better. Idk if you have to take of the idler or pitman. My buddy put mine on
    keys, 3 in blocks, 3 in body, XD hoss wheels with 315-75-16 Nitto Mud Grapplers,
    cognito pitman and idler support kit, Ram Air Hood, Bully Dog Triple dog Gt tuner.

2500 6.0 vortec

No you don't you just have to raise the idler arm just a bit.

2500 6.0 vortec 6in skyjacker lift with keys on 16in eagle wrapped in good year kevlar 285, LPP LT's, gmpp cam, efi live tuning software, true dual flowmaster 40 series Circle D 2500-2800.